C4 Forums | Control4

Who has justified $300

DerekWPE

i want to buy one ,how is this done i pay and you give me a # or a have to wait

Thanks

You conact your dealer, pay him/her money, and he upgrades your system if you arent already on 1.7 and gives you a license key for the software that you've downloaded to your iphone from the iTunes store. This is all presuming that you have a good Wi-fi network in your house too already.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all those complaining about the price: it would be a very silly move of C4 to offer a TS solution that would be cheaper than their own. We want them to stay alive and keep bringing out cool products, don't we?

It fits nicely beneath a 7" screen in price and size, but above the 4". Just good business.

Joachim

At 300 per phone considering this is software only thats to much, yes i know what alot of you are going to say about all the R&D ect. but lets behonest this is a little exorbitant for SOFTWARE ONLY by no means was I expecting it for free (none of the good toys are:)) but to make this a per unit license @ 300 per i personally find steep and will not be purchasing, ill just have to stick with my 2 10.5"s for now

ha, the $300 is too expensive but you have 2 10.5's? :) I'm jealous!

$300 is highway robbery. The iPhone is essentially a personal device. Not a communal device like a wall mounted touch screen. And as such should not command the premium that has been set on it. It's pure personal bling. Do I like it, yes. Will I buy it, no ... on pure principle.

Do we want Apple to stay alive, yes. Why not sell the app for $300 on the AppStore and let everybody get their cut and see how it does. This licensing model cuts Apple out of the revenue model. Quite purposely. Based on that fact alone, I will not recommend the iPhone App to anyone.The business aspect is unsavoury ! And the marketing practice is short sided.

So the argument has been that $300 is a reasonable price because Control4 needs to recoup the loss of not selling you one of their touch screens. Does that mean that I will have to pay a license in the future to use a Netgear EVA8000 device once Control4 comes out with their video endpoint? Same situation....right?

In both cases I would being a 3rd party device instead of a control4 device. In one I have to pay a license and in another I probably don't.

Don't get me wrong, I will break down and buy the iPhone license app. I think the concept is awesome. One less device to have to deal with in my life. I just find the pricing model discrepancy interesting.

- Joe

I think it's too early to say what the video endpoint will/will not do or cost.

You missed the point. I was pointing out inconsistencies in the pricing model.

Maybe a better example would have been with Thermostat's. Do I need to pay a license when I use a 3rd party thermostat? Same situation. Control4 is still losing potential revenue.

- Joe

It's a valid point. With other components, C4 went as far to build driverworks to encourage dealers at least to build their own interfaces for other components. But they drew the line with the GUI and instead of encouraging integration, they discouraged it a little by charging for it. Now, before we reopen all the old points I recognize that third party man-hours went into developing the iPhone GUI. But it is interesting that with other drivers, the culture seems to be much more around sharing for free even though some of these also took considerable effort.

You can probably compare with the dimmers: it took a while before they opened up the light proxy - I think because they first wanted to regain a bit of the investment made to develop them...

On another note: I would be very happy with a PC navigator app, even if it costs the double of the iPhone app!

At 300 per phone considering this is software only thats to much' date=' yes i know what alot of you are going to say about all the R&D ect. but lets behonest this is a little exorbitant for SOFTWARE ONLY by no means was I expecting it for free (none of the good toys are:)) but to make this a per unit license @ 300 per i personally find steep and will not be purchasing, ill just have to stick with my 2 10.5"s for now[/quote']

ha, the $300 is too expensive but you have 2 10.5's? :) I'm jealous!

Its not the money its the principle of the whole thing, i just find 300 for software out of line

On another note: I would be very happy with a PC navigator app, even if it costs the double of the iPhone app!

Why is there no such app? Surely the code for Navigator on a controller could be ported over relatively cheaply or Web Navigator could be used on a LAN so it is much faster.

$300 is highway robbery. The iPhone is essentially a personal device. Not a communal device like a wall mounted touch screen. And as such should not command the premium that has been set on it. It's pure personal bling. Do I like it, yes. Will I buy it, no ... on pure principle.

