C4 Forums | Control4

Does anyone here have experience converting manual roller shades to motorized ?

OceanDad

I'm looking to see if it's possible to convert a bunch of manual (chain operated) roller shades to motorized.  I'd like to be able to reuse the existing fabric and soffit/fascia, and just swap out the tubes if possible.

Existing tubes are 1.5" overall diameter, pictured here.  All the shades are a pair of rollers, one sheer/one blackout within the fascia, and I would like to maintain both if possible.  Shades will have to be battery operated, given the lack of any hardwiring in the right places.

Ideally I would integrate using Bond Bridge, but any C4 compatible answer would be OK.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kppo1fzgp3iblm/IMG_2251.HEIC?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/so4w29eu864qgn2/IMG_2252.HEIC?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2uyttdfs86a9se/IMG_2253.HEIC?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urzxunyisjmv1fb/img_2255.heic?dl=0

On 1/8/2021 at 12:18 PM, OceanDad said:

Hi, thanks.  I'm trying to work out if these tubes are reusable - they have a rather unusual three groove profile that doesn't seem to match anything by Rollease/Somfy etc.

From your pics,  idler says ZMC from ZMC Blinds likely using 7" duo brackets. Tube looks like a RS-3TU but am not sure on exact size, replacement insert mounting plates for motors available if needed.  

https://www.zmc.ca/product-category/somfy/joint-shade-30-28/  https://www.zmc.ca/?post_type=product&s=rs-3tu&category=&results-per-page=20

Av outlet: 

https://www.avoutlet.com/window-treatments/shade-components/motorized/adapters/somfy-9014333-st30-crown-drive/

https://www.avoutlet.com/images/product/additional/s/st30-cd_sets.pdf

Thanks for the response - much appreciated.  I have had some correspondence with Ken @ AV Outlet, and with ZMC themselves.  It appears that the tube is the RS-3TU from ZMC, which appears to be identical to the Louvolite System 45 tube.

So - I need a battery powered motor (no hardwiring available).  That seems to limit me to the Somfy RU28 motor, although I'm not sure how I will accomodate the external  battery pack that's required with these.

Seems like the minor parts to do the conversion are the Somfy 9014333 C/D and the ZMC RS-B74 RU28 crown.  Plus motor and battery pack of course.

My tube length is 31".  It seems like the RU28 motor only comes in one length, which is considerably shorter than that.  How does it work inside a longer tube - is it accompanied by a cut to fit central 'bar' that locks into the crown mechanism ?  Please excuse the the basic question, but I haven't done this stuff before.

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

Thanks for the response - much appreciated.  I have had some correspondence with Ken @ AV Outlet, and with ZMC themselves.  It appears that the tube is the RS-3TU from ZMC, which appears to be identical to the Louvolite System 45 tube.

So - I need a battery powered motor (no hardwiring available).  That seems to limit me to the Somfy RU28 motor, although I'm not sure how I will accomodate the external  battery pack that's required with these.

Seems like the minor parts to do the conversion are the Somfy 9014333 C/D and the ZMC RS-B74 RU28 crown.  Plus motor and battery pack of course.

My tube length is 31".  It seems like the RU28 motor only comes in one length, which is considerably shorter than that.  How does it work inside a longer tube - is it accompanied by a cut to fit central 'bar' that locks into the crown mechanism ?  Please excuse the the basic question, but I haven't done this stuff before.

The motor just needs to be shorter than the window / tube. It sits in one end. Both ends have the required caps for the tube size. One of those caps will have an x in long motor on the other side of it. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2021 at 6:57 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Have you look at use Axis Gear 

https://helloaxis.com/

Very Simple and works well within C4 

Look will not be as clean, as you still need the chain 

Hi,

Sorry to jump onto this thread. I am a long term (at least 3 years) Axis Gear user. I've been fairly happy with it. I have 6 Axis Gear blinds controllers. Originally I used just the basic internal firmware to control the blinds. When they added group support I created groups. But got frustrated that it didn't support sunrise/set as I wanted the blinds to open/close based on sunrise and sunset times.

So I then, about a year ago, integrated them with SmartThings. The problem I have is that sometimes the SmartThings hub looses communication with a random blind. So then I manually re-connect them till a few days later it looses connection with another blind.

Now I'm thinking of adding the Axis Gear to my C4 system. Most of my home is C4 controlled, except the Axis gear that I bought long before I started getting into C4.

How difficult is it to configure the Axis Gear with C4? I assume I need my installer to do the basic driver install. True? Then can I add groups and open/close times myself with Composer HE?

Is there one driver for each Gear unit?

thanks in advance. 

Yup - one instance of the driver for each Gear unit.  It's a free driver.

