C4 Forums | Control4

Lip sync way off

In our pool house we have the EA-1 going hdmi to an HDMI to analog “splitter” to a C4 4 Channel Amp. 

wife is screening as she watches Bruce on broadway on the Apple TV but it’s like watching an old kung fu movie between the lips and sound. 

anyway to minimize?

59 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

I don’t understand what the ea1 is doing and how it has anything to do with audio delay. 

I’m using the airbridge driver to provide an Airplay connection from my appletv to the EA1. 

update: moved appletv off wireless to Ethernet and no joy. Starting to think it’s because this EA1 is wireless back to the main controller causing a delay.  

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

I’m using the airbridge driver to provide an Airplay connection from my appletv to the EA1. 

update: moved appletv off wireless to Ethernet and no joy. Starting to think it’s because this EA1 is wireless back to the main controller causing a delay.  

It's got nothing to do with wired or wireless. You are using airplay which has a delay when you digitize it into a controller. 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

It's got nothing to do with wired or wireless. You are using airplay which has a delay when you digitize it into a controller. 

Prior to the C4 EA1 to C4 amp, we had a denon receiver with Airplay.  In this case it just went there was no delay.  Looks like I’ll be getting a Belkin Airplay 2 receiver for the pool house. Damn shame. 

Ooof. You I'm guessing a bit of an afterthought installation.

6 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Belkin Airplay 2 receiver for the pool house.

And feed it into the C4 amp? So you have an input open? If so why not use the network cable you have at the ATV to just send audio directly back from the TV vs relying on airplay at all?

13 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Ooof. You I'm guessing a bit of an afterthought installation.

And feed it into the C4 amp? So you have an input open? If so why not use the network cable you have at the ATV to just send audio directly back from the TV vs relying on airplay at all?

the tv is hanging on a stone wall, only power and an HDMI cable are there. the HDMI runs to a back room where the appletv, switch, c4 amp and EA1 live. of course a more perfect solution could be done with time and money.....    we used to use a Denon receiver in place of the C4 AMP, but the C4 AMP handles the multiple audio zones a lot easier.

15 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

If the ATV is where all your other equipment is, then you need to strip stereo audio out of the ATV hdmi to then be used as an input to your amp.  Look for an HDMI de-embedder.

Interesting thought....  I have to check if the HDMI to Analog "strips" or is a "taps".   If it taps, this is a great idea........since i can have the option of sound on the tv or direct to the amp. I think the AMP has more than one analog input too, have to confirm.....

thanks.

43 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

The de-embedder allows stripping the 2 channel stereo audio, while also maintaining the original HDMI signal as a passthru.  Should work great.

Ironically i use one to go from the EA1 HDMI to the C4 AMP..........   kicking myself for not thinking about tapping the ATV.

thanks agian.

22 hours ago, zaphod said:

How hard would it have been to put an analog stereo output on an EA-1?  I really hope that they do include that when they replace the EA-1.

But this forces you to upgrade to the EA-3 and ask "how hard would it have been to put a RCA analog stereo output"?   :)

But really, why isn't there one on the EA-1?

25 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

But really, why isn't there one on the EA-1?

Because the EA-1 is designed to be a single-room solution, with the EA-1 providing local streaming to the room, typically through the TV or AV Receiver.

That's why it costs what it does, that's why it has the features it has.

If you want the features of an EA-3, buy an EA-3.

RyanE

But this makes it very expensive if you want a controller that allows you to extend audio to the room via C4. In those instances an EA-3 is overkill in terms of cost and functionality.  In a room where you have a TV and AVR and you want a proper audio connection.  I have several rooms like this where I had HC-250s and then went to used HC-800s.

14 minutes ago, zaphod said:

But this makes it very expensive if you want a controller that allows you to extend audio to the room via C4. In those instances an EA-3 is overkill in terms of cost and functionality.  In a room where you have a TV and AVR and you want a proper audio connection.  I have several rooms like this where I had HC-250s and then went to used HC-800s.

At the end of the day you are asking for premium features and they come w a cost. 

12 hours ago, msgreenf said:

At the end of the day you are asking for premium features and they come w a cost. 

Is it really a premium feature, if I can add a $10 adapter to the HDMI interface to provide the analog audio?

I obviously can't speak for the vast world.....but for me, I really wish the EA-1 had the same analog out the EA-3 had..... everything from drivers, programming and cables would be so much cleaner, but for me not worth the premium to get the EA-3 vs a $10 adapter.

In the real world, a company has to have some determination as to what features go into which products, and what markets they are designed to serve.

It may be frustrating, but the EA-3 and EA-1 are different products, at different price points, for different consumers.

Sorry.

RyanE

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

Is it really a premium feature, if I can add a $10 adapter to the HDMI interface to provide the analog audio?

I obviously can't speak for the vast world.....but for me, I really wish the EA-1 had the same analog out the EA-3 had..... everything from drivers, programming and cables would be so much cleaner, but for me not worth the premium to get the EA-3 vs a $10 adapter.

That's not exactly comparing apples to apples though for $10.  That adapter doesn't provide an additional stream, it just taps into the hdmi stream.  The EA 3 provides 2 additional, independent music streams (as well as more processing etc).  

47 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

That's not exactly comparing apples to apples though for $10.  That adapter doesn't provide an additional stream, it just taps into the hdmi stream.  The EA 3 provides 2 additional, independent music streams (as well as more processing etc).  

Didn't actually ask for a 2nd stream..... but based on what you said, then one could look at the EA-1 as being "incomplete".  Think about how many devices, like and ATV or TV that has HDMI and also a Digital or Analog port for the sound (same stream minus video).

Not saying i feel C4 is cheating me or screwed up.   Just a little thing on my wish list, but more than happy to buy a $10 part.

7 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Didn't actually ask for a 2nd stream..... but based on what you said, then one could look at the EA-1 as being "incomplete".  Think about how many devices, like and ATV or TV that has HDMI and also a Digital or Analog port for the sound (same stream minus video).

Not saying i feel C4 is cheating me or screwed up.   Just a little thing on my wish list, but more than happy to buy a $10 part.

Well using your examples....most of those devices (appletv, roku, blu ray, etc) have gotten rid of their additional audio output and are now HDMI only as well.  TV's are really the only ones keeping them and they are forced to for all of the people simply using powered sound bars for better TV audio.  I'm with you though, a simple adapter is an easy fix, especially for you as an end user.  It gets a little crappier for us dealers as those things fail or need to be rebooted constantly after some time.  We refuse to put them in, luckily with a little customer education and setting expectations we rarely have a hard time spec'ing the correct C4 controller vs adapter workarounds.  

3 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

Well using your examples....most of those devices (appletv, roku, blu ray, etc) have gotten rid of their additional audio output and are now HDMI only as well.  TV's are really the only ones keeping them and they are forced to for all of the people simply using powered sound bars for better TV audio.  I'm with you though, a simple adapter is an easy fix, especially for you as an end user.  It gets a little crappier for us dealers as those things fail or need to be rebooted constantly after some time.  We refuse to put them in, luckily with a little customer education and setting expectations we rarely have a hard time spec'ing the correct C4 controller vs adapter workarounds.  

But the AppleTV, Roku, etc are rarely used as part of a whole-home audio distribution system.  Using HDMI for audio for music has drawbacks and in Composer it even has a warning about using HDMI if you have multi-zone audio.  There is a $500 price diff when going from an EA-1 to an EA-3.  That's a lot to pay for a proper audio output.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.