C4 Forums | Control4

HC-800 & High Res Audio

grant0830

Quick question, we reciently built a new home and moved some of our old gear (HC-800, AVM-16A-B) to power 6 zones of triad inceiling R-28's in the home. Looking to add the new triad 8 zone power amp for high res audio but would we need to upgrade to an EA-5 to accomplish the high res audio? Is high res audio worth the hardware upgrade? 

What would the other reasons be to upgrade the hc-800 and old c4 audio amp to new gear? 

Thank you all in advance!

Mhhh. Well first of all, to get HiRez, you'll need EA controllers, HC800 cannot do it (it's maxed at CD quality). Don;t need the new triad as such. The difference? that'll depend on how many streams you want (goes down as number of physical conections go up, be they in use or not) - depends on speakers as well, and your hearing.....

Honestly - I'd say no, as a standalone feature it's not worth upgrading.

Streaming audio is not high-res. There are no supported streaming services that stream at better than CD-quality audio (and very few that even exist overall). The HC800 will stream audio just fine-it will stream multiple feeds just fine.

The thing that you miss from an EA controller is a better signal-to-noise ratio in regards to converting the audio. You might actually hear that in your setup because with the new 8-zone amp and the R28s, you have high SNRs on those products.

high res audio.png

1 hour ago, thegreatheed said:

Streaming audio is not high-res. There are no supported streaming services that stream at better than CD-quality audio (and very few that even exist overall).

That's not strictly true, Tidal offers a small quantity of MQA format audio streaming music titles which are higher than CD quality and can natively be played back via Bluesound audio equipment

Nothing on TIDAL's site says that they offer better than CD quality. 

MQA is just another compression format, it's not > CD quality. TIDAL themselves say they deliver lossless, CD-quality FLAC files. The HC-800 supports 44.1k/16b, which is CD quality.

What Is High Fidelity Sound?

High fidelity sound is uncompressed music files. TIDAL HiFi relies on FLAC, a more robust and realistic streaming format. MP3 files are compressed to decrease file size but also take out any extra details which can cut quality. FLAC offers CD-quality audio in its purest form.

With a TIDAL HiFi subscription, you have the ability to stream 48.5 million tracks in lossless quality. Lossless content is uncompressed CD quality music, you hear the music the way the artists intended for their content to be heard.

TIDAL now offers Master Quality Authenticated technology, which is a way of compressing digital music without limitations to deliver guaranteed master-quality sound. This allows subscribers to hear music just as it was recorded in the studio; an audio experience as the artist intended.

• 3 months later...

Hey hey, my my

Neil Young can stream in Hi-Fi

This pertains to the new Neil Young Archives

As Young says in his blog post, “an MP3 file will stream from 60 up to 320 kpbs, a 44.1kHz/16bit (CD) at about 700 kpbs, and a high-res 192kHz/24bit recording at 2500 to 6000 kbps.”

Now to connect a PC's audio out to a C4 controller.

Yes, because you would think that a 300 is "better" than a 250.  Was the 250 released before the 300 - it doesn't look like it as the 250 is much newer looking in terms of design.  And the 250 has HDMI while the 300 does not.  I do realize that the 300 was more of a higher end controller in its day - like when I installed my system in about 2008.

16 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Yes, because you would think that a 300 is "better" than a 250.  Was the 250 released before the 300 - it doesn't look like it as the 250 is much newer looking in terms of design.  And the 250 has HDMI while the 300 does not.  I do realize that the 300 was more of a higher end controller in its day - like when I installed my system in about 2008.

300 is a lot older

As per above, the 300 was released WELL before the HC250.

And the 300 was never 'higher end' either. The 'line' of the time was 200 300 500 and 1000.

For all intends and purposes the 200/300/500 weren't specifically 'better' and more or less on the same field. The difference lay more in the number of i/o and existence of an internal hdd or not. the 200 was a BIT weaker but not by much to the point that they had the same index level - the 300 and 500 were essentially the same device as far as processor etc was concerned. It was only the 1000 that was a real 'master' controller intended only for the larger systems.

The HC250, while arguably a replacement for the 200, is in all respects far more capable than anything than the 1000 from previous gens. Off the top of my head, the HC200,300 and 500 were all indexed at 100, the later HC200b/300c at 130 the HC1000 at 1000. The hc250 was indexed at 500 while the HC800 was 1800.

These were rough index number meant for quick comparison only and certainly are not all-telling (for example the HC250 acted faster for audio server processing than the hc1000 did when used as a main controller) but it gives you a bit of an idea on their relative 'power'.

No I do not remember seeing a similar index report for the EA series before anyone asks.

5 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

The HC1000 should be da bomb emoji378.png then!

Except that the HC1000 had ZERO i/o. And yes relative to the rest of the generation it was FAR superior. Frankly systems running on an HC500 or 300 could easily start seeing slowdowns in control etc, whereas the HC1000 never had an issue running a system regardless of size.

Of course, the 800 already outclassed it and while I've seen no index comparison as stated, I would expect the EA1 probably has a higher rating than the HC1000 if compared in a similar way.

'Course your average KIA these days will leave even the best vehicle from the Model T days in the dust in speed, acceleration, safety, cargo space and comfort. (the T wasn't exactly top the bill - it's recognized for being the first affordable vehicle, not the BEST vehicle of it's time, though arguably the more reliable, say like a Honda Civic B))

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.