C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad Button Not Clicking

Just installed engraved buttons on all keypads.  Out of many buttons a couple we have noticed don't "click" when you press the button.  They will still fire when pressed but you don't get the physical feedback of the click when pressing so you're not sure if you pressed it properly.  I believe the issue is limited to the top button (I have identified 1 keypad dimmer, and one keypad with this issue) - with the keypads in a 5 button with up/down configuration.  My question is whether this is a known issue or if I've somehow installed these incorrectly?  Is there anything I can do to get the button to click?

I have the same issue with a new (newer at this point - over a year installed) keypad I installed. To troubleshoot, I installed the blank keys and they “clicked” appropriately.  So I think it’s the length of the post on the engraved keys that actuates the switch. Mine has gotten better over time (middle buttons now “click”), but the top button still doesn’t “click”.  Like yours, it does still work. Hopefully someone on here has a solution!  Thanks for posting. 

14 hours ago, cdcllc said:

I have the same issue with a new (newer at this point - over a year installed) keypad I installed. To troubleshoot, I installed the blank keys and they “clicked” appropriately.  So I think it’s the length of the post on the engraved keys that actuates the switch. Mine has gotten better over time (middle buttons now “click”), but the top button still doesn’t “click”.  Like yours, it does still work. Hopefully someone on here has a solution!  Thanks for posting. 

Thank you @cdcllc good to know I'm not the only one - I'll try swapping with a non-engraved and see if that makes a difference to rule out other aspects

11 hours ago, RAV said:

It's usually the lower button, caused by a pinch point with the screw to the side of the button.

Thanks @RAV I'll examine of pinch points

10 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’ve had a number of such issues and managed to fix most by loosening the screws holding the faceplate in place and / or bending the legs slightly (not recommended).

good to know @South Africa C4 user - appreciate it.  The faceplate may be part of the problem that's a good point.  When you say you bent the legs slightly do you mean the little projections off the sides going back with the hole that clicks over the bump and serves as the axis for the button on the keypad? 

Will report back once I've had a chance to test some of these idea - appreciate everyone's suggestions.

4 hours ago, Dueport said:

good to know @South Africa C4 user - appreciate it.  The faceplate may be part of the problem that's a good point.  When you say you bent the legs slightly do you mean the little projections off the sides going back with the hole that clicks over the bump and serves as the axis for the button on the keypad? 

Yes, that is what I mean.  Although to be honest, I’ve had more success with loosening the various screws holding the faceplate (which are often over tightened and thus warp the plastic ever so slightly.

• 6 months later...

Hate hate HATE bumping this old thread, but I'm having this same issue with just some of my buttons that I just got yesterday. All my keypads are top button with height of two, three single-height buttons, then volume buttons (see pic without volume buttons). 

• On one keypad, all the buttons click.
  • On one of the keypads, the top button and bottom button doesn't click.
  • On one keypad, just the top button doesn't click.

If I swap the engraved buttons out and put the blank ones back in, they all click without issue. 

Any ideas? Help? 

image.thumb.jpeg.cded1787a3f4de79da37dfb30bea82b3.jpeg

16 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

The little legs on the right and left of the button are probably out of line and need minor adjustment…

Meaning what? I need to bend them in/out slightly? 

Took apart the engraved button and removed the diffuser and then placed back on the keypad: no issues. Tried the diffuser in the plain button: no click. Appears we have some issues with tolerance in the diffuser being added to these engraved buttons. 

On 1/3/2023 at 8:50 PM, tmj4 said:

Took apart the engraved button and removed the diffuser and then placed back on the keypad: no issues. Tried the diffuser in the plain button: no click. Appears we have some issues with tolerance in the diffuser being added to these engraved buttons. 

Interesting!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.