C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power (JAP) vs Video Storm (VS)

Thanks. I think what tripping me up is how some licensing is per TV and some is per Source. I must not have ordered that triple shot coffee that I needed. What is a licensed source to VS in the context above?

If I have a Hikvision camera. Is that a source? If I have 30 cameras do I need an unlimited mobile license? 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, videostorm said:

On the other hand, you can run NetPlayTV on Android tablets.  That sounds more like what you have in mind.  NetPlay TV has both centralized control and local gui control.  If you want to go that way give us a heads up first so we can test that.

Knowing now the limitations/feature set of the mobile product you are probably right. Run Netplay TV on tablets to get tiling. Sounds like people don't do that. Curious how it would run a Samsung tablet or what specific hardware to look for to enable some of the hardware acceleration you might be using.

My two cents in this fight from what we have done.
Jap 
    Reliability is next to none. only system we haven't had to power cycle tvs avrs or other devices to get them to display video. with the guys  @blackwiredesigns they program and setup the whole system for you so install could not go any smoother. 4k native support is nice. Jap just works
Video Storm
           Versatility. with the ability to bring just about any video stream in from cameras web urls text and just about anything else allows you to have a complex video wall, stream, or information on the screen at any time. My favorite by far is anytime any of my doors open I get a small pop up of the camera near that entrance on the tv in the corner. If it is something i need to investigate i pull up a full screen with one more button press. 

cant go wrong with either just have to decide whats more important.

That was awesome.

Thanks for that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NetPlay mobile fullscreen playback is licensed per source.  Most people do not purchase full screen playback licenses.  NetPlay mobile has no limits on number of devices.

NetPlay TV is licensed per TV.  No limits on sources.

Samsung tablets would be the way to go for running NetPlay TV on tablets.  You have asked about doing a lot of things most people never think of.  This is another case of that ;)   I think it is a great idea though.  Wall mounted tablets running NetPlay TV would be really cool.  They should have a power supply connection because they never fully power down when running NetPlay TV (need to keep wifi alive for central control).

That's the great thing about a forum! Thanks for your time. I think I am getting a better understanding.

How does one license a source? What is a "source" in VS terms? Would my 30 security cameras be 30 sources?

42 minutes ago, Pounce said:

That's the great thing about a forum! Thanks for your time. I think I am getting a better understanding.

How does one license a source? What is a "source" in VS terms? Would my 30 security cameras be 30 sources?

All of our licenses are tied to the NetPlay manager controller.  If you have a 4 source Netplay mobile full screen playback license, you can select 4 of the sources defined in your virtual matrix for full screen mobile playback.  In your example, each of your cameras would be a source.  You would need the unlimited source license.

NetPlay TV licenses are also tied to the NetPlay manager controller.   If you have 5 NetPlay TV licenses, you can have up to 5 NetPlay TV decoder devices in your system.

5 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Yes, camera urls are considered a source,but don't require any licenses or anything.  Just the hires url gets typed in with a couple other settings and that's it. 

The only case where you ever need licenses for sources is for using NetPlay Mobile full screen playback (full screen video playback on mobile devices).  For video to your TVs, you never need source licenses.

2 minutes ago, videostorm said:

All of our licenses are tied to the NetPlay manager controller.  If you have a 4 source Netplay mobile full screen playback license, you can select 4 of the sources defined in your virtual matrix for full screen mobile playback.  In your example, each of your cameras would be a source.  You would need the unlimited source license.

NetPlay TV licenses are also tied to the NetPlay manager controller.   If you have 5 NetPlay TV licenses, you can have up to 5 NetPlay TV decoder devices in your system.

Ok. I think I have it. There is some way to configure "named" sources for the purpose of mobile licensing from 1-4. These aren't some form of concurrent licensing to limit live connections to only 4 concurrent streams. You really need to define them prior. If that's the case it's not so nice. Unlimited seems like the only way to do it if the objective would be to be able to watch every possible source you have access to on a TV on a mobile device.

Net Play TV on mobile seems like the way to go. No source limitation, but I'm guessing you are now locked to a device somehow.

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Ok. I think I have it. There is some way to configure "named" sources for the purpose of mobile licensing from 1-4. These aren't some form of concurrent licensing to limit live connections to only 4 concurrent streams. You really need to define them prior. If that's the case it's not so nice. Unlimited seems like the only way to do it if the objective would be to be able to watch every possible source you have access to on a TV on a mobile device.

Net Play TV on mobile seems like the way to go. No source limitation, but I'm guessing you are now locked to a device somehow.

On the mobile license, there is a virtual matrix screen to select which sources you make available to mobile devices.  I agree the 1-4 source licenses aren't super useful (they exist for legacy reasons).  I expect the mobile licenses to change in the near future to just be a full screen viewing license with no source restrictions (like todays unlimited license).  Probably will be less expensive also, at least for residential applications.

NetPlay TV licenses aren't locked to specific devices (other than the NetPlay Manager).  You just need as many as you have TVs.  You can swap the actual decoder hardware as you see fit.  It is not a "concurrent use" license though, you need enough for the full system.

