C4 Forums | Control4

Kindles stopped working - c4 crashes.

Haveitall

Anyone else lose their kindle capability? I have two kindles I use as wall mounted touchpads. They both stopped working a couple months(?) ago. Over the years, one or the other has had trouble for a couple weeks, but never both failing permanently. 

The C4 app launches then immediately crashes. Same on both units. 

On 2/26/2023 at 3:32 AM, Haveitall said:

Anyone else lose their kindle capability? I have two kindles I use as wall mounted touchpads. They both stopped working a couple months(?) ago. Over the years, one or the other has had trouble for a couple weeks, but never both failing permanently. 

The C4 app launches then immediately crashes. Same on both units. 

What is the Android version on these?

Thanks for the recommendations.  I removed the app, restarted, and re-loaded, that didn't do the trick.  

Two different Fires, the newer model is Fire 7, OS 7.3.2.7.  C4 App OS2.

I don't think it is the Fire, since this is two different models that are both doing the same thing.  I'm stumped.  

The weirdest part is the app crashes back to the kindle home screen when it tries to load the C4 circular menu.  But when I press the 'show apps' button on the kindle I can see the blank C4  app (i.e. missing the menu items).  So the app is still running, but want stay in the foreground or load the menu items.

Never used OS2 app on an Android, but I’d first remove, stop and uninstall everything on this Kindle and dedicate it only to the OS2 app, make sure the OS2 app is the latest release, u may get the APK and sideload it.

You did not mention the Android version but it’s 5.1!

Also check compatibility of OS2 release to your android ver, you may want to use an earlier OS2 release to work.

Time to upgrade to OS3 as well 😄

• 2 weeks later...

I had to re-install C4 on several devices recently when IP addresses had to be changed. C4 OS2 works fine on TV, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra phone, and Samsung Galaxy tablet. However, when re-installing on my Kindle Fire (<1 year old), opening the app opens and then shuts down C4 in about a second. Re-installing the app didn't do anything. Is it no longer compatible with Kindle Fire?

On 3/14/2023 at 8:18 PM, Dan Klein said:

I had to re-install C4 on several devices recently when IP addresses had to be changed. C4 OS2 works fine on TV, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra phone, and Samsung Galaxy tablet. However, when re-installing on my Kindle Fire (<1 year old), opening the app opens and then shuts down C4 in about a second. Re-installing the app didn't do anything. Is it no longer compatible with Kindle Fire?

Dan - same problem.  Clearly someone broke something.  That drives me nuts with C4.  Things work for a year or two, but never forever.

The kindles are fine - certainly not overloaded or anything (one of them is pretty new).   Either the new OS version broke C4, or the C4 app update broke itself.  

1 hour ago, Haveitall said:

Dan - same problem.  Clearly someone broke something.  That drives me nuts with C4.  Things work for a year or two, but never forever.

The kindles are fine - certainly not overloaded or anything (one of them is pretty new).   Either the new OS version broke C4, or the C4 app update broke itself.  

Honestly, I don't think you can blame c4 for this. Every other android device were seemingly still working.

No blame explicit or implied....

But it still drives me nuts.  I spent a couple hours today un-screwing random things that don't work anymore.  Comes with the territory of overly complicated integration of random stuff.  Echo stopped working (it was an old bespoke driver before C4 had a driver), IFTTT routine stops working (weather no longer provided, teams no longer pushing scores...), one of the outlet dimmer hw fails, kindle pushed an update, now C4 pushed an update, and....  

The more you do with the system, the more often it breaks.  I'm sure in the next year or so AI will fix everything automatically!

(Though I just reread your post... I mean, C4 definitely had a bug, and definitely fixed it.  I had reloaded everything multiple times.  Couple weeks go by and it magically fixed itself.  Pretty much the only thing that could have happened was C4 or kindle pushing an update.)

On 3/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, Haveitall said:

I mean, C4 definitely had a bug, and definitely fixed it.  I had reloaded everything multiple times.  Couple weeks go by and it magically fixed itself.  Pretty much the only thing that could have happened was C4 or kindle pushing an update.)

Except that you said it was Control4's OS2 app.  Control4 does not build the OS2 app anymore.  As far as I know, it hasn't had a release in years.

To me (and the fact of no reports from non-kindle users), it's more likely an indication that it was 2 Android updates (one to break it, one to fix it) on the Kindle's side of things.

RyanE

But they are:

Android Control4, os 2 -

Update
Mar 20, 2023

the iOS version is being updated too. That one is a month old. 

incidentally, I would love to jump to OS 3, but not until they fix the connection lag for the iOS app. I use that all the time and I’m not waiting 30 seconds for it to connect. 

8 minutes ago, Haveitall said:

Hmmm…. Im listening….🤔

Do I hear a second?

(Not that I don’t trust you, but ymmv and all…)

I’ll happily second Mitch’s comment.  Even for massive systems (in strange foreign locations) the app fully loads within seconds.  Both my systems would qualify as massive (I think) and the app is spectacular. I have (almost) forgotten the bad old days of the app being slow…

OS3 is infinitely better than OS2 (and I enjoyed OS 2 at the time).

2 hours ago, Haveitall said:

Version

Update
Mar 20, 2023

Well, I'm glad to be wrong, and glad someone is still building OS 2.x apps.

I would still guess that the 'bug' was having to update for a change in a newer version of Android, not that Control4 released a new OS 2.0 version then had to release a fixed version, since there's no new features being added to the OS 2 app...

RyanE

4 hours ago, Haveitall said:

Hmmm…. Im listening….🤔

Do I hear a second?

(Not that I don’t trust you, but ymmv and all…)

Incridebly fatser than OS2 for sure, Its even faster than HomeKit now, Apple scrwed Home App and C4 OS3 app is much faster! You won't regret it, some features like Color Wheel is a must to have if you have a lot of Color LED Lights, makes ur life easier, updated UI also top notch compared to OS2.

I concur with your assessment. Probably android update broke C4. 

I disagree with your “surprise” that they still support OS2. You can’t build something into a house that just stops working. If you want people to make that investment you MUST support it as long as possible. Like, measured in decades. That’s like selling cars that only go 40k miles. A few bucks of support make people willing to pay big bucks because they know it will last. 

I have a color wheel in os2! (But still… I’ll work on getting it updated.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.