C4 Forums | Control4

List of Equipment

rf9000

Guys,

Hope you all are well. Building a new home and looking to do the following with Control4:

Lighting

Distributed Audio (24 zones)

Distributed Video (maybe)

Motorized blinds and drapes

Integrate security

HVAC

Integrate sprinklers

Cameras

Intergate Garage Doors

etc.

I have very basic knowledge of Control4 so I'm looking for some help if there are some of you out there that have the time. I posted on this form before and most have been very helpful. Below is a tentative list of equipment that I will need.I'm looking for suggestions on other equipment to add to my list with brand name and maybe even model number. Also, looking of some innovative things to do with programming and then the suggested equipment I would need to accomplish it. If you notice above for distributed video, I put "maybe". I juts trying to weight out the benefit of it. I have 14 TVs that I would like to distribute video to. Would I technically need 14 EA1s? What else would I need and will this get way too costly? Of these 14 TVs, four of them will have 5.1 systems. I'm able to have hidden localized component locations for the four main TVs where I will have the receiver/amps, blu ray player, cable box, etc. And if I did the localized component locations, then I would just run regular cable to each of the other 10 TVs. Is this a better solution rather than having all components located in the A/V room and do distributed video to each room? And how well does this work? Like for instance turning on a receiver that is two floors away when we want to watch Netflix? I know in the past that those 12v triggers, etc on my Denons always worked kinda crappy. I just want the system to run flawlessly. 

Sorry for the long post. So looking for help with the distributed video scenario and equipment that I should be adding to my list. The house will be three levels. For cost purposes, I want to use the old style switches on the upper level and basement level, then use the newer style switches on main floor. I have several of the old switches now and I also have two Dayton audio amps, so was a going to buy two more of those for my 24 zones. See below for the equipment that I'm tentatively looking to buy:

28 x old switches/dimmers

56 x new switches/dimmers

8 x keypads

4 x Dayton amps

1 x EA5

14 x EA1 (?)

6 x security camera

6 x ceiling mounted access points

1 x  24 port POE Switch

3 x 10" Touch Screens

6 x 7" Touch Screens

7 x motorized blinds

2 x motorized drapes

1 x sprinkler integration module (suggestions?)

3 x thermostats (3 furnaces)

1 x Audio matrix (looking for suggestions on the least expensive route here)

48 x speakers (in ceiling and landscape)

Security System (suggestions?)

That is all I have for now so I'm looking for suggestions. I don't know what unique things can all be done with Control4 now so open to suggestions)

One more thing, would one EA5 be able to handle this system?

Thanks and I appreciate it

I forgot to add to my list some Alexas for voice control. How well do these work and are Alexas the best option out there now? And on thermostats, do you guys recommend the Control4/Aprilaire ones, or do something like Echos work just as well?

well this is a lot to chew:

1) 14 EA1s are likely not needed.  The dealer is selling you that model so you can have a navigator on each TV.  After the first 2-3 weeks of the "cool" factor using it all the time we know rarely use it.  As I add new TV's to the house I do not add an E1 per TV.  Now if you need some IR ports or something here and there that is one thing.  If you want to go with Video Distribution any HDBaseT or Video over IP solution will give you IR/RS232 control on the balun, so not really sure this is needed.

2) PoE Switch - you mention 6 Access points, 6 cameras and 9 touch screens.  Doubt any PoE 24 port switch would be able to handle those requirements?  Plus you'll likely run out of 24 ports fairly quickly given 21 of the 24 ports are just for those devices.  Gives you growth of 3 ports.  You'll likely need 1 or 2 48 port switches and maybe get 1-2 midspan injectors to get power to those devices

3) this is likely a large house, I dont think 6 cameras will give sufficient coverage of the property but I could be wrong.  At a minimum I would do 1 in each corner of the exterior, 1 by the front door, 1-2 along the back of the house and 1 pointing directly at the driveway.

4) Seems like a lot of touch screens.  I think strategically placed touchscreens (by main entry ways or where you'll need intercom video access) and the rest can likely be serviced by more keypads.

5) Audio matrix - if you go video distribution you may need one with audio lip sync correction.  Plus you have 24 channels (48 speakers) so not sure you can find a really cheap model in that size (though cheap is relative).  

6) if possible get wires to the motorized blinds for a minimum of power if not control as well.

