C4 Forums | Control4

Automation is killing your home automation model

As yet another hi margin product bites the dust (Oppo Blu-ray) this is unfortunately yet another nail in the coffin of your dealer only model.

Next it will be high end matrix products

The HTPC and “in home” media NAS concept having died years ago

Consumers can now roll out pretty good all home Security CTV for under 1k and set it up themselves heck pretty much *any* HA product for 99.95 and change...

The robots are coming - wait they are knocking loud and clear on your dealer shops already yet most of you are in denial.

The irony is its “Automation” itself that is killing Home Automation.

Its sad. Because I really like you guys and I genuinely feel for you as I like hi end products, good niche bricks and mortar retail in high streets, and the old way of doing things.

I actually like paying for quality and good old fashioned service. Oh *and* content! Silly me. What a dick I really am!!!

But when you pay for something hi end it’s got to continue to be better and perform and be maintained and upgraded easier than the cheap “no cost” alternative and that my friends in a nutshell is the problem with Control4 and the current way it handles its “model”...

Robots are coming on my job too. It’s just I know this and am making plans already to get out...

Hopefully I’m retired before it actually happens.

But go on.....

Ban me again, heap scorn on me , call me drunk and say I have a “mental” condition. And that’ it’s really *me* (not you) living in alternative reality.

I don’t care what you think about me anymore.

I just wish you’d all wake up and realize it because I genuinely want you all to stay in business. I like you all and I feel for your futures on as much a humanitarian level as anything else....

Because as humans we need to fight this. A head in the sand approach and sticking to protocols won’t cut it anymore.

They started ripping off all our IP years ago and continue to do so with gusto....

Trump tariffs won’t save you either.

Nothing will if you think you can keep things with Control4 as they are-

Good day to you all. Happy 2018. I wish you all well in the future and good luck....

This is no April fools joke anymore.

This is real.

Rock on C4

W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait wasn’t Oppo direct to consumer sales?

where is the analogy?  What does this have to do with the CI channel?  I have Control4 and I don’t have Oppo.  

Underlying technology changes.  Always room for a CI. There is a market out there that does not want to do this work themselves.  They hire someone to design, install and support.  I keep using the car analogy.  I could change my oil in my car.  I could change the tires.  But I pay someone to do it.  Did advance auto parts and pep boys kill all mechanics?  Maybe the bad ones but good ones still have clients.  It’s called service.   People pay for service

get a grip and a shrink  

26 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Wait wasn’t Oppo direct to consumer sales?

where is the analogy?  What does this have to do with the CI channel?  I have Control4 and I don’t have Oppo.  

Here Oppo is pretty much a product that is sold where Control4 is as well... in the hi end AV bricks and mortar shops....

The customer comes in looking to put in a hi end Home Theatre room. They get sold an Oppo along with the hi end audio visual then it's "would you like a Control4 universal remote set up for that room as well"... "with that"... That's the first foot in the door initial sale for the entire Control4 product line up. Oppo and Control4 have gone "hand in hand" for years...

You guys just don't get it do you...

Control4's first initial sales.. the "foot in the door" is for customers first looking for hi end audio visual...

Usually for one initial hi end Home Theatre room... which can only be set up by an "installer..."

If that concept dies ...if that can all become purchased DIY...or put in by someone unskilled (say a removalist, delivery man or manual labourer)....and the end user switches choice to a DIY HA product for that home theatre that is cheaper to install and maintain and upgrade, the entire C4 platform (the way it is currently managed and upgraded) is toast....

10 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Here Oppo is pretty much a product that is sold where Control4 is as well... in the hi end AV bricks and mortar shops....

The customer comes in looking to put in a hi end Home Theatre room. They get sold an Oppo along with the hi end audio visual then it's "would you like a Control4 universal remote set up for that room as well"... "with that"... That's the first foot in the door initial sale for the entire Control4 product line up. Oppo and Control4 have gone "hand in hand" for years...