Can you blend two video sources in a tiled configuration with control over z and transparency? I just want to be sure I am understanding you. The way I read the above is that you can blend a video source and HTML5 but not two standard video.

JAP called their feature Image Pull to show stills of the content showing on a rx. I like this for checking what the kids are watching. Does VS have anything similar?

I have JAP and would love to learn more about this.

Ultimately this is why I ended up buying JAP (as well as I knew it was super robust). I was never able to really figure out what I actually needed for VS, and I travel a lot so I wanted something that “just worked”.

VS is still intriguing, I just wasn’t ever able to fully get my head around it.

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

Ultimately this is why I ended up buying JAP (as well as I knew it was super robust). I was never able to really figure out what I actually needed for VS, and I travel a lot so I wanted something that “just worked”.

VS is still intriguing, I just wasn’t ever able to fully get my head around it.

As a user I agree.  I got in before netplay home.  So I have vtx and vrx encoders and decoders and it’s simple.  When I add more sources I’ll likely get more VS hardware.  May be more expensive (price similar to JAP and even slightly cheaper) and I can wrap my head around it

I love VS.  but I’ve told them before they need better marketing to explain their products. Once they added netplay home it got confusing.  Cheaper and way more flexible but muddy.  

On 3/30/2018 at 6:57 PM, videostorm said:

On the mobile license, there is a virtual matrix screen to select which sources you make available to mobile devices.  I agree the 1-4 source licenses aren't super useful (they exist for legacy reasons).  I expect the mobile licenses to change in the near future to just be a full screen viewing license with no source restrictions (like todays unlimited license).  Probably will be less expensive also, at least for residential applications.

NetPlay TV licenses aren't locked to specific devices (other than the NetPlay Manager).  You just need as many as you have TVs.  You can swap the actual decoder hardware as you see fit.  It is not a "concurrent use" license though, you need enough for the full system.

As of today, we have simplified the NetPlay Mobile licenses.  There are now only two options:

1. (default)  NetPlay mobile base license, includes full system control and video preview (small window) of all your sources.  No limit on number of mobile devices.  This license is included with your NetPlay Manager purchase (no extra cost)
  2. Full screen mobile playback option:  This license option ($499) also gives you full screen playback of all your sources on all your mobile devices.

Anyone who already had a premium license option for NetPlay Mobile is automatically upgraded to the new "Full screen mobile playback" option.   Note the new license option is equivalent to the "unlimited sources" prior option.

Hopefully this helps simplify things and provide the right options and the right price.

We also would like to thank all of you for your suggestions on improving our product marketing / order process. 

Please check out our new Residential system estimator and quotation tool:

http://www.video-storm.com/residential.asp

After answering a few simple questions, the tool will provide you with a complete BOM for your NetPlay Home system.  Video Storm products will automatically be added to your shopping cart.  It will also provide the current NetPlay Certified encoders (coming end of April) and decoders (available now) to use in your system, complete with order links for everything you need.

Please let us know if this helps meet our goal of making the order process clear and painless.

That's great. Good to see VS adapting so quickly. 

I used the new estimator.  When do you think you will have a list of encoders? The table does't include any other than the VTX100. Also the VRX40 link on the rx page is broken.

14 minutes ago, Pounce said:

That's great. Good to see VS adapting so quickly. 

I used the new estimator.  When do you think you will have a list of encoders? The table does't include any other than the VTX100. Also the VRX40 link on the rx page is broken.

The first NetPlay Ready certified encoder just arrived today for final testing.  Once it passes we will add it to the page.  I expect the rest of them over the next 1 - 2 months.

VRX040 will release this month (and have a working link).

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, neldua said:

Will we be able to replace VRX040 in a system with vrx020

eg. replace VRX020 Netplay manager with a  VRX040  and still be able to use the remaining VRX020 as decoders

You can definitely interchange any of our decoders in your system (VRX010, VRX020, VRX040, NetPlayTV).

NetPlay manager always uses the same base hardware.  This will not change in the future (VRX040 or NetPlayTV cannot be used as a manager).  The newer NetPlay Managers are a simplified version of the VRX020 (you can use either VRX020 or the newer NetPlay Manager as your controller).

There was an announcement today that Best Buy is changing from Roku to FireTV as the built-in SmartTV functionality for its house brand TVs.  Would these work as VS receivers?  These TVs will also have Alexa built in although it seems like it would be through the remote control which sucks for folks with HA systems or unified remotes.

31 minutes ago, zaphod said:

There was an announcement today that Best Buy is changing from Roku to FireTV as the built-in SmartTV functionality for its house brand TVs.  Would these work as VS receivers?  These TVs will also have Alexa built in although it seems like it would be through the remote control which sucks for folks with HA systems or unified remotes.

Yes, they should work as NetPlayTV decoders.  Will have to test it of course.

Great to hear they are using a better OS now :)

Archived