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

well this is a lot to chew:

1) 14 EA1s are likely not needed.  The dealer is selling you that model so you can have a navigator on each TV.  After the first 2-3 weeks of the "cool" factor using it all the time we know rarely use it.  As I add new TV's to the house I do not add an E1 per TV.  Now if you need some IR ports or something here and there that is one thing.  If you want to go with Video Distribution any HDBaseT or Video over IP solution will give you IR/RS232 control on the balun, so not really sure this is needed.

2) PoE Switch - you mention 6 Access points, 6 cameras and 9 touch screens.  Doubt any PoE 24 port switch would be able to handle those requirements?  Plus you'll likely run out of 24 ports fairly quickly given 21 of the 24 ports are just for those devices.  Gives you growth of 3 ports.  You'll likely need 1 or 2 48 port switches and maybe get 1-2 midspan injectors to get power to those devices

3) this is likely a large house, I dont think 6 cameras will give sufficient coverage of the property but I could be wrong.  At a minimum I would do 1 in each corner of the exterior, 1 by the front door, 1-2 along the back of the house and 1 pointing directly at the driveway.

4) Seems like a lot of touch screens.  I think strategically placed touchscreens (by main entry ways or where you'll need intercom video access) and the rest can likely be serviced by more keypads.

5) Audio matrix - if you go video distribution you may need one with audio lip sync correction.  Plus you have 24 channels (48 speakers) so not sure you can find a really cheap model in that size (though cheap is relative).  

6) if possible get wires to the motorized blinds for a minimum of power if not control as well.

This! And some extra comments:

1. Strongly agree with 14 EA1s being overkill unless you have 14 TVs and want OSD on each  (still overkill).

2. I have a biggish house (750 sqm - say 7,000 square feet) and a bigger beach house (950 sqm - say 9,000 square feet) and have 4 Touchscreens in the one and five in the other. Positioning is everything.

3. Irrigation. I have chosen to use an IO extender and the native C4 irrigation driver and find it is perfect for my needs.  I may change my mind when WeatherUnderground goes underground!

4. Security - DSC or Paradox.

5. I would stick to the native C4 thermostats. They just work.

6. Alexa integrates nicely with C4 these days and I can only see the integration getting better over time.

Thanks for the reply. Bear with me here as I'm trying to understand all of this. When you add new TVs to the house, are you not making them part of the Control4 system? Or do you just have the video distributed to them through Control4 with no interface. I'm not really sure how the video part works.

If going with video distribution, can you recommend a HDBaseT or Video over IP solution that will work? And agin, I'm not sure what IR/RS232 control on the blaun means. Will I need a blaun for each TV? Is this better than just running straight HDMI cables? 

I have a 48 port POE switch now, so yes I agree I will need a 48 port

I can add more cameras, thanks for the suggestion

As far as touch screens, I just think it looks cool in the kids' bedrooms and guest bedroom to have a touch screen.Iw as panning on using the previous generation 7" touch screens as they can be bought pretty cheap

What do you recommend for the audio matrix of this size? I know there is the Triad 24x24, but it is super expensive. Anything else you can recommend?

Is there anything else you would add to my list? To get garage doors working? Any outdoor temperature sensors? Any motion sensors to add automation, etc.?

21 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Thanks for the reply. Bear with me here as I'm trying to understand all of this. When you add new TVs to the house, are you not making them part of the Control4 system? Or do you just have the video distributed to them through Control4 with no interface. I'm not really sure how the video part works.

If going with video distribution, can you recommend a HDBaseT or Video over IP solution that will work? And agin, I'm not sure what IR/RS232 control on the blaun means. Will I need a blaun for each TV? Is this better than just running straight HDMI cables? 

I have a 48 port POE switch now, so yes I agree I will need a 48 port

I can add more cameras, thanks for the suggestion

As far as touch screens, I just think it looks cool in the kids' bedrooms and guest bedroom to have a touch screen.Iw as panning on using the previous generation 7" touch screens as they can be bought pretty cheap

What do you recommend for the audio matrix of this size? I know there is the Triad 24x24, but it is super expensive. Anything else you can recommend?

Is there anything else you would add to my list? To get garage doors working? Any outdoor temperature sensors? Any motion sensors to add automation, etc.?

