C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 a good solution for playback of music files and Bluray rips?

I'm thinking about a Control4 system. Most of my equipment is pretty standard, so I expect it would work fine with Control4... Denon AVR4520ci, Sony 2015 LED TV, OPPO 103d Blu-ray player. Where I am struggling is finding a user friendly system for my network media file playback.

• Currently I have my media library installed on a QNAP NAS.
  • I have a lot of multi-channel SACD ISO files.
  • My DVD and Bluray collection is ripped to BDMV folders (a few ISOs and MKV files as well). My video collection consists almost entirely of concerts. So, the ability to navigate to different songs/chapters is very important to me.
  • I have a Windows 10 HTPC with both Kodi and Jriver Media Center.
  • I also have the latest Dune Solo 4k player.

I've been using Kodi mostly to play my video files, and Jriver for the audio files. In addition to playing SACD ISOs, which Kodi will not, Jriver has much more robust playlist features. For example, you can pick a song and choose for it play now, next, or at the end of the current playlist.

I'm using a hodge podge of devices to control playback currently... physical remotes, ios Simple Remote app, Jremote, Logitech wireless keyboard, etc. Can Control4 help me simplify things? My two main requirements:

1. Control playback of music - preferably SACD ISO files - though I am open to converting my SACD files to FLAC.
  2. Control playback of my DVD and Bluray rips using Windows PC software such as Kodi or Jriver or using a device such as the Dune Solo 4k.

Thanks!

1 if you convert to flac the new ea3 controller will play hi rez audio natively. Will deal.with all audio media beautifully. The now next later is native to the C4 Music interface.

2 all the devices yiu have can be controlled well by C4. The TV the dune etc.

There is an excellent (additional one time fee) Kodi driver.

Thanks!

A more follow-ups...

Can you confirm that the C4 Music interface will play Multi-channel FLAC?

If using the C4 interface for playing music, is there an iOS or Android app to browse and control playback? Preferably the app would show album/artist thumbnails?

Do you have a recommendation as to which option the C4 would integrate best with for playback of Blu-ray rips... Kodi for PC, Jriver for PC, or Dune Solo 4k? Again, I would prefer an option where I can browse my video collection and control playback with an iOS or Android app.

My TV, Denton receiver, and OPPO all support IP remote control. I assume this is the way C4 would control them (as opposed to IR)?

Thanks!

Multichannel Flac on C4 playback...don't know, probably not.

You can browse music trough C4 app on android/ios with covert art.

For rips Kodi on pc would be enough with Chowman Kodi driver for C4. It enables full IP control over Kodi and you get import of covert art from movies into C4 interface on C4 app, controlling playback included.

Denon and Sony have IP drivers, Oppo i think has serial driver.

Sent from my LG G2

1 hour ago, 9800pro said:

Multichannel Flac on C4 playback...don't know, probably not.

You can browse music trough C4 app on android/ios with covert art.

For rips Kodi on pc would be enough with Chowman Kodi driver for C4. It enables full IP control over Kodi and you get import of covert art from movies into C4 interface on C4 app, controlling playback included.

Denon and Sony have IP drivers, Oppo i think has serial driver.

Sent from my LG G2

Yep our Kodi Lite and Full drivers will integrate Kodi into Control4.  Our Full driver will also integrate pretty much everything including Movie Library, TV Show Library, Music Library, Video Addons, Audio Addons, Pictures and more.

www.chowmain.co.nz/kodi-xbmc-full-driver-for-control4

Thanks for all the replies!

Is anyone able to state definitively whether the EA-1 will play a multi-flannel multi-channel FLAC file? I assume the output would be over HDMI to my Denon AVR?

Alanchow, can you tell me a bit more about how the Kodi drivers would handle Bluray ripped to BDMV format? Does it support menus? If not, is there some way to navigate chapters? I have a lot of concerts ripped to BDMV folders (and a few MKV files). Specifically, using the Control4 iOS app, I want to be able to view and select from the list of songs/chapters.

