C4 Forums | Control4

Pioneer AV receivers dropping off Control4 network

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Then EA5, HC800 and more than anything - I/O extender. Cheapest way still to add a lot of serial at a central location.

If local is needed, alternatives are pretty easily available these days with drivers (and products) avaible from Houselogix, and if memory serves Blackwire.

I think you misunderstood -- I'm saying I didn't realize the HC-250 had serial control as an option. How do I connect the 250  to the RS-232 port on my receiver? Does it take some special C4 cable? Or maybe I'm still lost.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C4 sells the cable, but it's a standard enough 3.5mm stereo jack to rs232 db9 connector.

Same cable for HC250 and EA series - HC250, EA1 and EA5 can use the first 2 IR ports as serial ports instead (EA5 this is in addition to the two built in db9 connectors), while the EA3 can use the first 3.

~Shrug~ yours may be an issue, it has been the most reliable gear overall for m in general.

And while I would love to use IP control, simple fact is that receiver manufacturers are incapable, or uncaring, to make a receivers network stable - be it for control or for it's own internal uses - Pioneer's app fails to connect, Yamaha crashes on Netflix, Onkyo network cards just fail, Denon the same, if less so. Marantz just stops responding until rebooted.

At some point - I pick my battle and go for something that gives me the exact same capabilities, but with basically 100% reliability. So it's been serial first for receivers for me for some time now.

Sony? Touching wood and hoping I don't jinx it.

2 hours ago, SMHarman said:

Sony? Touching wood and hoping I don't jinx it.

Good product (assuming you're talking SE series) - but overpriced. If I have two receivers in a project I can get an equal if not better SC series Elite in AND an extra i/o plus cables to do it over serial.

Good product (assuming you're talking SE series) - but overpriced. If I have two receivers in a project I can get an equal if not better SC series Elite in AND an extra i/o plus cables to do it over serial.

Mine is an ES1800 I got open box from Amazon Warehouse Deals for under $300!

• 1 year later...

Was there ever any resolution to this issue?  I have a Pioneer SC-1328 and it seems to drop off the network every couple of weeks. 

Should I just switch to using serial?  It also has an IR in jack on the back.  How do you use that?  Just plug a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male-male cable into the C4 IR jacks?

Here are the connections on my AVR:

sc1328 back.png

10 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Was there ever any resolution to this issue?  I have a Pioneer SC-1328 and it seems to drop off the network every couple of weeks. 

Should I just switch to using serial?  It also has an IR in jack on the back.  How do you use that?  Just plug a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male-male cable into the C4 IR jacks?

Here are the connections on my AVR:

sc1328 back.png

serial all the way IMO. i have 2 pioneer receivers running over serial for years now and they have been rock solid.

One thing I have noticed with some if the older onkyos is that when the network goes out. And you go into the OSD the network section is greyed out. Serial control is also on the same board which stops working as well. I know onkyo and pioneer are together but not sure if your model was before that. Luckily they extended the warranty on that and fixed it for free 5 years after it expired

I wonder if a "theurapeutic" power cycle of devices like this would help - assuming that they were connected to an outlet with a C4 controllable switch.  Then every week or night you do a power cycle.

13 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

One thing I have noticed with some if the older onkyos is that when the network goes out. And you go into the OSD the network section is greyed out. Serial control is also on the same board which stops working as well. I know onkyo and pioneer are together but not sure if your model was before that. Luckily they extended the warranty on that and fixed it for free 5 years after it expired

I am not sure about whether it is the same as the Onkyos.  My unit is from circa 2014 and it is a rebadged SC-72 as I bought mine at Best Buy and they often use different model numbers for Best Buy type of stores vs others.

Anybody ever try a firmware update?  Here is the update notes for the Pioneer SC-72 - network stability is one of the items addressed.  And they also mention C4.  But it isn't clear when these updates were released, unless someone can decode the version numbers.  edit - the most recent firmware update was Dec 2016

Ver 1-148-020-015-118
- Firmware Update for Pandora Subscribers
Note:
- This version is not available via the internet update method.

Ver 1-148-020-015-107
- Support Spotify
- Improve the stability of HDMI connection.
- Improve the stability of NETWORK features.

Ver 1-135-020-015-086
- Control 4 update
- Improve the stability of HDMI connection.

Ver 1-130-020-015-075
- Volume indication of iControlAV 2013 is not changed.

6 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Power cycling didn't help my onkyo, not sure if the pioneer reacts any differently but that could be a bandaid

Power cycling does bring it back on the network, but I am not sure if a nightly power cycle would prevent the issue from ever occurring.  Maybe if it was something like a memory leak where the issue would build up over time and then crap out.  My experience has been that it works for a week or two before dropping off.  I haven't seen it drop off shortly after being restored, but the sample size is small.

I think I will try the firmware update first.

5 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I am not sure about whether it is the same as the Onkyos.  My unit is from circa 2014 and it is a rebadged SC-72 as I bought mine at Best Buy and they often use different model numbers for Best Buy type of stores vs others.

Not sure, they purchased then some time in 2014 but likely the parts would have taken the next gen to be integrated with similar internals?

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Power cycling does bring it back on the network, but I am not sure if a nightly power cycle would prevent the issue from ever occurring.  Maybe if it was something like a memory leak where the issue would build up over time and then crap out.  My experience has been that it works for a week or two before dropping off.  I haven't seen it drop off shortly after being restored, but the sample size is small.

I think I will try the firmware update first.

I would definitely start with the FW

It must know we are talking about it - I just got this notification from my fingbox:  ( I wonder if someone turned it on and that caused it to come back)

The device 'TV Room AVR' in
'Home'
went online
Network Home
Device TV Room AVR
Vendor Pioneer / SC-1328/CUXJ
IP Address 192.168.1.165
MAC Address 74:5E:1C:36:88:FE
Time of discovery Today 11:22
Time of previous change down since 02:18
Last 24 hours 2 state changes, 62% uptime

I never did the FW update on my SC-62. It does drop off (rarely) and cold boot brings it back. It rarely shows up as an Airplay target (practically never) which doesn't really matter, just makes me wonder about its networking stability. I use RS-232 control.

My system was on the 1-135-020-015-086 firmware - there are a few versions newer, including one that specifically mentions improving network features.  So I upgraded to 1-148020-015-118.   and now I will have to give it a month or two to see if it works.

6 hours ago, Elvis said:

I never did the FW update on my SC-62. It does drop off (rarely) and cold boot brings it back. It rarely shows up as an Airplay target (practically never) which doesn't really matter, just makes me wonder about its networking stability. I use RS-232 control.

Actually I should check my Elites, may have new updates again. Note that I STRONGLY recommend using a USB to update vs network. Just more stable and quicker.

Oh and I have an SC-62 as well as one of them - it's been flawless for me but I did update firmware some time ago.

Archived