I'd be careful investing in an old touch screen.  at some point they wont be upgradeable, then you are replacing it with another used old one or the newer ones.  It gets expensive very quickly.  There is a cool factor that disappears fairly quickly, that's all I can say.  if you put one in the guest room lock it down, you can use it as an intercom and see into other rooms.  you can block this stuff but make sure its all set up properly.

the EA1 DOES NOT transmit video sources.  If you want all of your cable boxes centralized in 1 area and those fed around the house, the EA1 behind each TV is NOT the solution.  The EA1 behind each tv will increase your zigbee signal (as will all of those light switches) and it will give you the on screen navigator/display (the c4 interface that says security, watch, listen, lighting, comfort ) on the TV.  If you want to centralize your TV sources you'll need HDBaseT or Video over IP as I suggested.  Most on here like Just Add Power, its Video over IP.  I went with Video Storm and their Netplay product which I love.  100% uptime in 4+ years.  IP cameras work in the system without additional hardware, kodi on every TV, local IR/RS232 control, PiP so when the doorbell rings I get a live feed on the tv, text over screen, splashtiles, etc.  They have a 38x38 audio matrix too plus their video distribution system.  Its fairly robust and you'll get everything you need.  A Balun is a little box that goes behind the TV.  the ethernet wire from the switch goes into the Balun and from the balun you can run an hdmi cable into the TV.  That is how the signal is transmitted. The balun usually has RS232 and/or IR controls too so you can control the TV and or receiver or other devices in that area.  C4 has to send a signal to your TV to turn it on/off, increase volume, etc.  That is done via IR, RS232 or IP (Ethernet).  First figure out if and how you are doing video, because that may lead to specific audio solutions as well.  sometimes they can go hand in hand.  if money is tight, ditch some of the touchscreens and get the proper audio set up.  most people will use whole home audio way more than the touchscreens.

I have an HC800 centrally located and I share that source in my matrix, so any TV can get the on screen display.  We are a house of 2 so its never an issue.  C4 doesnt recommend that in case multiple people want to access that menu.  Even with a family of 5, I highly doubt it will be accessed so often it will cause an issue.

Remember the 48 port PoE switch is not PoE on all 48 ports.  There is a cap to how much power it can provide X amount of devices.

5 hours ago, rf9000 said:

14 x EA1 (?)

Just for another data point - we NEVER use the on-screen navigator.

We have 4 TV's in a video matrix, and all of the TV's have navigator available to them via the single EA-5 that runs our system (we have no EA-1's).  I was worried before we got the system (2 years ago) that our TV's might "fight" for that single OSD feed, but I don't think we've called it up once since about the first week or two we had the system.

One use I could see would be if you're using navigator to view those cameras on the TV, but for source selection, etc. we use either the remotes or our phones.  Also (as eggzlot referred to), depending on your DVR/NVR and your video distribution setup, you may be able to put your camera feeds on the TV without relying on navigator (if you even care about that).

Thank you for that reply. That is very helpful and you take time to explain things so that is appreciated. 

You wouldn't use the 7" Infinity Edge touchscreen with camera just for the bedrooms? I plan on getting the newer 10" touch screen for main area.

I do want all cable boxes centralized in one area. I would also like to centralize my TV sources, which really would just be blu-ray player, I do have a Synology server that i could also centralize, but I think those things are sort of phasing out with Netflix, Kodi on Firestick, etc. Speaking of that, I would also like to centralize a FireCube, and audio receivers. If I were to do this, I know that I would need a cable box for each TV, but would I need a blu ray player for each TV? or could I get by with one Blu Ray player and one FireTV Cube to distribute to all TVs? I don't think that would be very feasible to only have one TV that could use these devices at one time. Plus, any time a blu-ray would need to be changed I would have to go to the AV room? Is that what everyone does? As far as cable boxes and receivers, do these work flawlessly or are there usually complications with getting them to turn on, etc.?

On video, I just don't see the benefit of it? Am I missing something? Majority of what we watch is Kodi on Firestick and Netflix. is the benefit that I get centrally located equipment and one remote to use for all? if those are the only real benefits, is it worth it for the cost? I suppose the other things you mentioned like PiP and text on screen would be nice too. Just trying to understand. And if so,

Is Just Add Power the way to go if I decide to do video? I assume the Video Storm system is more expensive?  I also have a new HC800 lying around and was wondering what I could use it for.

25 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Thank you for that reply. That is very helpful and you take time to explain things so that is appreciated. 

