C4 Forums | Control4

New Matter smarthome standard

Zbee

I just learned about Matter, the new protocol launched in October by the Connectivity Standard Alliance (formerly the Zigbee Alliance) and backed by 190 companies including majors such as Apple, Amazon and Google. Does anyone know if C4 will participate/play with Matter?

31 minutes ago, Zbee said:

I just learned about Matter, the new protocol launched in October by the Connectivity Standard Alliance (formerly the Zigbee Alliance) and backed by 190 companies including majors such as Apple, Amazon and Google. Does anyone know if C4 will participate/play with Matter?

If it Matters, they'll have to.
There have been so many "new standards" over the years, I suspect many will take a wait and see approach, if this one's fully baked and fully backed.

Even if Control4 hasn't planned for it built in, it's an open enough standard that a third party driver will certainly be developed.

The scare with Matter, is the 'bulb guys' will only produce Matter enabled devices, and we'll see over time a reduction in devices for platforms like zwave.
Not so concerned with Control4 Zigbee as there are only 3 companies building products now anyways, it's already a niche market. (Nyce, Axxess and Control4)

Much like for 'regular 'ZigBee' you'll need a hub, it's likely going to be an integration in that route - be it 3rd part (hub or driver) or if C4 creates there own 'universal' one - or down the road built into controllers.

But as per above - there have been soooo many 'gold standards that everyone will want to follow' the last 15 years I'll take it serious once it's actually starting to roll out.

• 9 months later...
25 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Wow, what a surprise /sarcasm

That said 'Smart Home Giant Vivint'?

I would imagine by giant they are meaning lots of installations. Same could be said for ADT probably.

While not much is going on with Matter, it seems Zigbee is getting more and more support. I believe Control4 is even going to have support for Zigbee Pro soon (i think that is why they changed systems to not have more than 1 ZAP server).

19 hours ago, therockhr said:

I would imagine by giant they are meaning lots of installations. Same could be said for ADT probably

ADT, Telus here in canada, sure and yes I get that they're not talking about full scope systems. Vivint is PEANUTS compared to (using there full north american subscriber base) just Telus alone in Canada (1/10 of systems Telus has here comparing Vivint's full subscription base as far as number I can find in a quick search - Telus took over ADT here) - that's why I was chuckling on the 'giant' part.

On 9/25/2023 at 3:51 PM, therockhr said:

While not much is going on with Matter, it seems Zigbee is getting more and more support. I believe Control4 is even going to have support for Zigbee Pro soon (i think that is why they changed systems to not have more than 1 ZAP server).

Control4 has been ZBpro maybe im not understanding what you mean… 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.