C4 Forums | Control4

Inputs Connection of EA1 and 4-Zone amp

D.Adams

Check this out at Amazon.com
J-Tech Digital 4K 60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output Supports HDMI 2.0, 18Gpbs Bandwidth, HDCP 2.2, Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR10 [JTD18G-H5CH] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HHSJVN/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_jt5wFb6NRTHTX

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, SMHarman said:

Get an HC800 on eBay and use that for the audio connections?

As long as you're not doing hi-res audio, the HC800 makes a good audio streamer.

The HC series doesn't have the same hi-res audio capabilities, and doesn't have DACs specifically selected for hi-res audio, as the EA series does.

RyanE

As long as you're not doing hi-res audio, the HC800 makes a good audio streamer.

The HC series doesn't have the same hi-res audio capabilities, and doesn't have DACs specifically selected for hi-res audio, as the EA series does.

RyanE

All true but this is going into a 4 zone legacy amp.

I just picked up an eBay HC800 for $116 taxed and delivered. Gets more Audio streams than the one $40 breakout HDMI device.

16 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Heh, then you should have gotten it's current replacement, EA3, not an EA1 😉

They really should have put an audio out on the EA-0 (which should be the name of the EA-1 since it doesn't have a true audio output).  I wonder if this was done for cost saving reasons or to force you to spend an extra ~$500 to move from an EA-1 to EA-3 if you want a proper audio connection.

37 minutes ago, zaphod said:

They really should have put an audio out on the EA-0 (which should be the name of the EA-1 since it doesn't have a true audio output).  I wonder if this was done for cost saving reasons or to force you to spend an extra ~$500 to move from an EA-1 to EA-3 if you want a proper audio connection.

I think the main justification is that the EA-1 was designed to be a 'home theater-specific' controller, not really a whole home controller, to have a lower cost of entry for that specific scenario.

If you were just automating a home theater, the HDMI audio out is a good fit, as it's likely the HDMI would be going into a receiver to provide amplification, etc.

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.