Also, is your driver something that a dealer MUST install and configure, or is it something that the end users installs? Does it install on the  EA-1 controller, the PC running Kodi, or the iOS device running the Control4 app?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

2 hours ago, elee532 said:

Alanchow, can you tell me a bit more about how the Kodi drivers would handle Bluray ripped to BDMV format? Does it support menus? If not, is there some way to navigate chapters? I have a lot of concerts ripped to BDMV folders (and a few MKV files). Specifically, using the Control4 iOS app, I want to be able to view and select from the list of songs/chapters.

Also, is your driver something that a dealer MUST install and configure, or is it something that the end users installs? Does it install on the  EA-1 controller, the PC running Kodi, or the iOS device running the Control4 app?

Control4 is a product that dealers need to setup.  All drivers require dealer installation regardless if they are licenced or free.  Drivers are installed on the Control4 Controller and communicate directly to Kodi.  As such if something happens in the background and your IOS app or touchscreen is not awake Control4 will react (eg my system automatically turns off my TV & receiver when Kodi goes into screen saver mode).

Our driver does not handle files directly.  It communicates to Kodi and asks it to provide information about whats in its libraries and file paths.  As such we expose the items that Kodi supports in its library to the Control4 user interface.  Kodi does have the ability to playback unencrypted bluray disc and disc images but from my understanding it has limited menu support.

If you really need to have the ability to select songs/chapters from the Control4 interface then the only option at this stage is our Kaleidescape driver for Control4.  Residential Systems recently did an excellent press review of that driver - http://www.residentialsystems.com/blogentry/1192

Thanks alanchow. This is very helpful! Kaleidoscope is unfortunately out of my price range.

So, am I correct to assume that if Kodi on my PC supports the menu on my Blu-ray rips, then I'll have that same menu ability when controlling Kodi with your driver?

On another note, I see on your website about Sony 2015 Android based TVs. Am I correct in understanding that this means your Control4 driver PLUS my Sony KDL-55W800C.can replace having my Windows 10 PC run Kodi? If so, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using your app plus Sony TV vs. your app plus Kodi on a PC?

BTW, have you ever considered a Jriver Media Center driver?

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Thanks alanchow. This is very helpful! Kaleidoscope is unfortunately out of my price range.

So, am I correct to assume that if Kodi on my PC supports the menu on my Blu-ray rips, then I'll have that same menu ability when controlling Kodi with your driver?

On another note, I see on your website about Sony 2015 Android based TVs. Am I correct in understanding that this means your Control4 driver PLUS my Sony KDL-55W800C.can replace having my Windows 10 PC run Kodi? If so, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using your app plus Sony TV vs. your app plus Kodi on a PC?

BTW, have you ever considered a Jriver Media Center driver?

Thanks!

No Bluray menu's don't work the way you think it does.  They are scripted based menu's that are rendered by the player.  As such we cannot browse through the menu using a 3rd party interface.

You will be able to browse through your movie collection and select the movie to start playback.  Upon playback it will start the ISO.

Kaleidescape is the only media player that allows for specific chapter selection, song selection and bonus feature selection from individual movies.  The reason this is the case is because Kaleidescape actually go through every single movie and bookmark each feature.

If you have a Sony Android TV then yes our driver will allow you to launch Kodi installed on the TV for playback.  Note that you will still need some sort of storage for your files.  A NAS is my recommendation.  HTPC's are preffered as they are always on.  They will give you a better experience as launching the app takes upto 30 seconds.  During this time you do not have the ability to browse / search Kodi (as its not on).

We have had one or two people ask us in the past for JRiver integration however it is not enough to justify spending the few months of development time required to make the driver.

I think between Plex and Kodi we pretty much have the HTPC media player market covered.

Thanks again alanchow! I'm still kind of confused by the first point though. Right now, if I select to play one of my BDMV rips in Kodi, it bring up the Blu-ray menu - just as if I was playing the physical disc. Are you saying this would not be the case if I were using your Control4 driver to launch the movie?

