C4 Forums | Control4

Network Failover

nxr

Hello, I am trying to sort out a way to have cellular backup to my broadband connection. I have an araknis two wan port router but can’t seem to find a cellular modem to attach to it. I previously had a NETGEAR LTE one but it was very unrealiable. Also, does anyone know whether the USB port on router is active such that I could use a USB network card. 

I have asked multiple times about the USB port. Last I herd it was not active. I use Cradle points with outdoor antennas for fail overs. One thing I have noticed with the Dual WAN is in order to get it to switch back to the primary WAN1 after a fail over the router will need rebooted. A settings update where you get the 30sec pop up may cause WAN1 to go back active as well but don't quote me on that.

I’m not sure if this will be helpful since you're using different equipment but maybe the general concept will work.  I use UniFi router and have a cable modem primary and satellite for backup (since cellular towers fail in extended blackout). The UniFi router has two wan ports and handles failover back and forth perfectly (unlike a tp link I used before). The wan2 port connects to the satellite modem/router which is set to a fixed ip for the UniFi router. I can double check that setting if helpful but I think I’m remembering correctly.  Could swap the satellite with the cellular modem/router in your scenario maybe?

4 hours ago, nxr said:

Hello, I am trying to sort out a way to have cellular backup to my broadband connection. I have an araknis two wan port router but can’t seem to find a cellular modem to attach to it. I previously had a NETGEAR LTE one but it was very unrealiable. Also, does anyone know whether the USB port on router is active such that I could use a USB network card. 

If you switch to Unifi, you would have a router that was easy to configure in a failover mode as @Dueport mentioned above plus Unifi sells there own LTE backup modem that can used for cellular backup...   Probably would have both for less than the price you paid for your Araknis setup.  Don't think your araknis gear gives that type of flexibility but maybe it does.

58 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Araknis 310 and UDM Pro both priced right around the $400 mark fwiw. 

Ok,  thanks for correction.   Does it offer dual wan with failover?

FYI,  speed is max at 300Mbps per website so that is probably more of a comp to the USG Gateway at $110 speed wise.  Both have dual WAN with failover.

3 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Ok,  thanks for correction.   Does it offer dual wan with failover?

FYI,  speed is max at 300Mbps per website so that is probably more of a comp to the USG Gateway at $110 speed wise.  Both have dual WAN with failover.

Please explain. "speed is max at 300mbps per website" 

Does the Araknis offer dual wan with fail over? Isn't that the whole point of this thread? OP ie asking what is a good LTE modem to use for is failover config...? 

I have a pile of USG routers in my office if anyone wants a good deal on one. I use both Araknis and Unifi and have had to change out (upgrade) several USG for a variety of different issues. Havent had a single Araknis have an issue. 

Probably because i don't know what I'm doing, havent been through unifi training!? 

Other Unifi networks I've installed have no issues at all... You just never know when you're gonna get a hardware failure i suppose. 

15 hours ago, nxr said:

Many thanks. Given I have the Araknis router already and Unifi LTE modem wont work with it, any suggestions of what might 

What issues did you have with the Netgear? Which model? 

13 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Does the Araknis offer dual wan with fail over? Isn't that the whole point of this thread? OP ie asking what is a good LTE modem to use for is failover config...? 

I have a pile of USG routers in my office if anyone wants a good deal on one. I use both Araknis and Unifi and have had to change out (upgrade) several USG for a variety of different issues. Havent had a single Araknis have an issue.

Probably because i don't know what I'm doing, havent been through unifi training!? 

Other Unifi networks I've installed have no issues at all... You just never know when you're gonna get a hardware failure i suppose. 

Possibly, but I agree you never know when you can get bad hardware. The USG has always been problematic IMO and iv never liked the Unifi software sitting on the router CPU, I use edge routers when I do but the UDM and UDMP are pretty hardcore hardware… also not crazy about a lot of their cloud requirements now. 

16 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Sorry, their site said speed test results through OVRC was capped at 300...  Seems like the router can do full gig speeds but not sure its throughput capability with full firewall enabled.    Some entry routers loose throughput (USG included) with full firewall features enabled.   As another mentioned, I think the UDM Pro is a step up in feature set and capability than the 310 as a comp.

Yes agree but some routers with dual WAN capability do not have the ability in the router OS to enable Failover WAN easily (or maybe at all) so was asking the question.    I mean automatic WAN failover not the user redirects direct to a secondary WAN.   I have a Mikrotik router that has dual WAN but requires a MIT PHD to code the failover to work in the Router OS.   Unifi is pretty simple with a menu selection.

My first router with Unifi was a USG which I had for 3-4 years with no issues,  that same USG is at friends house for a year with no issues.   You probably have more deployments to pull your opinion from but my experience has been solid.    Lots of comments on USG reliability here so I'm sure valid but then Araknis as had comments as well.   

16 hours ago, nxr said:

Many thanks. Given I have the Araknis router already and Unifi LTE modem wont work with it, any suggestions of what might 

Check pricing on Cradlepoint... It's not cheap and more of an enterprise solution.   For the price of one of their modems,  you could change your entire system to Unifi and pay monthly fees for a year on their LTE modem :)   Point taken though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.