C4 Forums | Control4

New Sonos Endorsed Drive is out!

msgreenf

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, blub said:

This just gotta be a joke right !?

Sonos/C4 bring out a new driver that only selects the source, in this case Sonos, within a C4 device/OSD and to select/browse the music I have to start the Sonos App !?

For user friendliness and integration this scores an astronomical -13 out in score range from 1-10.

And this after they release the "new" 8.1.x driver in 2016 - absolutely mind blowing

Go yell at Sonos, or don't use their stuff. Sonos is the one mandating this, by threat of possibly (eventually) breaking the current functionality.

Just now, thegreatheed said:

Go yell at Sonos, or don't use their stuff. Sonos is the one mandating this, by threat of possibly (eventually) breaking the current functionality.

But Control4 went with it as it seems....but they probably had to

If my "old" driver stops working I will just be Heos...easy as that....THX SONOS!!!

No more c4 or Sonos updates for me until it breaks completely

granted I understand Sonos would rather sell 16 connect amps instead of 2-3 connects for a large system but you'd need a whole second rack for them!! 

Maybe be they'll come out with a CI line or something special and just rape us harder on it. 

i think it will at some point

Yep. The important question is will it just stop working or will there be some sort of announcement....ah well maybe I will start selling the Sonos now...

I think that this was an unbelievable stupid move from Sonos....

26 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

So is there a back story to all this? Sounds like some of you were prepared for this endorsed driver to be terrible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Theory like hinted it (and it was a solid hint) weeks ago. It wasn't a secret to the dealers.. Theory saw it in the CEDIA booth

We also found and posted a link to the official announcement back then from C4 as they tried to put up a brave face by not mentioning the obvious... It was more what was actually left out in the carefully worded statement..... 

Quote:

"

Control4's development teams have been working closely together with SONOS to build a driver that leverages the Sonos API to build the very best user experience possible. The new Sonos driver is currently in certification and will be ready to go soon and we will be able to provide a full Sonos demo."

....to build the very best user experience available..."

Really ?? WTF ! - We already had that, they (Sonos) could just have helped bugfixing it...but no they decided to "very best screw it up and drive customers in the hands of Denon&Co...

But since Sonos never bothered to change the max library items or adding HighRes (I know you'll never hear it in those speakers - but still easier than having 2 copies if files) or do anything customer put on the wish list in Sonos forums.....the new Endorsed driver doesn't come as a surprise ...

"imprisoned" would have been a better name...

1 minute ago, blub said:

Quote:

"

Control4's development teams have been working closely together with SONOS to build a driver that leverages the Sonos API to build the very best user experience possible. The new Sonos driver is currently in certification and will be ready to go soon and we will be able to provide a full Sonos demo."

....to build the very best user experience available..."

Really ?? WTF ! - We already had that, they (Sonos) could just have helped bugfixing it...but no they decided to "very best screw it up and drive customers in the hands of Denon&Co...

But since Sonos never bothered to change the max library items or adding HighRes (I know you'll never hear it in those speakers - but still easier than having 2 copies if files) or do anything customer put on the wish list in Sonos forums.....the new Endorsed driver doesn't come as a surprise ...

"imprisoned" would have been a better name...

My sentiments exactly

Lawyers. Egos. Money. 

Ahead of endeavour. Common sense, and treating a customer base fairly and equitably.

C4 apparently had no choice. (we are told)

You be the judge then take action on what to do...

I pity folks with completely wireless zones though.. That is going to be tricky.. 

Spotify Connect

Heos or BlueSound

Look into those alternatives for wireless

There are other fixed wired alternatives

Read MSG's thread on Sonos vs Heos

And Control4 knocking on all the music service doors real hard.. 

Thats' your long term solution IMHO folks... 

W

39 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

Don't you all just line out of the Sonos into the multichannel amp? That way you only need one Sonos for each person who listens instead of one for each room.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You're missing the point. No more sub drivers. Favorites only. Oh and pause. You can pause

Archived