You wouldn't use the 7" Infinity Edge touchscreen with camera just for the bedrooms? I plan on getting the newer 10" touch screen for main area.

I do want all cable boxes centralized in one area. I would also like to centralize my TV sources, which really would just be blu-ray player, I do have a Synology server that i could also centralize, but I think those things are sort of phasing out with Netflix, Kodi on Firestick, etc. Speaking of that, I would also like to centralize a FireCube, and audio receivers. If I were to do this, I know that I would need a cable box for each TV, but would I need a blu ray player for each TV? or could I get by with one Blu Ray player and one FireTV Cube to distribute to all TVs? I don't think that would be very feasible to only have one TV that could use these devices at one time. Plus, any time a blu-ray would need to be changed I would have to go to the AV room? Is that what everyone does? As far as cable boxes and receivers, do these work flawlessly or are there usually complications with getting them to turn on, etc.?

On video, I just don't see the benefit of it? Am I missing something? Majority of what we watch is Kodi on Firestick and Netflix. is the benefit that I get centrally located equipment and one remote to use for all? if those are the only real benefits, is it worth it for the cost? I suppose the other things you mentioned like PiP and text on screen would be nice too. Just trying to understand. And if so,

Is Just Add Power the way to go if I decide to do video? I assume the Video Storm system is more expensive?  I also have a new HC800 lying around and was wondering what I could use it for.

i believe Video Storm is cheaper.  Just Add Power has been around longer in the game, that's all. 

I wouldn't put touchscreens in the bedroom, but that is my personal decision.  I have one by each main door into the house for entry/leaving purposes, 1 in our master bedroom for easy control and one portable one in an upstairs office to answer the front door when we work from home.  Another thing, though "uglier", if you are doing a security system, keep a physical button keypad somewhere in your bedroom in a closet or something.  Though the touchscreen can control the keypad, when the alarm is going off at 2am those touchscreens and hitting the right button is not as easy as a normal alarm keypad.  Just my $.02.

14 tvs - how many actual family members live in the house?  That is how many cable boxes you should get in case everyone is watching something different at the same time unless you are just that heavy on streaming services.  As far as the streaming sources, you can put a Fire TV behind each of the 14 TVs.  Or if you dont want to maintain that much hardware get a few and centralize them.  Multiple ways to attack your set up.  You can centralized a Blu Ray player, just realize you'll have to get up and change the disc as you mention.  We havent used our blu ray player in 5 years, but yes, its centralized :-)  I've had both Optimum and Fios and zero issues controlling the boxes.  Its IR control and just flat out works.

If you want to centralize and audio receivers (aka AVRs) then 100% you need a good solid audio/video solution.  How many rooms require an AVR?  Just curious why you aren't just using TV speakers for probably 12-13 of the 14 TVs with maybe 1 nice "theater" set up requiring an AVR?  You can simply just get 14 fire sticks, dont distribute TV Audio and Video, and just do 1 nice theater set up room with an AVR?  

If you are watching XYZ in Room A, would you want to watch the same thing at the same time in Room B and/or C?  Would you want the audio of that TV stream in the kitchen at the same time but maybe not on a TV, just on one of those 24 pairs of overhead speakers?  I do not have a TV in the kitchen or dining room, but during our superbowl party I take the TV audio feed and broadcast it on the speakers in my kitchen and dining room.

Thanks for the advice on the touchscreens. Is the reason for that recommendation just the cost? As far as security, I would put an alarm keypad in the Master and also in the Mud Room. There will only be four family members. My wife and I with two kids that are only 4 and 6 years old. I just love TVs. of those 14 TVs, I will have 4 that will be on a AVR setup, the rest will just be TV speakers. Is centralizing these four AVR locations the standard thing to do? Or do most just localize them? Also, I would have to get blaun sets for each TV location no matter what, right? So I would need 28 sets of blauns? And yessir, I would like to have a TV playing the football game and have multiple rooms playing the audio.

What do you consider to be "crazy expensive?"  The Triad AMS24 24x24 audio matrix is somewhere around $2400 I believe.  This doesn't seem crazy expensive in the grand scheme of things.  I chose not to do video distribution in my new build (but I did pre-wire for it, just in case I change my mind).  I don't really see the value of centralizing video sources when you have things like Dish Network's Hopper/Joey and do a lot of streaming on Netflix, etc.  If I were to do it, no way I would use an HDMI matrix.  HDMI evolves too quickly, and your $8k matrix will be worth $100 in a year (ok, maybe an exaggeration).  Like others said, I would look to an IP based solution like JAP/VideoStorm/etc.

