C4 Forums | Control4

Cut us some slack. And give us some "how to's"

41 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

It's about whether or not this monitoring networks "24/7 alarm process" style model is really practical for large private personal home networks

So are there dealers that really have monitors on clients networks and access to routers outside of composer? I know we can give the dealer access the my c4 site, but that is for composer.

My initial dealer would be happy to never hear from me again and did very little network setup. C4 almost felt plug and play for him in my existing network. Are there dealers out there that are this proactive on monitors?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, koxkp said:

So are there dealers that really have monitors on clients networks and access to routers outside of composer? I know we can give the dealer access the my c4 site, but that is for composer.

My initial dealer would be happy to never hear from me again and did very little network setup. C4 almost felt plug and play for him in my existing network. Are there dealers out there that are this proactive on monitors?

yes there are.

Yes. And it's the way C4 want to take things IMHO. Could be wrong. But that's why my little post has probably caused so much trouble around here. I've totally had enough of this "control freak" attitude and mentality around here. Networks are NON propriety. And generic. And that somehow I am some sort of loop da loop nut job for calling this out Goodbye. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me also add I also DONT HAVE A PROBLEM with dealers writing contracts for 24/7 monitoring either. If that's what their customers want? Fine. Just don't expect me to do it. Don't withhold information, manuals, FAQ's, and network user guides of GENERIC equipment and setups and think users of the Control4 product like me will be happy about that....

Goodbye.

22 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Yes. And it's the way C4 want to take things IMHO. Could be wrong. But that's why my little post has probably caused so much trouble around here. I've totally had enough of this "control freak" attitude from around here. Networks are NON propriety. And generic. Goodbye. .

they want to take it that way if people want them to, there is no requirement.  the only requirement to make c4 work is a good network

Sure. But to have a good network we need the information. Goodbye

Then take a class somewhere related to network. Network requirements for C4 are in 99% the same as every other HA system, it just need's to be stable and properly configured. For me as a dealer i like to see customers who understand network but i don't like to see him beeing proactive with it.

sent from my G2

Sure. But to have a good network we need the information. Goodbye

Do we? Isn't the network the plumbing of the system. I don't need to know how my electricity works to plug in a blender. I don't need to know how my plumbing works to fill a glass of water, or even to swap my dishwasher.

I probably know enough to be dangerous on all of them.

Why was your packet storm any more or less critical than a water pipe bursting on Sunday at 11.30 pm.

Then take a class somewhere related to network. Network requirements for C4 are in 99% the same as every other HA system, it just need's to be stable and properly configured. For me as a dealer i like to see customers who understand network but i don't like to see him beeing proactive with it.

sent from my G2

Just like you need stable electricity.

The customer gets the end points, the taps and shower heads and remotes and tvs the rest just works.

Ok. So why is there this Prosure line or whatever it's called that C4 has taken over and dealers are onselling? See? I dontt even know why that is? And what if I can't get them in my part of the world? How do I even know what I can source is similar? And what if I want to set up my own network monitoring? What other gear do I need? To do stuff like rebooting and the like? What are the Router settings? Why isn't there protocols and information released to allow me work out what to do? Let alone do it? Why isn't there like a simple wire shark like app? Why isn't the company focused on making this easier for the interested end user like me? Where are the clear to find and follow procedures?

Ok. So why is there this Prosure line or whatever it's called that C4 has taken over and dealers are onselling? See? I dontt even know why that is? And what if I can't get them in my part of the world? How do I even know what I can source is similar? And what if I want to set up my own network monitoring? What other gear do I need? To do stuff like rebooting and the like? What are the Router settings? Why isn't there protocols and information released to allow me to do that? Why isn't there like a simple wire shark like app? Why isn't the company focused on making this easier for the interested end user like me? Where are the clear to find and follow procedures?

Pakedge?