Do we want Apple to stay alive, yes. Why not sell the app for $300 on the AppStore and let everybody get their cut and see how it does. This licensing model cuts Apple out of the revenue model. Quite purposely. Based on that fact alone, I will not recommend the iPhone App to anyone.The business aspect is unsavoury ! And the marketing practice is short sided.

Well stated. I agree.

I don't have one, but played around with the ipod touch at my dealer's office. The thing is all bling. everything was fast, you could instantly change channels, rooms, etc. and you had access to all of the lights in the project which is a nice bonus. the touch screen is terrific and the unit easily fits in your jeans pocket. I'm thinking of getting one for our theater, but to watch tv, its kind of labor intensive because if you want to change channels, change the volume, you have to be on one screen. If I want my dvr functions, you have to hit a button to bring up a new screen. decisions decisions. I need to ask my dealer if they're using an hc1000 or 300 because that may have been why everything was so quick. I'd be curious to know how the touch operates in a much bigger project than what they have at their office. overall, it seems like the software does exactly what you expect. I think its kind of like having the 4'' mts with you in a portable form.

tum

Then don’t purchase the application.

$300 is well worth it and a acceptable price.

Engineering can’t work for free.

They have families, bills, and I am sure they like to eat just like you.

$300 is highway robbery. The iPhone is essentially a personal device. Not a communal device like a wall mounted touch screen. And as such should not command the premium that has been set on it. It's pure personal bling. Do I like it' date=' yes. Will I buy it, no ... on pure principle.

Do we want Apple to stay alive, yes. Why not sell the app for $300 on the AppStore and let everybody get their cut and see how it does. This licensing model cuts Apple out of the revenue model. Quite purposely. Based on that fact alone, I will not recommend the iPhone App to anyone.The business aspect is unsavoury ! And the marketing practice is short sided.[/quote']

Then don’t purchase the application.

$300 is well worth it and a acceptable price.

Engineering can’t work for free.

They have families, bills, and I am sure they like to eat just like you.

You are missing the point and your comment contradicts itself. You said and, and I quote again, "$300 is well worth it and a acceptable price. Engineering can’t work for free." If you truly agree with what you stated above, where is Apples cut? Why is the Apple store being cut out of the loop? DGBrown stated

. . . .Do we want Apple to stay alive, yes. Why not sell the app for $300 on the AppStore and let everybody get their cut and see how it does. This licensing model cuts Apple out of the revenue model. Quite purposely. Based on that fact alone, I will not recommend the iPhone App to anyone.The business aspect is unsavoury ! And the marketing practice is short sided.

How much of the $300.00 is C4 giving to Apple for "Engineering" in the development and on going maintenance of the App Store? The Apple store's revenues are based on the price of the App itself. Since C4's App is free Apple is not getting anything. For that matter so is Command Fusions iPhone App for Crestron and I do not agree with their practice of charging on the back-end but that's a different matter. CF's iViewer app for the iPhone is $69.00 NOT $300.00. Also, Crestron plans to release their iPhone app for free with NO back-end charges.

If C4 wnats to charge GREAT. If you read my other posts regarding this topic Im all for C4 charging. BUT I disagree with them giving it away for free to avoid paying Apple a fee, and then charging on the back end. Thats not right. If it's free on the App store THEN it's FREE period.

I have mine. Works nice. Current version does not support Rhapsody at all, and it seemed to struggle to pull up "now playing" info. But hopefully the app gets updated - the nice part is updates come through the iPhone app store instead of having to have a dealer come and visit you (which is pretty much what you have to do to install it).

Its a lifetime license per phone - if you upgrade to a new phone the old license still works.

I'm confused, how is a license key on backorder? It's just a number that unlocks the software like every other license key, right?

It is actually printed on paper like a 4Sight subscription. No paper no license. I do not think that C4 distributes a soft version of the key.

Archived