C4 Forums | Control4

Creating a tripwire event on luma nvr and camera

derek.ge

My client would like a sound to be played over the speakers by there pool when someone drives up their driveway. They currently have two sonos amps for the speakers in the backyard around the pool. They have an alarm.com camera in the front of the house with a tripwire notification event setup (works consistently), so I will need to replace that camera with a different brand that is compatible with C4 as well. Has anybody been able to do this or know if it is possible? I havent been able to find a lot of information on this. Thanks

I second the above, on getting a device specifically designed around monitoring cars (there is magentic sensor ones that you bury, and IR "Birdhouses" that can create a tripline)

a Camera is not a very effective way to do this, and i wouldn't replace the camera they already have.

I have a very similar setup with Luma cameras, and while i can trigger an event in C4 when something crosses, a TON of false positives happening.  Cameras detect motion by contract change.  This means that if you have a shadow of a tree on your driveway, thats motion.  if the wind blows that tree, thats motion.  even on the least sensitive settings.

A motion detecting camera is the least effective device to monitor this type of movement.  get a proper motion detector, or somethingg specific for vehicles.

I've been able to tune my hikvision for line cross detection on my driveway.  I've got it tuned just right to alerts on cars.  Hikvision has a line-cross detection.  The camera sends an alert to controller.  When you set this up, bindings are created when you have LineDetection setup on the camera.  You then bind that with a sensor in composer. 

Free Hikvision driver supports this.

When you set up line detection in the Hikvision you'll want to send notifications to the notifications center.  This will alert Composer. 

Newer Hikvision cameras support the detection of Auto or People.  I haven't tested one of these yet.  What I like about this solution over the hardware solution is you can detect direction.

18 hours ago, DanITman said:

I've been able to tune my hikvision for line cross detection on my driveway.  I've got it tuned just right to alerts on cars.  Hikvision has a line-cross detection.  The camera sends an alert to controller.  When you set this up, bindings are created when you have LineDetection setup on the camera.  You then bind that with a sensor in composer.

Ever look at ALPR?  Kind of creepy in some ways...

There are services that can read the license plate and also determine the vehicle type.

On 9/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, DanITman said:

Free Hikvision driver supports this.

When you set up line detection in the Hikvision you'll want to send notifications to the notifications center.  This will alert Composer. 

Newer Hikvision cameras support the detection of Auto or People.  I haven't tested one of these yet.  What I like about this solution over the hardware solution is you can detect direction.

I've also managed to do this using an LTS camera (rebranded hik). I use it at my side gates to turn on flood lights if someone enters and send me a message if its night time... I will say thought its not 100% sometimes it takes several minutes for the notification to come through or for the light to turn on.  This is an issue on the camera side not the C4 side as the nvr notification center is delayed.

As others mentioned a different device besides a camera is going to be a lot more reliable.  For my front door I use a motion sensor to do the same notification you are talking about but it faces towards the door so I don't get to many false alarms.  For my gate application mentioned above I want to put honeywell wireless outdoor alarm contact sensors into my alarm system which is integrated into C4 but haven't gotten around to it yet.  

On 9/30/2020 at 9:52 AM, zaphod said:

Ever look at ALPR?  Kind of creepy in some ways...

There are services that can read the license plate and also determine the vehicle type.

Yes, there is a ton of "creepy" use cases for surveillance. You can really spend a boat load on these cameras. Their business has been blowing up with the new temp sensing cameras and the demand for those during COVID.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.