I've finally worked out how to motorize my shades using Somfy motors.  Ken @ AV Outlet has been very helpful with the small details of which crown/drive kit to use to make everything fit perfectly.  I've just got one installed as a trial, and it works perfectly.  Install took just a few minutes, which is a lot less than the damn Somfy programming, which is always a bit of a crap shoot.  Anyway, it all looks and works great, and those awful chains are finally gone.  Way nicer than the Axis, which a real hack in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Yup - one instance of the driver for each Gear unit.  It's a free driver.

I've finally worked out how to motorize my shades using Somfy motors.  Ken @ AV Outlet has been very helpful with the small details of which crown/drive kit to use to make everything fit perfectly.  I've just got one installed as a trial, and it works perfectly.  Install took just a few minutes, which is a lot less than the damn Somfy programming, which is always a bit of a crap shoot.  Anyway, it all looks and works great, and those awful chains are finally gone.  Way nicer than the Axis, which a real hack in my opinion.

Thanks. The issue I think I have with the SmartThings hub is that it might be too far from the Axis gears.  With C4 I have an EA1 that is within 10 feet of many of the gears, but the EA3 is on another floor. Does that matter?

Another question, since the driver is free, should it take my installer much time to install the driver remotely since I assume that's required. How easy is it for me to configure with HE? Can I create groups and set it to open/close based on sunrise/sunset? Does that capability exist?

Also, can the installer install the driver without me being there or do I need to coordinate with him so as to recognize each gear?

thanks again.

34 minutes ago, ECS said:

I have 4 Axis and the Control4 driver works. My problem is the chain keeps breaking. It’s easy to fix but very annoying 

Maybe you have the unit too tight on the bracket. I have never had a chain break in 3 years and 6 units. Mine have a little sag in the chain. 

How hard is it to change the chain?  I bought a controller but I haven't been able to install it as the chain is too long.  And how much weight can one of these control as I have a very wide blind that is about 9 ft wide.  I am worried that it is too heavy for the little motor in one of those units.

8 hours ago, zaphod said:

How hard is it to change the chain?  I bought a controller but I haven't been able to install it as the chain is too long.  And how much weight can one of these control as I have a very wide blind that is about 9 ft wide.  I am worried that it is too heavy for the little motor in one of those units.

You just reduce the size of the Chain - we have done this on two of our blinds - Little pack comes with Device to allow this. 

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

My chain isn't a metal chain it is more of a continuous string with plastic beads.  There doesn't seem to be an obvious way that you can shorten this.  Mine looks more like the one on the left in this photo.

Roller blind beaded chain cord white plastic bead part ...

Mine is the same. When I purchased the Axis controllers they included several metal connectors that are the correct thickness. I used them to replace the connector on my plastic beads. Mine looks like your picture on the right. I didn’t need to cut my beads however. I assume you can cut it anywhere, remove 2-3 beads and then use the supplied metal connector. 

On 1/9/2021 at 6:57 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Have you look at use Axis Gear 

https://helloaxis.com/

Very Simple and works well within C4 

Look will not be as clean, as you still need the chain 

Hi

i am still struggling with getting my 6 Axis Gears to work with C4.

I had them working with smart things. I disconnected my smart things hub, removed the devices from my ST app, as well as the Axis app, then reset to factory defaults.

I went through the process of adding them to the axis app and then went into smart home mode.

My installer is a large C4 dealer, sells lots of home audio video equipment and other C4 controlled shades but they never worked with Axis Gear.

They claim they installed the driver correctly; 6 instances. But we can’t get it to recognize my devices when we try to pair.

Is there any magic to get C4 to pair with them? My EA1 is within 10 feet of the gears. I have another EA3 but that’s on another floor.

We are stuck.

thanks in advance.

Go one at a time and reset the device so it use by the axis app and then convert it from the App to 3rd Party Control (I think) then Id it into your project. 

I did this with our Remote dealer no problem 

Also check that AXIS Gear are ZIGBEE they did just a Bluetooth version a few years ago 

2 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Go one at a time and reset the device so it use by the axis app and then convert it from the App to 3rd Party Control (I think) then Id it into your project. 

I did this with our Remote dealer no problem 

Also check that AXIS Gear are ZIGBEE they did just a Bluetooth version a few years ago 

Thanks. Did you need to purchase a separate zigbee C4 device or does it work directly from your EA1 or EA3.?

thanks.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:48 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

My installer has never worked with Axis Gear. I've never worked with a C4 company other than this local home theater/C4 company.

Can I work with another C4 programmer, giving them access to my system and then give back control to my local installer since I may be purchasing audio/video stuff going forward?

Is that difficult to do and then revert back?

I've spoken to tech support at Axis Gear several times. They say they have no issues with C4 control with the Gears.

Do you suggest a remote programmer? Can you send me a PM?

thanks,

Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.