C4 Forums | Control4

For those who mock the WRT54g

I've seen alot of posts with people "doubting" the superior ownage which is the WRT54g. I posted this on the dealer forums in response to Kevin's attempted slander of divinely inspired awesomeness which mere mortals alone can barely comprehend. For your enjoyment, I give you the "FACTS" about the Linksys WRT54g.

1.) Was created by Chuck Norris, and only has one serial number.

2.) The manual is made from intercepted letters to santa claus, and it's box has a crush weight of over 7 tons due to the fact that it's pressure treated with children's tears.

3.) We've received complaints from several customers that upon attempting a reboot of the 54g, that their family members spontaneously combusted from even attempting such a thing.

4.) there is no "reset" button on a 54g, it's perfect...there is only "on" and "owned"...

5.) never make direct eye contact with the 54g, a situation similar to the raiders of the lost ark will occur.

6.) the ark of the covenant IS a wrt54g.

7.) In the X-men, Professor X's cerebro machine is based loosely on a wrt54g's source code, I say loosely because no one has ever seen the source code....and lived.

8.) The hubble telescope communicates with nasa via a 54g...set to wireless b-mode...without firmware!!... holy &^*&$$!!!

9.) The wrt54g is capable of growing massive amounts on chest hair on itself due to it's sheer masculinity. It must be groomed with a diamond tipped comb.

10.) The 4 lan ports on the 54g are powered by a 5.9 liter cummins turbo diesel engine, while the router itself can easily make a quarter mile in under 10 seconds.

Consumer router my &$#. The linksys logo should be a required tattoo by the age of 5.

I was using one and thought I would upgrade to a gigbit switch. I bought the 4400n and took it back, bought a 16 port gigabit switch and went back to the 54g for serving up the wireless internet.

I actually really like it. It is simple and it works.

Nobody goes down and worships this thing, but I do find it comical that people buy $300 routers when a $39 router will do.

I think a lot of times people go overboard on this stuff thinking the more expensive MUST work better when they aren't even taxing the capabilities of the most basic routers.

I find it funny when someone purchases a $39 *consumer-grade* router and then complains to their dealer or on forums when they have Control4 issues that turn out to be network-related.

There *are* reasons to use *commercial-grade* equipment when setting up a high-reliability network. Control4 and Control4 dealers are going to recommend a high-reliability network, as *everything* the system does, it does over that network.

If you choose to live with 99% reliability vs. 99.99% reliability, that's your choice. If you have a small network, you may be able to get by on a $39 router.

If it works for you, good for you. I've had cheap routers and switches die (usually poor power supply build issues -- bad caps and the like) on me, even in the best of circumstances (installed in the cool, dry basement), and when they go out, you're out.

I wouldn't recommend that dealers do it, though. They have to live and die by the reliability of their customer's network. Even 99.9% reliability means 1+ likely days' downtime over 3 years, and it's the last couple of nines that are expensive...

RyanE

I agree RyanE, totally. I use a commerical grade gigabit network switch, but for simply serving up wireless internet the WRT54g does a fabulous job, as long as you don't need wireless N obviously.

My internet connection doesn't exceed the speeds transferred at the 10/100 level so the WRT54g works great as the device inbetween my modem and my network switch. It serves up with wireless and passes along all my available bandwidth to the gigabit switch, which is where all my devices are connected and benefit from the 10/100/1000 connection (obviously).

Seriously, I hope everyone knows that this is for fun. I always install business class networking gear. I do use the 54g in my "lab" for testing and whatnot, but I would never rely on a $40 dollar router to be the backbone of thousands of dollars of automation. Peace.

Nobody goes down and worships this thing, but I do find it comical that people buy $300 routers when a $39 router will do.

I think a lot of times people go overboard on this stuff thinking the more expensive MUST work better when they aren't even taxing the capabilities of the most basic routers.

uhhhhh

have you actually ran a program like wireshark on the WRT54G.. its a worthless piece of plastic

i dont care if you can use either and go to google.com cause it works fine. The WRT54G can NOT handle the demands of any real network with an automation system attached to it. I dont care what firmware you have the HARDWARE is the problem..

a good router starts at 149 and goes up from there. in reality a good router for any control4 or residential application caps out at 179 in price... no where near the 300 dollar mark you are discussing.

I agree RyanE, totally. I use a commerical grade gigabit network switch, but for simply serving up wireless internet the WRT54g does a fabulous job, as long as you don't need wireless N obviously.

My internet connection doesn't exceed the speeds transferred at the 10/100 level so the WRT54g works great as the device inbetween my modem and my network switch. It serves up with wireless and passes along all my available bandwidth to the gigabit switch, which is where all my devices are connected and benefit from the 10/100/1000 connection (obviously).

if you are using the WRT54G as a router then i disagree... if its an access point only then thats fine.

Neil:

My 13 year old is a techie and enjoys Chuck Norris jokes - so we had a great time reading your awesome list. Thanks for the comedy. I'll leave the commercial vs. box of plastic argument to others more knowledgeable than I.

Jim

They have their place, for sure. Would I use it at a client's install? Probably not. Though Linksys is owned by Cisco now and I must say they were good before but even better now.

I somewhat disagree as the WRT54G used to have upgradable firmware and more LEDs - 3/port. Since Linksys was acquired by Cisco the firmware is no longer upgradable as easily (which is why they came out with the WRT54GL - the L being for Linux) and they have skimped on LEDs - in my opinion they have gone downhill somewhat since being integrated into Cisco.

I also think that these are fine. I have 3 of them in my house - two of them acting as WAPs with DHCP disabled and my C4 system does not have any networking issues. I also have an 8 port gigabit switch that most of my components are plugged into, also consumer grade.

While you may certainly have "no problems" with your setup using them as a router, Control4 Tech Support *has* seen problems that have been resolved completely by upgrading from *consumer-grade* gear to *commercial-grade* gear.

RyanE

Correct, with the updated firmware.

Or a smart solution is to go with a router and a separate access point.

RV042 + Pakedge WAP-30

If you want excellent wifi then add a Luxul antenna on your ap. :) Leads to good times.

Archived