C4 Forums | Control4

Changing Default Room

South Africa C4 user

I was just thinking now how cool it would be to be able to programmatically change the default room.

I would love to create a landing for my maintenance staff while I am not at my holiday house.  Essentially, I would have key custom buttons that help the, (all lights off, send a message to them advising what windows / doors are open, open / close garages etc.).  

I could achieve this by manually changing the default room when I go on holiday and leave to return home but programming it would be so much more cool!

On 10/19/2022 at 9:05 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

I was just thinking now how cool it would be to be able to programmatically change the default room.

I would love to create a landing for my maintenance staff while I am not at my holiday house.  Essentially, I would have key custom buttons that help the, (all lights off, send a message to them advising what windows / doors are open, open / close garages etc.).  

I could achieve this by manually changing the default room when I go on holiday and leave to return home but programming it would be so much more cool!

Totally off-topic, @South Africa C4 user, but how do you send a message with a complete list of all open windows/doors?  I am having a hard time seeing how to do that without a ton of code.  What is your secret?

16 hours ago, DLite said:

Totally off-topic, @South Africa C4 user, but how do you send a message with a complete list of all open windows/doors?  I am having a hard time seeing how to do that without a ton of code.  What is your secret?

At 6pm every evening and on press of a given button,  I send a push notification which gives a summary and an email which gives summary and detail.

The summary is:

External doors open : True / False

Internal doors open : True / False

Windows open : True / False

Gates open : True / False

Garages open : True / False

The detail goes something like:

External doors:

Front door ope : true / false

dining room door open : true / false

Etc.

No code necessary but one has to set up an email and a push notification. With the text and the variables.

I use the Domosapiens Security Enhancements driver to create security groups (and thus see if external doors are open etc.).

I also count how often each door / window / motion sensor etc. is opened in a day.  This takes a couple of lines of code per sensor but is useful for seeing whether the maintenance / domestic staff are actually working when we are not there.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Thanks both… a pity the Touchscreen driver is T3 only… hopefully someone will update this to be T4 also at some stage as that is really neat!

I like the look of the wallpaper driver!

Yeah that’s cool as well, I also like the refresh navigator’s app, u just do it from any touch screen (as per your programming) very handy driver 😀 there is also the new driver that locks specific actions, I don’t like the interface but it’s something that should be released by C4 in the upcoming releases!

On 11/5/2022 at 4:22 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

Thanks both… a pity the Touchscreen driver is T3 only… hopefully someone will update this to be T4 also at some stage as that is really neat!

I like the look of the wallpaper driver!

I don't think it will ever support T4, the code behind this is not available on T4's (Control4 removed it I believe, as it doesn't respond to the same code).. I tested out with a few T4 displays and could not get it to do the same action, but I will look into it again.

12 hours ago, Leighm0 said:

I don't think it will ever support T4, the code behind this is not available on T4's (Control4 removed it I believe, as it doesn't respond to the same code).. I tested out with a few T4 displays and could not get it to do the same action, but I will look into it again.

What would also be neat is if you could lock it to the room you programatically flip to - in other words when going to the room also set favourites to no rooms and then revert to saved favourite rooms with another command 🙈

6 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

What would also be neat is if you could lock it to the room you programatically flip to - in other words when going to the room also set favourites to no rooms and then revert to saved favourite rooms with another command 🙈

I don't have any T4's here to test it on, so its going to be slow trying to work it out..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.