C4 Forums | Control4

Seeking HC-800 19V Power Supply

s1gnal

Just order a new power supply from ebay of the correct Voltage & Power Rating & then if your any use with basic electrical wire cutters/strippers then simply recycle the old cable & connector from the old power supply spliced to the new supply.

Or do you have no old power supply at all?

or easier and faster just pickup a universal notebook power supply from any computer store, they are switchable to 19v and have all the heads to interchange (no splicing or soldering required). just make sure you put the head on with the correct polarity otherwise you may do damage. also make sure the current requirements are met. 

I too am looking for a replacement power supply.

I went on a trip to Best Buy today and bought 3 universal power supplies, just in case, with the correct voltage and amperage.  NONE of the tips fit!

Any ideas out there? Is this available from Control4?

Thanks!

You have to get a dealer to order this directly from Control4. I tried tons of universal power supplies with no luck. 

Alternatively you can solder the leads from a universal 19 v power supply to the connector and heat shrink it. 

On 11/27/2016 at 6:17 AM, blub said:

Mhh any universal power supply with 19v and right amount/wattage should work. Just need the right diameter plug

Thats the exact issue. Any 19v supply works. The connector appears to be non standard. 

I bought a meanwell PSU thats 19V and above the rated amperage. After i had sourced a viable power supply i then asked the components store to supply me with the female that goes with it for surface mount on a PCB. Thats how i got my hands on it. The PCB on the HC800 has a lot of solder to support the female so be ready to turn the soldering iron to max and wait for the heat soak to set in. Slow process but at least power supply is an off the shelf unit now.

1 hour ago, Suresoft said:

I bought a meanwell PSU thats 19V and above the rated amperage. After i had sourced a viable power supply i then asked the components store to supply me with the female that goes with it for surface mount on a PCB. Thats how i got my hands on it. The PCB on the HC800 has a lot of solder to support the female so be ready to turn the soldering iron to max and wait for the heat soak to set in. Slow process but at least power supply is an off the shelf unit now.

? Why not just get the proper MALE end and solder THAT on the powersupply?

I searched every supplier here. For some reason Control4 uses a non standard interface. Well maybe that's in South Africa. I could have maybe bought a multi format one but i have never had any joy with those as the connection is never really a truly solid one. So with my skill-set it was a far more reliable option to change to something readily available and Meanwell PSU's are really good quality. 

Also the cost of the PSU was about $35 and the female like $1. Not sure what an original replacement PSU would cost.

1 hour ago, Suresoft said:

I searched every supplier here. For some reason Control4 uses a non standard interface. Well maybe that's in South Africa. I could have maybe bought a multi format one but i have never had any joy with those as the connection is never really a truly solid one. So with my skill-set it was a far more reliable option to change to something readily available and Meanwell PSU's are really good quality. 

Also the cost of the PSU was about $35 and the female like $1. Not sure what an original replacement PSU would cost.

Pretty sure the male end is pretty standard - just not for 19v powerlupplies. Course cant speak for South Africa - but I can pick them up here at at least one chain store, and cheaper at a local specialty store.....(the end, not the PSU WITH the end already one it)

On 11/26/2016 at 10:28 PM, C4RVA said:

You have to get a dealer to order this directly from Control4. I tried tons of universal power supplies with no luck. 

That was the original request, @C4RVA - was hoping a dealer would help out here with placing a part order for me, given that C4 couldn't get themselves to source a common male/female DC interface for the HC-800 power supply.

Soldering is not in my future : )

On 11/29/2016 at 5:52 PM, prabeau said:

Replaced mine with a universal and it had the correct connector .

Would you mind taking a moment to share what universal power adapter you found that has the correct male input, @prabeau ?

Thanks in advance...

On 11/30/2016 at 0:29 PM, Cyknight said:

Pretty sure the male end is pretty standard - just not for 19v powerlupplies. Course cant speak for South Africa - but I can pick them up here at at least one chain store, and cheaper at a local specialty store.....(the end, not the PSU WITH the end already one it)

@Cyknight - the specs or name of this male connector type is the biggest mystery here: when you have a sec, would you mind sharing a link to the exact male connector tip that would work for the HC-800 PSU?

many thanks in advance!

39 minutes ago, s1gnal said:

@Cyknight - the specs or name of this male connector type is the biggest mystery here: when you have a sec, would you mind sharing a link to the exact male connector tip that would work for the HC-800 PSU?

many thanks in advance!

I'll see if I can check tonight.

Archived