C4 Forums | Control4

Modern Forms Ceiling Fan

malelan

27 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I’m not sure what you mean…the modern form fan uses WiFi and connects to Control4 natively.  You can then control it via any keypad, app, etc….

Meaning that yes any keypad would do in a way as you don't need line voltage control anymore. But watch code on having a fan hardwired with no on/off power control.

You could also basically just keep the fan controller (but you're stuck with 5 buttons), remove the 'hard' button connections, put in a bit of programming to keep that fan at 100% at all times and program the buttons to control the new wifi fan speed settings.

You could bypass the fan output of the Control4 Fan Speed Controller essentially turning it into a KC120 and run the hot direct to the new fan.
Then reprogram the buttons as you'd like. But I don't think you'll be able to 'add' an up/down to the fan controller driver in composer.

But no the KCB is not a choice as it's 48v power and RS485 for panelized lighting. KC120 would be the choice.

OOps, yes didn't catch that, can't use the wired keypad, you'd want the wireless one.

18 minutes ago, RAV said:

But I don't think you'll be able to 'add' an up/down to the fan controller driver in composer.

The fan controller cannot change the hard button layout at all.

On 4/22/2024 at 4:10 PM, msgreenf said:

I’m not sure what you mean…the modern form fan uses WiFi and connects to Control4 natively.  You can then control it via any keypad, app, etc….

Do I just leave the current C4 AC Fan Switch as is when the Modern Forms fan is installed by the electrician?  

Any direction you can guide me to that summarizes the current C4 light switch offerings, as my switches were  installed around 9 years ago?

Would make life simpler if C4 had a DC fan switch, similar to the AC Fan switch.

16 minutes ago, IBZICON said:

Do I just leave the current C4 AC Fan Switch as is when the Modern Forms fan is installed by the electrician?  

Any direction you can guide me to that summarizes the current C4 light switch offerings, as my switches were  installed around 9 years ago?

Would make life simpler if C4 had a DC fan switch, similar to the AC Fan switch.

No, you don't use a fan switch. That is to control an old school fan. I would personally just use a dummy non-control 4 switch or a keypad something like that.

3 hours ago, IBZICON said:

You'd bypass it's control wire and do a passthrough power to the ceiling fan location, at which point you could still use the existing fan controller as a keypad (but you can't change the layout so you're stuck with that. Alternatively you'd put a wireless keypad in place so you can configure it to you heart's content)

9 hours ago, msgreenf said:

No, you don't use a fan switch. That is to control an old school fan. I would personally just use a dummy non-control 4 switch or a keypad something like that.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

You'd bypass it's control wire and do a passthrough power to the ceiling fan location, at which point you could still use the existing fan controller as a keypad (but you can't change the layout so you're stuck with that. Alternatively you'd put a wireless keypad in place so you can configure it to you heart's content)

Would a C4-KC120277 work?  Sorry as I'm not an electrician by trade trying to understand KC, KD (which is a dimmable programable switch and not appropriate for a fan) and KA .  Trying to understand the types of C4 light switches that were installed, as I update from AC to DC fans.  

Yes, I would like to change the layout of the programmable keys and why I don't want a 'dummy non-control 4 switch'

Is the attached photo an example of a KC120277, as the top button controls two AC fans on my porch and the reminder keys are for scenes.  I assume I can re-use this light switch (attached photo).

IMG_2001.JPG

On 4/22/2024 at 5:30 PM, RAV said:

You could bypass the fan output of the Control4 Fan Speed Controller essentially turning it into a KC120 and run the hot direct to the new fan.
Then reprogram the buttons as you'd like. But I don't think you'll be able to 'add' an up/down to the fan controller driver in composer.

But no the KCB is not a choice as it's 48v power and RS485 for panelized lighting. KC120 would be the choice.

This is the current C4 fan switch in my master bedroom (AC fan)  I didn't want to confuse the pictures, thus the 2nd follow-up post.  You're saying I could reprogram this switch when I have the DC fan installed and add scene keys such as Music (on/off), TV (on/off).   Just not the volume rockers, which I'm OK with as there is a touch panel nearby and remote.

IMG_1996.JPG

1 hour ago, IBZICON said:

You're saying I could reprogram this switch

Yes, the fan controller buttons are fully programmable - unlike the KC120277 the layout just can't be changed.

For the record:

1 hour ago, IBZICON said:

KC, KD (which is a dimmable programable switch and not appropriate for a fan) and KA

KC = configurable keypad. Doesn't control a load itself

KD = is a keypad and dimmer in one, so controls a load as a dimmer (and yes not what you want here at all)

KA = something else entirely in that it's a special device to act as a multi-way switch for cheap (think top and bottom of stairs), no programming involved (or possible) and looks like a C4 regular switch or dimmer but no leds.