C4 Forums | Control4

Insurance coverage

ecschnei

So state farm sent a letter saying portable electronic media storage was no longer covered. I need to call my agent but I was curious what everyone was using to keep adequate insurance coverage on home automation, media rooms, and networking infrastructure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

it's just included in contents.  I don't have a rider or anything but at the same time electronics depreciate so fast, don't expect much

i have on option on top of my policy for replacement cost of new comparable (can't remember the exact terminology used in policy), for example if my hc800 is stolen and that model is no longer sold it is replaced with a current comparable model like an ea3 or ea5 (hopefully).

What do they mean by "portable electronic media storage"?  To mean that implies something like an iPod or portable hard drive.  I guess you could have these connected to a C4 system but the actual drives themselves are pretty cheap.  

Most insurance companies don't cover 'portable' devices for theft etc.

Car stolen at lunch with your laptop inside, too bad.

Obviously each Insurer is different so have your agent earn their commissions by asking your questions.

And document, document, document.

I agree that the portable is not insurable but when it said "and media storage", I got concerned. I also agree with Mitch that tech depreciates quickly but a solid c4 system should run 5-10 years with regular maintenance, in my opinion, and should be replaced with something of comparable functionality.

Drop State Farm. Being a victim from a Tornado during Harvey I learned really quickly you pay for what you get.

My neighbors with farmers and state farm waited months... for an ajuster and their first check. I have Amica. The first check arrived FedEx on day 3 and the ajuster showed up the next week. We are over a year out from Havery and are still out of our house but Amica covered everything and has taken great of my family. 

This wouldn't logically cover your smart home equipment. Or media rooms. Or structured wiring. That's not portable.
Unless you're in a trailer?
Right...it was the precarious placement of "and" in their sentence that makes me question what they are going to skip out on covering....

I assume/believe my policy (USAA) also covers the HA stuff thru contents. Going thru it, I see no specific exclusions for electronic items in general.  They do, however, limit 'personal computer' losses, but that's as close as it gets. 

Also, consider what type of replacement coverage you're willing to pay for.  I have 'replacement cost' which covers up to the limit of my policy... they should replace the system without a deduction for depreciation.  That's obviously different than an 'actual cash value' replacement policy (which apparently is an option for these policies, and yeah, as msgreenf noted above, might not reimburse/replace much).

Archived