C4 Forums | Control4

Halo Custom Button Programming

ejn1

Hi all,  I'm playing around with the new Halo remote and cant seem to figure out how to program the 3 custom buttons on the top of the remote.   I see the 3 buttons on the programming tab and i can program things to turn on but then the remote does not control the app like when using the "Watch" command.   I'm trying to access my DirectTV, Netflix and Hulu mini apps on my Roku via the 3 buttons.   Thanks!

Turning on a device does not select it in the room.

For example, if you want your custom button to start up the Roku in your room that's connected to your TV, if you just send 'power on' commands to the TV and Roku, the Control4 system doesn't have those devices as being the controlled device and volume endpoint in the room.

What you really want to do is to use a room command (choose your room in programming commands), and use the 'Select a Video Device' command, and choose the Roku (or the appropriate mini apps).

This will cause the Control4 system to turn on all the appropriate devices, and to set the AV path to the correct values so that the device can be controlled in your room as if you had chosen it on the UI.

RyanE

9 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Turning on a device does not select it in the room.

For example, if you want your custom button to start up the Roku in your room that's connected to your TV, if you just send 'power on' commands to the TV and Roku, the Control4 system doesn't have those devices as being the controlled device and volume endpoint in the room.

What you really want to do is to use a room command (choose your room in programming commands), and use the 'Select a Video Device' command, and choose the Roku (or the appropriate mini apps).

This will cause the Control4 system to turn on all the appropriate devices, and to set the AV path to the correct values so that the device can be controlled in your room as if you had chosen it on the UI.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan.   I'm getting closer and had just figured out above :)  but when the mini app launches eg netflix, the remote will not control the app.  it will control the room, eg av receiver volume up and down but not the app itself.   Anything more to suggest for this bit?

8 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks Ryan.   I'm getting closer and had just figured out above :)  but when the mini app launches eg netflix, the remote will not control the app.  it will control the room, eg av receiver volume up and down but not the app itself.   Anything more to suggest for this bit?

I got it to work Ryan.   I was selecting the Roku App Switcher as the video source for the room and then in a second line, launching the App for Netflix and this would not control the app.  When i used instead, Select "netflix" as the video source in the room, it worked.  thanks again!

24 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I got it to work Ryan.   I was selecting the Roku App Switcher as the video source for the room and then in a second line, launching the App for Netflix and this would not control the app.  When i used instead, Select "netflix" as the video source in the room, it worked.  thanks again!

Yeah, it throws a lot of those new to the platform that you don't have to do multiple things to start a video source (including mini apps), just one.

Glad you got it working.

RyanE

any chance we are going to see these custom buttons have labels by room?  Seems like its going to cause a lot of confusion if you actually name these buttons (for the default room), then the user changes rooms and the default room button labels still show up on the screen even when the programming for those buttons doesn't match what the labels are...

35 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

any chance we are going to see these custom buttons have labels by room?  Seems like its going to cause a lot of confusion if you actually name these buttons (for the default room), then the user changes rooms and the default room button labels still show up on the screen even when the programming for those buttons doesn't match what the labels are...

easily solved by buying a remote for each room :)

12 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Not having a Halo, I have no idea what it can / cannot do.  But if this is too difficult (time consuming based on opportunity cost etc.) for c4 to add then having the ability to dynamically change the label via programming would be as effective (arguably more effective although more hassle for simple setups).

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Not having a Halo, I have no idea what it can / cannot do.  But if this is too difficult (time consuming based on opportunity cost etc.) for c4 to add then having the ability to dynamically change the label via programming would be as effective (arguably more effective although more hassle for simple setups).

I think there are a lot of other things (comfort, security, releasing Halo Touch, bugfixes, etc.) that need to be added before thinking about something along these lines.

RyanE

On my old SR-260, I had the 1, 2, and 3 dot buttons skip ahead 1, 2, and 3 minutes while watching Dish. Can I do this with the Halo?

I was hoping I could dynamically change it by pressing the Red or Green button. I'd like the equivalent of the 1 dot button to skip ahead either 20 seconds (Dish forward 30 sec/Dish back 10 second combo) or skip ahead 1 minute (Dish skip 30 x 2). Green button press changes to 20 second, Red button press changes it back to 1 minute skip ahead.

Possible?

This thread got me thinking, since Halo's current room ID is accessible in programming, is there a way (programmatically) to have Halo switch to a source in the then-current room without having to go through a bunch of IF statements.   In other words, it seems easy to say If Custom Button 3 is pressed, then IF current Room ID is Living Room's ID, set Room Living Room source to BLAH."  But can "Living Room" be replaced by a the Halo devices variable for Current Room ID?

Use case would be for video or audio sources on a matrix.  Since they are available in all rooms, it might be handy to have some shortcuts stick with Halo as it travels from room to room.

Like I said, you could do this with a bunch of conditionals, but kind of tedious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.