C4 Forums | Control4

Eva 9150

I want to get a netgear eva 9150 - but sounds very complex to setup and use.....is it for only very advanced users or can joe shmoe figure it out and use it pretty easy - all i want to do is add blueray movies into my nas for playback from there.......

thanks. just want to know if i will just pull my hair out all night long with it - or if it is easy to get going...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blu-ray isn't supported as an .iso format, you have to transcode it with something like the Vid2EVA program, and then put that resulting file on the NAS.

Not terribly hard to setup.

1) Buy Netgear

2) Buy/configure NAS

3) Dealer adds netgear to your project (static IP, other configurations like no power off)

4) Add video files to NAS in the location that control4 is looking (from step 3)

5) Scan files with composer or add other file types manually.

6) Movie files will show up on Navigator devices, and you can browse by coverart.

7) movie is selected, c4 tells the netgear (play x file located here), and then switches the video to the netgear's output, movie starts playing and your c4 remote controls the Netgear.

The process is similar for XBMC or Zatabit.

oh great - sounds too easy - ................not ( you would think by now there would be a system to put in your blueray dvd click a button to add it to your nas and boom your done) no so lucky i guess :)

argggg - i think i will hold off for now - still having grey hairs from figuring out all the other programming......

oh great - sounds too easy - ................not ( you would think by now there would be a system to put in your blueray dvd click a button to add it to your nas and boom your done) no so lucky i guess :)

argggg - i think i will hold off for now - still having grey hairs from figuring out all the other programming......

This is actually really easy. I had mine setup with 15 minutes. Movie rips take about 30 seconds to add to the system (okay, maybe 60) after you have ripped the disc to your NAS.

If you do several at a time, you can cut the per disc time down as scanning is what takes the majority of that time.

Who remembers:

CP/M?

PC DOS?

DR DOS?

Xerox Sigma 7?

80 Column Hollerith cards?

A large room full of computer hardware and floor standing drum harddrives with tape backup?

Line Printers?

Monochrome monitors?

COBOL, FORTRAN, ASSEMBLER, PASCAL, MUMPS, PL1?

Old IT guys. That's who!

Thanks! Hey I've got some movie files on my computer but their file sizes are about 700 MB - does that seem too small a file - or is that about right for good playback.

Depends on how it was transcoded and what the source was. Single layer DVDs hold up to 4.5 GB of data, so taking out the menus, languages, extras, etc... and transcoding to mkv or something else... it might end up at that size.

Most of my DVD's are larger than that. I think mine are usually around 2 - 4 GB...

I'll have to double check when I get home, I don't really pay attention to the file size. I use AnyDVD and I cut out the extra crap, and just go straight to the menu.

Archived