C4 Forums | Control4

Q motion shade simply stopped

Not even 6 month old Q motion shade is stuck in down position.

It shows up in the Control4 app and also on Composer Home edition in the up position on the icon, but it really is down.

I refreshed the navigators via Home Edition but that didn’t work.

Should I power down the EA3 Control4 module?

any other suggestions?

Thank you 

Battery operated or hard wired ?

QMotion shades tend to be a bit finicky with Zigbee.  If the batteries are ok, it has probably just dropped off the mesh.   Needs to be reidentified, using a tug command to get it to jog.  Takes a minute or two, but it needs a dealer with Pro, and it’s a pain the ass.

5 minutes ago, antneed said:

Thanks no battery they are hard wired.

I tugged on the shade and got it to go up, so now I need dealer to get them back online?

If all you did was tug them once, you should not have to re-identify the shades to C4. Qmotion can be sensitive and for this reason I have my shades powered via a UPS to ensure they do not power cycle unless I want them to. If I was you, I would power cycle C4 and the Qmotions and see if this helps. If it does not, call your dealer. 

24 minutes ago, C4 User said:

If all you did was tug them once, you should not have to re-identify the shades to C4. Qmotion can be sensitive and for this reason I have my shades powered via a UPS to ensure they do not power cycle unless I want them to. If I was you, I would power cycle C4 and the Qmotions and see if this helps. If it does not, call your dealer. 

Power cycle C4 by simply turning off and rebooting the controller?

Test it with C4 again. If working I wouldn't cycle anything.

In my experience, Qmotion can reboot faster than Control4. And will give up trying to connect as the mesh hasn't restarted yet. Then a tug or reboot the Qmotion power supply will wake them back up and they'll reconnect. The couple projects we did, we had to add outlet power controls and timer delay a cycle when Control4 reboots.

If you need to then try. You can download the tug commands from the Qmotion website. Just be careful to not reset or remove from the zigbee network or you will need your dealer to reconnect. For what it is worth, I have had Qmotion shades for many years in multiple houses. With consistent power they have been very reliable, but if power cycles on the shades they do not reliably recover. I am told this has been resolved in the latest firmware but I do not know for sure. AFAIK, the Qmotion motor firmware is not remotely upgradable. Many years ago, I put my Qmotions on a UPS to ensure reliable power and they have been trouble free since.

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

If you need to then try. You can download the tug commands from the Qmotion website. Just be careful to not reset or remove from the zigbee network or you will need your dealer to reconnect. For what it is worth, I have had Qmotion shades for many years in multiple houses. With consistent power they have been very reliable, but if power cycles on the shades they do not reliably recover. I am told this has been resolved in the latest firmware but I do not know for sure. AFAIK, the Qmotion motor firmware is not remotely upgradable. Many years ago, I put my Qmotions on a UPS to ensure reliable power and they have been trouble free since.

I thought mine were on UPS , but not sure, I’ll have to ask my dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.