I would also avoid doing things "because they look cool" (ie touch screens in every bedroom).  Think about the actual usage of these touchscreens. Go ahead and run CAT6 everywhere you think you may want one, but I wouldn't install them immediately.  Use your system for a while, and then add more if you feel like you really want/need them.

7 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Thanks for the advice on the touchscreens. Is the reason for that recommendation just the cost? As far as security, I would put an alarm keypad in the Master and also in the Mud Room. There will only be four family members. My wife and I with two kids that are only 4 and 6 years old. I just love TVs. of those 14 TVs, I will have 4 that will be on a AVR setup, the rest will just be TV speakers. Is centralizing these four AVR locations the standard thing to do? Or do most just localize them? Also, I would have to get blaun sets for each TV location no matter what, right? So I would need 28 sets of blauns? And yessir, I would like to have a TV playing the football game and have multiple rooms playing the audio.

re: local vs centralized AVR location, pros and cons to each.  no correct way.  you only need a balun behind each tv (so 14, not 28) if you are going to do video distribution from a centralized location.  let's say your cable boxes are downstairs.  HDMI cable box > encoder box > ethernet wire > switch > ethernet wire up to the TV location > Balun > Hdmi into the back of the TV (or into the AVR, then another hdmi from AVR > TV).  That will bring audio/video from the centralized unit into the room with the TV.  If you elect to to have 4 AVR's being centrally located too, 100% you need good audio distribution. especially if you want cable box audio in a room without a TV - welcome to the world of full blow video/audio distribution.  https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=cmx3838a2 will give you up to 38 sources to 38 locations.  The Triad goes up to 24, so that does not give you much room for growth.  Also not sure how the Triad will handle audio delay.  As for the encoders/decoders, these are the decoders you can use with Video storm (aka the balun behind the tv) https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayhomedecoder and their encoders (aka what the cable box or streaming stick will plug into) https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayready - mind you, some will say buy 14 fire sticks and put them at each TV. Sure you can do that, but then you have 14 appliances to upkeep.  Firmware updates, changing of apps, when drivers go bad and you need to figure out a solution you need to do that x14, make a change to your kodi library and you need to do that 14 times, etc.  Cheaper but more headache with the upkeep.  I find the upkeep on little streaming sticks to be annoying, drivers go back, need to swap out for newer ones, etc.    @videostorm can probably add more input. 

The biggest thing also is to get a dealer who can build a system of your size and complexity and use the tools/hardware they know the best.  Otherwise you are asking for major headaches.

So to me, if you are up for video distribution, keep it simple:

2-3 cable boxes
2-3 streaming sticks of your choice

That would give you 4-6 sources to watch for a family of 4.

The cost of the touchscreen vs its usage is low to me.  Even if you get used ones.  Devices are usually supported for 5-10 years max.  So at some point those older touch screens *may* put some limits on their ability to do certain tasks, ability to upgrade your OS, etc.  those older TS are based on Flash whereas all new C4 stuff is now Android based.  I just think personally its throwing away money to give a 4 year old a touch screen in their room.  But that is my personal opinion.

Other than the PoE switch you mentioned you've been light on your networking details, you'll need a good router, access points, etc....

Thanks. I would also like to do Dish Network or Direct TV, but with that number if TVs my dealers here want me to buy $3000 to $4000 in equipment. Its ridiculous. Forgive me here, but can you explain what you mean by IP based solution? What is the difference between that and an HDMI matrix? Also, what did you do for pre-wiring for Video distribution. Run two Cat6 cables to every TV location?

Just now, rf9000 said:

Thanks. I would also like to do Dish Network or Direct TV, but with that number if TVs my dealers here want me to buy $3000 to $4000 in equipment. Its ridiculous. Forgive me here, but can you explain what you mean by IP based solution? What is the difference between that and an HDMI matrix? Also, what did you do for pre-wiring for Video distribution. Run two Cat6 cables to every TV location?

traditional HDMI Matrix vs an IP Solution: http://www.justaddpower.com/blog/2016/06/hdmi-over-ip-vs-hdbaset-some-differences/

basically hdmi matrix are fixed in a 4x4, 6x6 or 8x8 fashion - ie you can take 4 sources and share it on 4 tvs (4x4).  IP is more modular, you can have YxZ with no problem.  and not everything has to be centralized in the same location, you can have a random device in room A and the rest of your devices in Room B but they can all be accessed via your Video over IP solution if all on the same network.

