C4 Forums | Control4

HC-200 Standalone?

paulmon

Can the HC-200 be used as a controller without the HC-300/500/1000? All I'm looking for is home theater control with some lighting control. From what I've read the 200 is a full standalone controller but one of the local installers are telling me it isn't, everything I've read says otherwise.

Paul

Can the HC-200 be used as a controller without the HC-300/500/1000? All I'm looking for is home theater control with some lighting control. From what I've read the 200 is a full standalone controller but one of the local installers are telling me it isn't, everything I've read says otherwise.

Paul

Absolutely..

I actually have 3 of them operating in a home strictly for remote controls only..

Good Luck..

The 300 will have more I/O. Contacts, relays, and more IR/Serial. I'm not sure if the 200 has a usb port. But they have the same processor power and for the "controller per display" rule, you can't go wrong. They are a really niche unit and solve alot of issues both big and small. Does this answer your question? Let me know if you need any more specs.

The 200 does have a single USB port.

The HC200 can only supply one audio zone of digital audio, the HC300 can supply two.

The biggest difference is the HC300 has 2 serial ports, and 6 independent IR ports (and a blaster).

The HC200 has 4 ports, two of which can be configured as serial ports, but then aren't used as IR ports, so you'd only have 2.

RyanE

Edited to Add: Had to fix the incomplete sentence... Must be the cold meds... :)

Edited by RyanE

The HC200 can only supply one audio zone of digital audio, the HC300 can supply two.

The biggest difference is the HC300 has 2 serial ports, and 6 independent IR ports (and a blaster).

The HC200 has 4 ports, two of which can be configured as serial ports, but then aren't used as IR ports, so you'd only have 2.

RyanE

Edited to Add: Had to fix the incomplete sentence... Must be the cold meds... :)

But no reason I can't use a distribution block to increase the IR outputs, correct?

As long as you use devices with distinct IR (i.e. not two devices that use RC5/RC6, or two of the same model of devices), you can split the IR outputs as many ways as you wish (with amplification).

Keep in mind that if you do so, you are increasing the amount of time it takes for room on / room off, and anything else that requires sending IR to multiple devices. The controller obviously can't be sending IR to both your TV and DVD player if they're both on the same IR output, where it could if they were on different IR outputs on a controller.

You're also increasing the chances of having one IR devices' output confusing the state of another device, although in most cases that's not an issue, because IR codes typically have a 'capture' period before they send their code to sync up the IR receiver, and most devices will start listening each time they see a 'capture' sequence.

Best practices is definitely to give each dedicated device it's own output, it's faster, and easier to debug if something goes wrong, but yes, piling them on should work.

RyanE

• 3 weeks later...

:)

Ryan. 1/ What is the role of the usb port?

2/ Aren't the audio outs of these controllers RCA analogue? ie I thought the HC200 has a DAC within, so you can connect it up to an amp and play music from say the C4 ipod doc, or another audio source like a cable TV box as long as it is connected into one of the C4 controllers on the network? Is this correct. (P.S) I understand they don't do the same video steaming....

1) USB port is to attach usb drives for storing digital media (MP3 files, photos) for playback. It's also used in extreme instances to restore the controller by your dealer.

2) Yes, they are analog. You are right in your thinking that it is an audio endpoint for digital audio.

Sorry if that was confusing, but yes, it's RCA analog output, although it's a mini-1/8" jack on the HC-200. It can play one digital audio stream, but not output it as a digital output.

RyanE

Edited by RyanE

How many HC-200's can I master/slave together? I need 11 fully routed IR outputs for this behemoth system I'm designing. Eight of the devices controlled are identical cable boxes.

Also, is there a limit to how many HC's you can have on a system? Conceivably, if I have four HC-200's in the rack, and then eight more out at the TV locations.... well, that's Twelve by my math.

Problem?

C

EDIT: Make that 13. Forgot the one up in the surround system on the 8th Floor... but then that room might be a discrete system..

Edited by Chris_J

How many HC-200's can I master/slave together? I need 11 fully routed IR outputs for this behemoth system I'm designing. Eight of the devices controlled are identical cable boxes.

Also, is there a limit to how many HC's you can have on a system? Conceivably, if I have four HC-200's in the rack, and then eight more out at the TV locations.... well, that's Twelve by my math.

Problem?

C

EDIT: Make that 13. Forgot the one up in the surround system on the 8th Floor... but then that room might be a discrete system..

Put a 300 to be the Master Controller and you'll be ok.

A 200 is for Standalone Only! Exception: If all 13 of your 200's are running their own system and you are not trying to link them together..

• 10 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.