C4 Forums | Control4

Simple way to tell if any light is on?

azkid

I recently added a keypad near my garage door for when I am leaving the house.  I have a button set up to turn off all lights in the house using a advance lighting scene.  What I would like to do is have that button light up yellow if any light is on in the house and then not light up if all the lights turn off.  Is there a simple way to do this?  I could create a variable but I have over 20 lights and that seems like a lot of work.  Also all of my lights are lutron connected to c4 using the pro bridge if that matters... Wondering if there is a simple way?  I'm sure there is a paid driver but trying to avoid that if possible. Thanks in advance! 

Oh and note (in general terms0 that this DOES of course require that the scene is set to track every light, that it's tracking (if using an off version) ALL LOAD (which is the default), and that the lighting used tracks properly (haven't actually tried in a while with Lutron, but especially 3rd party, tracking isn't always 100% accurate depending on driver/device/brand)

So another thing to think of is instead of needing to see if a light is on why not just have an all off button? We double tap a button in mud room and after a timer closes everything up, closes garage doors, arms alarm, turns off all lights. Similar for a bedtime button but arms to stay instead of away. No guessing or needing an LED to tell you if you know you want everything off just hit the button. 

5 hours ago, azkid said:

got it working thanks all! Question tho what does it mean by top button?  I used top and it works but again not sure what the difference is since I assigned it to a particular button not the top one. 

Lighting scenes are just like switches, they have a top button, "scene on/active", and a bottom button, "scene off/inactive". You could technically link those respective to a '1 button keypad' and have scene on, scene off, just like any other wall switch.

Making connections, typically you use a toggle connection to a scene. Connecting using "top button" always activates the scene, and the "bottom button" deactivates the scene.
You wanted a scene for all off, thus created, to engage all off, you connect to the top button = activate.

15 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

So another thing to think of is instead of needing to see if a light is on why not just have an all off button? We double tap a button in mud room and after a timer closes everything up, closes garage doors, arms alarm, turns off all lights. Similar for a bedtime button but arms to stay instead of away. No guessing or needing an LED to tell you if you know you want everything off just hit the button. 

Say it's a bedroom.... this way you can see that a light is on somewhere. Or maybe it's for outsides, or downstairs, or the guest cottage or....

5 hours ago, RAV said:

Say it's a bedroom.... this way you can see that a light is on somewhere. Or maybe it's for outsides, or downstairs, or the guest cottage or....

Right but I suppose to me I either want all the lights off or I don't. If I have a simple all off button then I can turn it off. Having a light is not any better than pulling out the phone quick and clicking "all" and "active" on lighting to see which loads are on and manipulate them. That's my personal preference but to each their own for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

Right but I suppose to me I either want all the lights off or I don't. If I have a simple all off button then I can turn it off. Having a light is not any better than pulling out the phone quick and clicking "all" and "active" on lighting to see which loads are on and manipulate them. That's my personal preference but to each their own for sure. 

concept is I'm walking out of my house, the switch is lit up so I know oh some light is still on, I click that button it turns it all off.  Yes I could click the button every time but honestly I'm lazy and I probably wouldn't do it if the light on the keypad isn't on to remind me. 

4 hours ago, azkid said:

concept is I'm walking out of my house, the switch is lit up so I know oh some light is still on, I click that button it turns it all off.  Yes I could click the button every time but honestly I'm lazy and I probably wouldn't do it if the light on the keypad isn't on to remind me. 

Fair enough, we have a scene that closes blinds, turns off lights, arms alarm, etc so we hit it every time we leave the house as a family or last one out. I also have a NYCE keyfob and sometimes I just do the voice scene through android auto point is if last one out no matter what we're hitting some sort of away button/scene. 

5 hours ago, azkid said:

This is my view also... lazy - which is why we have automation.

My House Off buttons work as follows:

1. One push for all lights off

2. Two clicks for all AV off

3. Three clicks for both.

At the exit points, I have exit and arm buttons which do all of the above and arm the alarm.

At my holiday house exit points, the LED is blue for a light on and red for a door or window open (no automation to close these though).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.