Well that is not how c4 got me.  And based on the amount of people in Oppo threads I assume far less than a majority of people have an Oppo player in their c4 system.  You can buy Oppo online

most people get into c4 likely from a contractor doing a new build or renovation and it’s on the list of things.  Not someone buying an Oppo in Magnolia and walking out C4

18 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

most people get into c4 likely from a contractor doing a new build or renovation and it’s on the list of things.  Not someone buying an Oppo in Magnolia and walking out C4

Well sure... here it's all centred around putting in a home theatre (or one good AV room set up)  into that Reno...

I would take a guess Very very few people would put in Control4 into a whole house "just for" the HA....

Its the HT control that gets them thinking "Control4" in the first place... :)

4 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Well sure... here it's all centred around putting in a home theatre (or one good AV room set up)  into that Reno...

I would take a guess Very very few people would put in Control4 into a whole house "just for" the HA....

Its the HT control that gets them thinking "Control4" in the first place... :)

Well that is purely conjecture.   You are pulling theories out of thin air and calling them facts.  Dealers can’t make a living selling only EA1.  I live in an area with multi million dollar houses.  I know of no one with a dedicated “home theater”.  Living room with TV yes.  But a “home theater” nope.  But my neighbors all have some form of automation.  In fact I know ONE person who has a theater.  One.  And he is a former athlete.  That’s it.  

22 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Well that is purely conjecture.   You are pulling theories out of thin air and calling them facts.  Dealers can’t make a living selling only EA1.  I live in an area with multi million dollar houses.  I know of no one with a dedicated “home theater”.  Living room with TV yes.  But a “home theater” nope.  But my neighbors all have some form of automation.  In fact I know ONE person who has a theater.  One.  And he is a former athlete.  That’s it.  

Sure... every society is different.. still doesn't mean if folks entire HA setup is more difficult to maintain and upgrade by the current model, that they won't just switch to a DIY product next time that is fully automated and upradeable without a said "dealer" next time...

(Actually way it;'s all heading, with all the wiring in already, pretty soon they will be able to slowly switch away from Control4 to things like Amazon Echo and all the other DIY HA alternatives etc and not have to move house anyway)

2 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

But when you pay for something hi end it’s got to continue to be better and perform and be maintained and upgraded easier than the cheap “no cost” alternative and that my friends in a nutshell is the problem with Control4 and the current way it handles its “model”...

Why? That's too general. 

Can you click on all the squares with a sign in them? :)

17 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Why? That's too general. 

Can you click on all the squares with a sign in them? :)

My beef with the product has never been the product per say, what it does or the fact that you need dealers to install it or help you out improve it or maintain it..

I have never once skimped on spending one dollar.. improving my Control4 experience... not once...

My beef is the company doesn't allow end users to easily learn and maintain it...(and better themselves and their understanding of HA) themselves in the process using their own product ....you know the one.. the one you spent all that money on...(once it is installed)  and that the platform doesn't easily upgrade itself. 

Once it is is our homes (all paid up for and all)... it's our product right?? (Or so I thought)

My beef is the continual lock down of learning and "knowledge"..

Good day to you all !!!

10 minutes ago, Pounce said:

It's a choice. It doesn't have to be a good one. You have other choices if you want more control.

How many fingers am I holding up?

Sure I get it.. 

It's called free speech but it needs to be said...

#fedupfeelingitsmewhoistreatedlikethecrazyonethatsall

The attitudes to the dealer only model (that it should be fixed in stone the way it is) feel like its a ChurchofScientology cult or something...

Maybe it is?

Who knows :) 

Sure I get it.. 
It's called free speech but it needs to be said...
#fedupfeelingitsmewhoistreatedlikethecrazyonethatsall
The attitudes to the dealer only model feel like its a ChurchofScientology cult or something...
Maybe it is?
Who knows  

No the problem is you think people here can do something.

If you are so passionate about killing the dealer model petition the board. Call Martin. But stop posting this troll ass crap here

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just now, msgreenf said:

No the problem is you think people here can do something.

If you are so passionate about killing the dealer model petition the board. Call Martin. But stop posting this troll ass crap here

I don't want to kill it..

I want it reformed...

So it can stay alive

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

If you believe that then why do you even bother posting?

That is the best thing you have said in years.. 

Good point..

In the vague hope someone.. anyone? is really listening..

But you are 100% correct MSG..

Its been a total waste of time 

Archived