the $3-$4000 in equipment was Dish/DirectTV gear or a matrix?  Video Matrix systems are not cheap, especially for 14 units!  That said, if you are big Fire TV users, the Video Storm system can work on Fire TVs or Nvidia Shields which can help bring down your costs.  you start looking for features like 4k or audio downmixing and it gets confusing and expensive!  

for prewire, 2 cat6 is a minimum.  so may suggest 3-4.  the big thing, add conduit, 2'', behind the walls.  so you can run newer wires in the future.  its inevitable.  

Thanks again. And thanks for explaining. It seems like sort of a headache to add the centralized AVRs? 

The reason for the touchscreen is just to have something visual to look at and search for songs, etc. Having a keypad where one has to remember clicks, sequences, etc. seems stage. Especially when a keypad cost as much as the screen I mentioned. I guess though there would be cell phones for this too.

As for networking, I plan and having six ceiling mounted access points distributed inside, outside and in the garage. What do you recommend for the best router, firewall, and access points? Also, do you have a recommendation for a good POE 48 port switch?

I'm actually adding a 4' foundation all the way around my home and putting in floor joists for a crawlspace exactly for this reason. I can access any room in the future.

The $3000 to $4000 in equipment was from Dish Network. They give you like five TVs free when you sign up but if you have as many as I do then they want to charge you for the equipment to set them all up. Are you saying with a video matrix that I could get buy with 4-5 Dish Network boxes and distribute them to all TVs as five separate sources? How does that work then when actually sitting at the TV? Say 4 of the 5 boxes are being used by other users, do I need to search through the sources or does the video matrix automatically handle that and utilize a source that is open?

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

i believe Video Storm is cheaper.  Just Add Power has been around longer in the game, that's all.

They are slightly different systems as well. JAP is a long standing brand in the custom industry (both residential and commercial jobs). VideoStorm as a brand has been around for a long time too, but are not as well known. Also a much smaller company.

Under the note that I've used VideoStorm for years (though not their IP video system) with superb results, going with JAP does give you a bit of 'solidity' things keep working, and/or stays around with support.

2 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

I could get buy with 4-5 Dish Network boxes and distribute them to all TVs as five separate sources? How does that work then when actually sitting at the TV? Say 4 of the 5 boxes are being used by other users, do I need to search through the sources or does the video matrix automatically handle that and utilize a source that is open?

When using distributed video, you would get the amount of (each type) of source you believe is likely to be in use at any one time. Ig it's likely each family member is watching something on their own, you'd get that many. In that latter scenario, you would simply neame each box to the user - and that user selects 'their' box wherever they happen to be sitting.

In my household, I have one for Parents, One for kids and a third for whomever, as it's not likely (never happened) that more than 3 boxes are on at the same time.

The system CAN 'auto-select' unused boxes when people (start) by selecting a channel vs selecting a box, but that is usually not a good method in practice.

Hmmm...You never have more than 3 TVs on at one time watching different channels? Maybe we watch more TV then others, but that seems like it could happen a lot at our home when we have get togethers, guests staying with us, etc. I looked at the Videostorm 38x38. They can be bought for $2500 which isn't too bad. Just don't know if all of it is worth it. Maybe I should just do Direct TV or Dish Network, pay the $3000 extra for equipment and have a localized box at every TV. Then just localize my four AVR locations too. Its a new build so I can hide them. Even though it would be nice to be able to play sound from a TV in multiple rooms. And it would be nice to get notifications on screen, etc. And would be nice to eliminate having to rent 14 boxes per month. Tough call. Does nay have specific suggestions for a audio matrix for 24 zones?

Also, I'm looking for a dealer that can help me with all of this. But I would need them to work with me. I would like them to plan out the system, tell me what I need to wire and what I all need to buy, help me with the install questions, and then program the system for me. Anything I can but on my own I would buy from the dealer like the switches, etc.

50 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Thanks again. And thanks for explaining. It seems like sort of a headache to add the centralized AVRs? 

