C4 Forums | Control4

UniFi Cameras

On a networking thread various people mentioned that they don’t really have issues with UniFi networking, my question is in relation to using UniFi networking what about using the UniFi integrated camera with the networking (https://unifi-network.ui.com/video-security)

I see many people mentioning Hikvision cameras, has anybody used the UniFi camera and if so, how does it work with C4?

You can play video camera stream on navigator.   If you want more than that then no.   For me this is all I need.   Just another FYI...   A guy has written a camera app for Apple TV for $2.99.   It plays all of the Unifi Protect camera streams up to 1080P and full screen.  Also have thumbnails.    It’s called CCTV Viewer.   After a few days of use,  I find it much more practical for viewing vs through the C4 Navigator.

7 hours ago, ejn1 said:

You can play video camera stream on navigator.   If you want more than that then no.   For me this is all I need.   Just another FYI...   A guy has written a camera app for Apple TV for $2.99.   It plays all of the Unifi Protect camera streams up to 1080P and full screen.  Also have thumbnails.    It’s called CCTV Viewer.   After a few days of use,  I find it much more practical for viewing vs through the C4 Navigator.

Or just use the official unifi protect app on Apple TV. 

there’s also the UniFi protect viewport that connects the feed to to an hdmi source for viewing on a screen.  

I've been using Unifi cameras with the unifi nvr for about 4 years now. I've only had C4 for a couple years and haven't tried to integrate them. 

I feel that they are ok, but there are probably better options available. Keep in mind that my equipment is the older UVC G3 model cameras and nvr. The newer ones may be better.  The price seemed right when I got mine and I had a friend who seemed happy with them.

I primarily check them on my pc. I don't care for the app on my iphone. On both the PC and IPhone I feel that it is slow to load. 

However, I have had them for a while and once setup they haven't failed.

For me personally, if I ever need to replace them I'll explore other options. It's something that has become more important to me over time and I'd probably be willing to spend a little more if it meant a performance/experience boost.

I have a Luma NVR (effectively a Hikvision OEM from what I understand) and have become dissatisfied for a number of reasons (losing Mac browser support being one), so I've been in the market for a replacement and have considered UniFi. If UniFi is "meh", then what do people consider the best choice? And what makes that choice better than the rest in your opinion?

15 hours ago, janthony6 said:

Or just use the official unifi protect app on Apple TV. 

there’s also the UniFi protect viewport that connects the feed to to an hdmi source for viewing on a screen.  

The viewport seems pricey at $199 if you can run through your ATV for nominal amount but indeed another good option.

6 hours ago, BAS said:

I've been using Unifi cameras with the unifi nvr for about 4 years now. I've only had C4 for a couple years and haven't tried to integrate them. 

I feel that they are ok, but there are probably better options available. Keep in mind that my equipment is the older UVC G3 model cameras and nvr. The newer ones may be better.  The price seemed right when I got mine and I had a friend who seemed happy with them.

I primarily check them on my pc. I don't care for the app on my iphone. On both the PC and IPhone I feel that it is slow to load. 

However, I have had them for a while and once setup they haven't failed.

For me personally, if I ever need to replace them I'll explore other options. It's something that has become more important to me over time and I'd probably be willing to spend a little more if it meant a performance/experience boost.

I think the new Unifi Protect system is a lot easier user experience imho...

18 hours ago, johnpg said:

I have a Luma NVR (effectively a Hikvision OEM from what I understand) and have become dissatisfied for a number of reasons (losing Mac browser support being one), so I've been in the market for a replacement and have considered UniFi. If UniFi is "meh", then what do people consider the best choice? And what makes that choice better than the rest in your opinion?

If tight Control4 integration is your goal, then Hik and one of the third party drivers out there e.g. Chowmain, Manfell etc. @msgreenf has some excellent drivers for less expensive cameras. @msgreenf are you still in favour of Amcrest?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.