C4 Forums | Control4

iTunes/AirPlay Driver Max Volume On Initial Adjustment

Hello All,

I recently had the iTunes/AirPlay driver installed and I noticed some odd behavior.  When play the first song from after everything coming from an off state the initial volume up or down sets my iMac volume to 100%, and since I am using AirPlay it sets my receiver volume to 100% as well.  Thankfully I have a limit set on my receiver so no damage occurs.  The odd part is that after this happens on the first song it isn't an issue for any song after, unless the room is powered off and the process is started anew. 

Any thoughts on why this might be happening?  The iTunes/AirPlay driver version is 100.

Thanks!

-Ty

Hello All,
I recently had the iTunes/AirPlay driver installed and I noticed some odd behavior.  When play the first song from after everything coming from an off state the initial volume up or down sets my iMac volume to 100%, and since I am using AirPlay it sets my receiver volume to 100% as well.  Thankfully I have a limit set on my receiver so no damage occurs.  The odd part is that after this happens on the first song it isn't an issue for any song after, unless the room is powered off and the process is started anew. 
Any thoughts on why this might be happening?  The iTunes/AirPlay driver version is 100.
Thanks!
-Ty
There is a setting in the driver to allow airplay to control volume. Sounds like that is disabled.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have Composer home edition but I don’t see anything regarding volume. Is the setting only accessible in the full Composer for integrators?
Nope. It's in the driver properties if it's there

Mix up above of shairbridge vs itunes driver - the latter will not have volume.

It sounds like there may be something set on the ROOM default volume - or if not the Denon is going 100% volume due to settings on the Denon itself (follow airplay device)

I just wanted to fill everyone in what the fix ended up being.

Ultimately ShairBridge was installed and the iTunes/AirPlay driver was reconfigured to AirPlay to the ShairBridge rather than my AirPlay enabled receiver.  Also the ShairBridge driver was configured to "Ignore Source Volume."

Thanks to @eddy.trochez for the help on this one!

-Ty

I just wanted to fill everyone in what the fix ended up being.
Ultimately ShairBridge was installed and the iTunes/AirPlay driver was reconfigured to AirPlay to the ShairBridge rather than my AirPlay enabled receiver.  Also the ShairBridge driver was configured to "Ignore Source Volume."
Thanks to [mention=138243]eddy.trochez[/mention] for the help on this one!
-Ty
Didn't I tell you there was a source volume setting?

Indeed you did, however ShairBridge wasn't installed at the time though.  The volume option is for ShairBridge driver, not the iTunes/AirPlay driver per@cyknight's comment above.

The iTunes driver is not an airplay driver.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pinkoos said:

In terms of the Shairbridge driver, I'm confused.  Did you turn "ignore source volume" on or off?

I'd like the source (ie, my iPhone or iPad) volume slider to control the volume, but of course don't want to blow anything.

That would be ignore source volume off.

I think it’s the opposite. The documentation says something to the effect that with it on, the source (ie, iPhone) doesn’t control volume level other than the volume being on or being off. 

That’s how mine is set right now and the slider doesn’t do anything other than:

all the way to the right - audio/volume is on

all the way to the left - audio/volume is completely off

There’s no granular control in between. 

I’d like to test with the setting off, but I want to first make sure that I won’t blow a speaker or something like that. 

I think it’s the opposite. The documentation says something to the effect that with it on, the source (ie, iPhone) doesn’t control volume level other than the volume being on or being off. 
That’s how mine is set right now and the slider doesn’t do anything other than:
all the way to the right - audio/volume is on
all the way to the left - audio/volume is completely off
There’s no granular control in between. 
I’d like to test with the setting off, but I want to first make sure that I won’t blow a speaker or something like that. 

If you want your iPhone to control volume the setting is off. That's what I wrote.

• 8 months later...
On 1/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, THE L1ZARD KING said:

Hello All,

Thanks!

-Ty

I am also getting this same problem but i am not using shairbridge just the Itunes driver using sonos as the audio end point. the volume gets set to max as soon as i hit the volume + or -. I cant find for the life of me any settings i can change to stop this from happening. Any help would be appreciated.

Archived