C4 Forums | Control4

Network router recommendations - Pakedge or basic WiFi router?

I asked my dealer what the story was regarding using UBNT. He has over 200 installations with the equipment and no issues and continues to use it. Not a small dealer, with many large projects.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, maskas said:

@mujtaba.khokhar I use a very similar setup at my home currently, i.e. Mikrotik for routing and UBNT for APs. I'm very happy with the performance but there is no c4 at the moment. Planning on installing a decent sized c4 set up with panelized lighting and audio matrix. I would like to use similar networking gear to what I have currently but am confused with UBNT being on the Black List from c4. What's your take on that? Also have you ever used Mikrotik switches? Have never used the switches myself but I am extremely happy with the router. 

I’ve never ran into problems, Control4 have also banned the crimping tool I use to make my cat6 but I still use it. I have a networking and infrastructure background and for the price unifi equipment is very good. I use a MikroTik switch and unifi switch in my personal setup at home and I’ve had no problems with it. 

On 7/2/2018 at 3:35 AM, mujtaba.khokhar said:

I’ve never ran into problems, Control4 have also banned the crimping tool I use to make my cat6 but I still use it. I have a networking and infrastructure background and for the price unifi equipment is very good. I use a MikroTik switch and unifi switch in my personal setup at home and I’ve had no problems with it. 

I agree with you. I'm hoping by the time I'm ready to install it's off the Black List though.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, mujtaba.khokhar said:

I suspect you mean they tell you not to use EZ ends (crimper doesn't matter) - as do almost all video switch manufacturers.

And a pro installer really shouldn't need to do EZ ends.

But regardless, just keep in mind that you can void warranty/lose support if you do use any item 'blacklisted'. Beyond that, it's your call to make (both on the ends, and Ubiquity) 😄

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I suspect you mean they tell you not to use EZ ends (crimper doesn't matter) - as do almost all video switch manufacturers.

And a pro installer really shouldn't need to do EZ ends.

But regardless, just keep in mind that you can void warranty/lose support if you do use any item 'blacklisted'. Beyond that, it's your call to make (both on the ends, and Ubiquity) 😄

Yes the EZ ends, I know I don’t need to use them it just makes it easier when you’ve got 80+ to do in a single run, and a patch panel to do at the same time. (And the customer wants everything to work today, eventho you just got to the job an hour or so ago lol) 

I know about the warrenty issue, which is probably what platinum told bought out a new EZ plug that covers the coppers it’s cut. Till this date (Touch wood) I’ve never had ubiquiti Hardware die on me.

:) 

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I meant that it shouldn't be any quicker for a pro.😉

I hate EZ ends, if I ever have to use them because used to do sub work for some companies from time to time, I snip them with flush cuts and pull the wire back into the connector just a little before crimping. But otherwise they are for hacks and dont save any real amount of time if you are good and prep work. Especially bad for hdbaset and PoE as well

23 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

I hate EZ ends, if I ever have to use them because used to do sub work for some companies from time to time, I snip them with flush cuts and pull the wire back into the connector just a little before crimping. But otherwise they are for hacks and dont save any real amount of time if you are good and prep work. Especially bad for hdbaset and PoE as well

Even the new ones where there’s a plastic bit that comes over the cut copper at the end? 

Have you ever had any problems with the copper ends shortinng a socket on a switch or hdbaset matrix? Just curious 🙂

Archived