C4 Forums | Control4

IP Scan

Get a fingbox - with it you can set notifications (via email or phone notifications) for when new devices join your LAN or when devices drop off of your LAN.  And you can log in remotely to see what is on your LAN at any time - either with a web client or iOS (and presumable Android) app.

14 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Get a fingbox - with it you can set notifications (via email or phone notifications) for when new devices join your LAN or when devices drop off of your LAN.  And you can log in remotely to see what is on your LAN at any time - either with a web client or iOS (and presumable Android) app.

This!

fingbox is great.

18 minutes ago, Pounce said:

What are you trying to find or not find with the scan?

Scan the network just like would do with a scan tool but remotley

say an IP of a device changed and I needed to find the new IP.

58 minutes ago, jamesc4 said:

fingbox

https://www.fing.io/fingbox-network-security-appliance/

no need for a driver within C4.  you'll see your entire house, even when remote.  you can set up different alerts and notifications, etc

1 hour ago, jamesc4 said:

You would do that with your router. You always have a list of clients and their IP's. No need to scan.

9 hours ago, Pounce said:

You would do that with your router. You always have a list of clients and their IP's. No need to scan.

That can depend on your router and the functionality in its firmware.  I find the the fingbox is much better at keeping an eye on the network than my Unifi USG router.  Theoretically your router should be able to do everything that a fingbox can, but I have yet to see that.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

I find the the fingbox is much better at keeping an eye on the network than my Unifi USG router. 

Really? How so? I'm not challenging you. I'm honestly curious.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

That can depend on your router and the functionality in its firmware.

Even a cheap consumer router will give you a client list. I'm actually not sure I can name one that doesn't. Certainly not one that you would have on a network with C4.

6 hours ago, lippavisual said:

All routers should provide both a DHCP list with MAC addresses attached to the IP and also an ARP table for devices that are statically addressed and accessing internet. 

@Pounce - I believe this is one of the differences.  If you have devices with static IPs that don't hit the internet very often, or ever, then they may not show up on your router's list of clients.  I have IP cameras that don't hit the internet - unless they use NTP.  Therefore they may not show up.  Same with other devices like AVRs, LED light controllers, etc.

The other thing that fingbox gives you is notifications.  You can have it notify you (via email or iOS/Android notifications)  if devices leave your network.  And it logs when devices join and leave your network.  This can act as geofencing - you can tell when your kids came and went from when their phones joined and left the LAN.  Or you can tell when the AVR drops off the network - which means that C4 won't be able to control it if you are using an IP driver.  You can also use fing to block devices from the network, but I have never used it to do that.

It would be nice if there was a C4 driver for the fingbox so that you could tie these events into C4 - geofencing being the most obvious example.  There does appear to be a fing API.

@zaphod

My Ubiquiti USG lists all clients and logs entering and exiting regardless of internet access. Lots and lots of notification options that most people never enable or know exist. My USG emails me with client activity like your fingbox does. What does it do that USG doesn't?

19 hours ago, Pounce said:

@zaphod

My Ubiquiti USG lists all clients and logs entering and exiting regardless of internet access. Lots and lots of notification options that most people never enable or know exist. My USG emails me with client activity like your fingbox does. What does it do that USG doesn't?

I have a Unifi USG router and Unifi APs but I don't have any Unifi switches.  For Wifi clients I do get the full list of everything on the LAN.  But for wired clients there seems to be much less info and I swear that devices that don't hit the internet may not show up, or at least not show up for a few hours or so.

I agree that the USG should be able to do everything that a fingbox does but it doesn't offer all of the functionality, at least not yet.  Just like the USG should be able to run OpenVPN server but to do that currently it is a PITA as this isn't available in the Controller software so you have to enter commands in the CLI.

Interesting. I don't see any issues with the USG showing client or alerting on client activity. Maybe its a firmware version thing?

Is there a thing that fingbox does that is unique to it that is not present or cannot be done with the USG? Does fingbox run openvpn?

The fingbox isn't a router, it is a network device for monitoring your network.  The OpenVPN server is just an example of functionality that the USG should have, but doesn't - at least not yet.  Same thing with some of the other monitoring functions that the fing has - the USG could have these but doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, Pounce said:

@zaphod

I just noticed that my Unifi controller software lists some of my C4 equipment, like a matrix amp and matrix switch, but it doesn't show an IP address for them.  Perhaps this is because they don't access the internet.  My fing does show the IP address for these devices.  Strange.  I will likely use DHCP res for these so hopefully Unifi will know this since it is forcing them to have a specific address.

Archived