The reason for the touchscreen is just to have something visual to look at and search for songs, etc. Having a keypad where one has to remember clicks, sequences, etc. seems stage. Especially when a keypad cost as much as the screen I mentioned. I guess though there would be cell phones for this too.

its not a headache to centralize the AVR

you said you want the audio feed from a TV in a room with Audio but no TV.  For that, you need proper distribution.  If your AVR is local or centralized is not really going to move the needle all that much.

kids will use their tablet/phone to scroll for a song, or use alexa to ask for a playlist.  touchscreen overrated 😉  a 4 year old will enjoy an iPad more and its a fraction of the cost.  The big draw to the c4 touchscreen is its always "on" the c4 app if you will, and the intercom/doorstation calls work on it.  for controlling music, go with a tablet/phone and the c4 app.

Also what audio sources are you playing?  You get 5 off the EA5.  You plugging in anything else audio wise?  With 24x25 or 38x38 you have tons of options like CD players, record players, Sonos Connects, Amazon Devices, Chromecasts, etc.  so you may want the audio matrix regardless.

33 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Hmmm...You never have more than 3 TVs on at one time watching different channels? Maybe we watch more TV then others, but that seems like it could happen a lot at our home when we have get togethers, guests staying with us, etc. I looked at the Videostorm 38x38. They can be bought for $2500 which isn't too bad. Just don't know if all of it is worth it. Maybe I should just do Direct TV or Dish Network, pay the $3000 extra for equipment and have a localized box at every TV. Then just localize my four AVR locations too. Its a new build so I can hide them. Even though it would be nice to be able to play sound from a TV in multiple rooms. And it would be nice to get notifications on screen, etc. And would be nice to eliminate having to rent 14 boxes per month. Tough call. Does nay have specific suggestions for a audio matrix for 24 zones?

You have 4 people in your house.  let's say you have 1-2 guests over, you still will not have more than 6 different feeds?  Let's be honest, if you have 2-3 people staying over, why is everyone in their own room watching TV on their own?  And for guests, you 100% want some cable box/dish boxes or something since they will not know what to find on your netflix account or whatever.  They just may want to put on Seinfeld reruns and go to bed.  My house is a 2 person house, the most we've ever had is 2 different sources at once!  Even when guests come over, wife and I share a bedroom so we watch a source while guests are in their bedroom watching something.  Otherwise we are with our guests watching TV together in the living room or out of the house enjoying the non TV world.  I am not talking you out of 14 TVs, just realize you'll never have 8-9 unique sources playing unless you have 5 more kids 😃

50 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

As for networking, I plan and having six ceiling mounted access points distributed inside, outside and in the garage. What do you recommend for the best router, firewall, and access points? Also, do you have a recommendation for a good POE 48 port switch?

whatever your dealer is comfortable using.  If you need to ask then you likely do not have the experience in this area, so trust your dealer.

You have a system designed for C4 and a professional installer.  There is not 1 way to set you up.  Give your list of required and then nice to have scenarios to 2 or 3 dealers.  Get quotes, talk to them, see who you are comfortable working with and who is understanding your use cases.  Ask for references.  then dive in.

Thanks. So the EA5 will allow five audio sources but will have no way to distribute  to 24 zones? Or can it act as the audio matrix with the four dummy amps? is the only reason for getting a 24x24 or 38x38 audio matrix just to allow for more sources?

On the controller topic, for my system would an EA3 be sufficient or would the EA5 be needed?

As far as the networking,I previously;y bought a Linksys 48 port POE switch and everything else was Netgear Pro. This was seven years ago though. t makes sense to go what with what my dealer recommends. eggzlot, are you a dealer?

An EA-5 will only distribute to 5 sessions/groups of zones. To distribute to more zones, you use an audio matrix. Your system will almost guaranteed need more inputs than just C4 audio.

The EA-5 would allow 5 different sessions, distributed over many zones with an audio switch. So, you could have 10 rooms listening to one stream, and another 5 on another stream, another 5 on another stream, etc. If you have 24 zones of speakers, you have to have some sort of matrix to do the switching.

An EA-3 only has 3 streams, so, it could still handle 24 rooms with an audio switch, but that would limit the number of unique sessions to 3.

Is that really the only difference between the EA-3 and EA-5? Also, I just don't see myself ever needing 24 separate source streams . Honestly, all we ever listen to is Deezer or some online service. Maybe 2 different streams/channels at one time. The most ever would be 3.  Is there a solution out there other than a 24x24 audio switch?

Archived