Because just like the plumber needs to know your plumbing can handle the fancy shower you want, or your electrician needs to know he can hook up that tesla 100A 480v fast charger your HA seller needs to know he can plug into a reliable backbone.

C4 does not mandate that is Pakedge but offers it as a piece of horizontal integration.

Wire shark on your plumbing, your electricity. Why do you need to reboot? A rock solid dealer install has helthchecks and auto reboots. Mine are handled on a wattbox with ping checks.

99% of control4 customers. Including most on this forum want their network as set and forget.

Ok. Then I ask a dealer on this forum to post the checklist to make it stable.

The same info that is on the dealer forum.

And update it on a regular basis.

And if nobody will put their hand up to do it I ask a C4 employee who has access to this information to do it instead.

Thanks.

Ok. Then I ask a dealer on this forum to post the checklist to make it stable.

The same info that is on the dealer forum.

And update it on a regular basis.

And if nobody will put their hand up to do it I ask a C4 employee who has access to this information to do it instead.

Thanks.

Yeah post proprietary information, get fired, lose your dealership.

Documents are marked confidential for a reason.

See. ???

I was right. (About Control 4's approach to this.)

100% vindicated.

Goodbye.

And I'm not posting my employers underwriting standards or risk management tools or anything else that will get me fired here or on an forum aligned with my work expertise.

Google good home networking or soho networking practices. Pick up a whitepaper from a major vendor in the space. Not much more than that I imagine.

May have been asked or raised earlier; or not even relevant to this discussion.

Up until about 2013, (when you could also see the list of equipment supported by drivers) C4 posted a list of network products it said were compatible with C4. It included Cisco RV22? and other products including Apple. Based on that list and discussion with my dealer, I bought the Cisco. I subsequently bought an Asia N66u based on direct feedback from C4. Is that what's being discussed here, a list of compatible network products?

Note: I recognize it's hard to maintain an up to date list.

3 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Ok. So why is there this Prosure line or whatever it's called that C4 has taken over and dealers are onselling? See? I dontt even know why that is? And what if I can't get them in my part of the world? How do I even know what I can source is similar? And what if I want to set up my own network monitoring? What other gear do I need? To do stuff like rebooting and the like? What are the Router settings? Why isn't there protocols and information released to allow me work out what to do? Let alone do it? Why isn't there like a simple wire shark like app? Why isn't the company focused on making this easier for the interested end user like me? Where are the clear to find and follow procedures?

I think the reason control4 doesnt do this for you is because control4 supports and trains their dealers, who then sell to and support you, the end user. Control4 is not currently DIY or direct to consumer. If that changes, I'm  sure there will be an abundance of more information about how to do things yourself to make your system compatible. 

Is there another automation company that publishes this kind of stuff for the consumer that Control4 should emulate?

May have been asked or raised earlier; or not even relevant to this discussion.

Up until about 2013, (when you could also see the list of equipment supported by drivers) C4 posted a list of network products it said were compatible with C4. It included Cisco RV22? and other products including Apple. Based on that list and discussion with my dealer, I bought the Cisco. I subsequently bought an Asia N66u based on direct feedback from C4. Is that what's being discussed here, a list of compatible network products?

Note: I recognize it's hard to maintain an up to date list.

That's part of it.

Also how to's on backup, rebooting and repowering. Remote network loggin and monitoring. Automated network loggin reports and messaging. What you can do to achieve this with Control4. Programming for automatic orderly shut down of director. Detailed software setups for routers. Recommended Setups of same. Running logs and what to look for. Etc etc. Do's and don'ts. I.e. Spanning tree. Snooping etc etc. One little box selected incorrectly can really screw things up apparently. :)

So is the power socket you plug these devices in.

Why do you keep using this analogy? It simply doesn't work for me. I'm sorry. Tv's have manuals and they run on the power grid. Computers same. Huge info out there. Control4 Director runs on a network. No manual. No information whatsoever on how to set up a network to let it run properly and efficiently with minimal downtime.

Archived