C4 Forums | Control4

Echo or Echo Dot?

AshMania

Hi all

Was thinking of jumping on the echo bandwagon - is there any advantages to using Echo Dot vs the Echo while integrating it with C4?

If using Echo Dot, I can imagine that any voice feedback would probably have slight delays via the C4 managed ceiling speakers - would that be too annoying?

Anything else that would be a consideration?

Thanks

I have both of these in my house. I end up using the echo at the kitchen table when I want to listen to music. I could put a dot there and wire it down to the rack  so that I can utilize my ceiling speakers but that would be a pain.   The sound that comes out of the Amazon echo is amazing. It fills the whole kitchen 

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Indeed. Use the echo if you want to play music directly. Use the dot if you only want voice control.  Sound from the Dot is perfect for voice feedback and the Dot is much smaller.

If you were designing a new house with Control4, what would you do?  Using the Echo for music defeats the purpose of having speakers in the ceilings, doesn't it?  I am still waiting for somebody (Control4?) to publish the optimal approach to integrating Echo - I have a few months to go on my build before I need to make final decisions - hopefully there is more clarity soon...

I like the dot because it is the only solution to play audible that I can find (other than Bluetooth streaming). I understand the issues of integrating early technology - I am hoping Amazon come out with an updated version that connects to an Ethernet cable and can use that for all audio, etc before we finish our build and then I can buy these and swap it out for a later version in a few years which hopefully can still do everything with Ethernet!

Bedot21.   Regardless which way you go I would still run audio cable to every room pre-built. I did this with my new build and almost have used every single wire . It's so easy with Control4 when you have a party just to select different rooms to send the audio 

No way an Echo is a substitute for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.  Just wire the Dots to a audio matrix (which would semi-future proof for any future device that has an audio out connection).  I haven't done it yet, but its been described elsewhere in some other topics on Echo.

8 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Honestly I'd go with Google Home. Handling Audible shouldn't be too difficult...you just need a source (I.E.: Sonos) that can play Audible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonos is no longer compatible with Audible so that doesn't work - as far as I have been able to identify, there is no solution for getting audible through control4, controlled by the control4 panel.  We are trying to avoid the children taking phones/ipads upstairs to their bedrooms (which is why streaming from an ipad isn't helpful) - this is why we would like them to be able to control their audio through their Control4 touchscreen panel or voice controlled with Echo or another solution.

55 minutes ago, turls said:

No way an Echo is a substitute for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.  Just wire the Dots to a audio matrix (which would semi-future proof for any future device that has an audio out connection).  I haven't done it yet, but its been described elsewhere in some other topics on Echo.

Yes - which would mean running audio cables all over the house or perhaps doing it over CAT6?

Archived