Thanks!!

13 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Thanks again alanchow! I'm still kind of confused by the first point though. Right now, if I select to play one of my BDMV rips in Kodi, it bring up the Blu-ray menu - just as if I was playing the physical disc. Are you saying this would not be the case if I were using your Control4 driver to launch the movie?

Thanks!!

Yeah i think theres a bit of miscommunication.  Yes that will happen.  You select a movie in Control4 under the movies icon.  It will turn your tv on, switch to your HTPC and tell Kodi to play that ISO which in turn will play your BDMV rip just like you would at the moment.

What i was trying to imply was that you won't see the menu on your Control4 touchscreen or iPad/Android tablet.

3 hours ago, 9800pro said:

Also, Kodi is able to output multi-channel flac files so its probably better to use Kodi for all media playback.

Kodi is software - kodi doesn't 'output' anything - what is output will depend on the physical device Kodi is running on (C4 is similar - it'll 'play' multi channel FLAC, but the hardware doesn't output multi-channel)

Kodi is software - kodi doesn't 'output' anything - what is output will depend on the physical device Kodi is running on (C4 is similar - it'll 'play' multi channel FLAC, but the hardware doesn't output multi-channel)

Well he did said that he has Kodi running on pc. In that case multi channel flac will work trough hdmi. Also my statement was in regards with Kodi having ability to properly bitstream flac, stereo or multichannel. What good do you have from hardware that can pass flac but software on it couldn't...

Sent from my M4 Aqua

28 minutes ago, 9800pro said:

Well he did said that he has Kodi running on pc. In that case multi channel flac will work trough hdmi. Also my statement was in regards with Kodi having ability to properly bitstream flac, stereo or multichannel. What good do you have from hardware that can pass flac but software on it couldn't...

Sent from my M4 Aqua

Was just pointing out the difference.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. Alanchow, thanks for clarifying my Blu-ray menu playback confusion! Cyknight and 9800pro, thanks for the info on FLAC playback!

I'm disappointed and quite surprised that the EA music interface can't handle multi-channel FLAC. I was really impressed by what I saw of the app and the interface. At this point, I'm starting to think about just settling for Kodi with a Harmony remote. Does anyone know, is the multi-channel FLAC limitation a hardware one or something else?

Again - it'll handle the files, but playback is in stereo - I'm uncertain of the details on the chipsP used, but my guess is that the decision to go stereo is to ensure there is a complete synch across all outputs (HDMI, spdif coax and stereo analogue)

You can play your movies using the Free My Movies driver, in control 4.

You will need to pay about $60 for my movies software for the pc (mymovies.dk) we have used this for 4 years and works

well.

We play all our music via sonos, so not much help on that one !!

Yea, Kodi's own library is very well done. Our customers start with C4 app then go back to Kodi native Gui on screen for movie selection, it is somewhat more natural.

As for C4 not beeing able to output multichannel Flac...C4 is primarily stereo source, it doesn't have multichannel (surround) capabilities as AVRs have. If that's issue for you then use Kodi, it also has great control app on Android, Kore remote.

As for Harmony...once you get to know IP control you won't go back from C4.

Sent from my LG G2

6 hours ago, Mntneer said:

Your best bet in playing back Blu-Rays is to rip to MKV file and use Kodi to playback that file.

Two challenges that I have with this approach...

First, the idea of re-ripping all my discs again is pretty unappealing. I could live with issues #1 if there were a way to streamline to #2... As I mentioned above, pretty much my entire collection is concert discs. In need to be able to navigate to different songs. In the case of MKVs, this means having chapters named better than "chapter 1, 2, etc." I've been doing this manually after ripping the disc using MKVToolNix. This is tedious, and sometimes complicated when intros and transitions are chapters that don't get listed on the disc's case. Is there a way to streamline this? A database from which chapter names can automatically be pulled? Other ideas?

Thanks!!

Archived