C4 Forums | Control4

CONGRATULATIONS CONTROL4!

38 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Very Interesting Wapp 

If they are thinking this way, hopefully thing will move forward  

Yes it's been along time coming Gazza ol sport... Interesting test match we have here going on - crikey ol chap Lordy Lordy no... could it be England is up for "the save"??

With the ball swinging around, Why the heck didn't Smith send you in again to bat? :rolleyes:

But they are a bit disingenuous when they are saying this is new functionality for your end consumer.  I am still on 2.9 but my understanding is that When...Then has less functionality than Composer HE.  So what they are really providing is the ability for a less tech savvy consumer to do some programming.  And if you didn't have 4sight then it is also more expensive as it is $100/yr as compared to HE which is a one-time fee of $150 and includes one year of 4sight.

Does When...Then offer any functionality that has not been available for more than a decade to C4 consumers using Composer HE?  My understanding is no.

And you still have to bother your dealer for very minor things - like want to change your Roku player from HDMI1 to HDMI2.

My concern with When...Then is that they will deprecate HE and say that end consumers can use When...Then as it is "way better".  Hopefully not, especially since I am assuming that it doesn't cost a lot to maintain HE as they just turn off a couple of the capabilities of Pro.  I really hope they go the other way and add a Prosumer category where they allow some end users to get Composer Pro, even if they offer it as a 4Sight Pro subscription that is an extra $100/yr and require some online training.

I think you are probably right that the last part won't happen, but I don't think they really have that much to lose.  I don't think that dealers would be losing much revenue and if you really, really want Composer Pro I am sure you could find a way to get it.  And the folks in that category, like many/most of us here, are C4 evangelists.  When I talk to my tech-savvy friends about HA I only give lukewarm recommendations of C4 due to the limited functionality available to an end user.

Yes, I have had this conversation dozens of times.  I am not saying that anything is better but for a DIYer it can be a bit restrictive.  They don't want to have to call a dealer for everything and they may be comfortable mixing and matching with Hue, Nest, SmartThings, etc.  And integration will likely get better with stuff like Alexa and Apple HomeKit.

2 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Yes it's been along time coming Gazza ol sport... Interesting test match we have here going on - crikey ol chap Lordy Lordy no... could it be England is up for "the save"??

With the ball swinging around, Why the heck didn't Smith send you in again to bat? :rolleyes:

We are chasing 250 already - With a bit of luck and Gods help we may get a draw. 

Why did your lads not make us follow on ? 

It would be all over Now !!

I am ok with that as long as they don't neglect HE or dummy it down, that is my biggest concern on this.

HE is PRO with the system design tab renamed monitoring and the connections tab blocked.

I can't see any complexity in the release cycle update of PRO and HE

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

HE is PRO with the system design tab renamed monitoring and the connections tab blocked.

I can't see any complexity in the release cycle update of PRO and HE

And add in Mitch’s Device Renamer driver and you virtually have System Design in its totality anyway... so all that is missing is the ability to add / delete drivers and Connections (maybe Connections would be a dangerous thing to give people like me ;))

It would be nice to have the ability to rename rooms, and the ability to move a device from one room to another, and the ability to install drivers that are "virtual" and not for hardware, like Weather Underground or WebHooks (or even Mitch's device renamer driver), and I am sure that there are a few more things I am missing as well.

And add in Mitch’s Device Renamer driver and you virtually have System Design in its totality anyway... so all that is missing is the ability to add / delete drivers and Connections (maybe Connections would be a dangerous thing to give people like me )
It would be nice to have the ability to rename rooms, and the ability to move a device from one room to another, and the ability to install drivers that are "virtual" and not for hardware, like Weather Underground or WebHooks (or even Mitch's device renamer driver), and I am sure that there are a few more things I am missing as well.
When you get down to a list this short you realize how much control, Control4 gives the end user.

Archived