C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Echo Show Display

1 hour ago, Bramuchachos said:

Good day,

I am new to control4 and just got my system installed. 

I would like to use the Amazon Echo Show 8  as a kitchen display, does the Control4 App work on the Echo Show 8 and would I be able to use get intercom on it?

Best regards,

As stated that is a limitation of Echo Show, they don't run apps like a Fire Tablet. There is a way to get a Fire Tablet to do this but not Echo Show.

I have Google nest screens.. I regret them. 

In practice, they've become an extremely expensive kitchen Timer, and alarm clock...

You're much better off with a T4, and a cheap echo for voice. None of these 3rd party systems are even remotely ready for proper home automation (its a suckfest even if you load the lights and such directly into them using their dedicated drivers).

39 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

I have Google nest screens.. I regret them. 

In practice, they've become an extremely expensive kitchen Timer, and alarm clock...

You're much better off with a T4, and a cheap echo for voice. None of these 3rd party systems are even remotely ready for proper home automation (its a suckfest even if you load the lights and such directly into them using their dedicated drivers).

LOL wrong. 

10 hours ago, Bramuchachos said:

Thank you all for the feedback.

Will continue with more Echo dots.

Would have been nice to have one kitchen display for the wife to use for cooking and home automation.

You can still use them for automation but only to say a command and have it do that command. Can make lighting scenes like cooking, breakfast,  dinner etc.

20 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

You can still use them for automation but only to say a command and have it do that command. Can make lighting scenes like cooking, breakfast,  dinner etc.

Was hoping the intercom would work and I can use it for the different member of the family call each other when in the house.

On 8/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

And, to be honest, the experience with a T4 is much better than the experience with a fire tablet.  Although I do realise there is a price difference.

Slight price difference.  Can't you buy about ten Echo Show 8s for the price of an 8" C4 touchscreen?

On 8/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, Bramuchachos said:

Was hoping the intercom would work and I can use it for the different member of the family call each other when in the house.

You could get echo dots for the price of 1 TS and use those for intercom for voice only. As far as true intercom/doorbell won't work as described. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.