C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Continues Playing After Room Shut Off

ajd123

In my family room we have a Denon stereo receiver, Sony TV and Rogers (xFinity) box.  When the TV is turned off (via the "off button" on the T260 remote, or if the entire room is turned off) everything turns off, but the Audio for the source being watched continues to come out of the stereo speakers..

What might be causing this?  Any suggestions on Control4 programming to look at or specific settings with the stereo and/or HDMI ARC settings for the TV or Receiver?

I'm understanding fully well.  It's you who does not comprehend what's happening.

From a Denon manual:

HDMI PassThrough

Selects how this unit will transmit HDMI signals to the HDMI output in standby power mode.

On
(De­fault):

Trans­mits the se­lected HDMI input through the AV re­ceiver’s HDMI out­put when this unit is in standby power mode.

Off:

No HDMI sig­nals are trans­mit­ted through this unit’s HDMI out­put in standby power mode.

16 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

I'm understanding fully well.  It's you who does not comprehend what's happening.

From a Denon manual:

HDMI PassThrough

Selects how this unit will transmit HDMI signals to the HDMI output in standby power mode.

On
(De­fault):

Trans­mits the se­lected HDMI input through the AV re­ceiver’s HDMI out­put when this unit is in standby power mode.

Off:

No HDMI sig­nals are trans­mit­ted through this unit’s HDMI out­put in standby power mode.

this setting is competely diff. It lets the audio/video pass to the TV(not to the stereo speakers). The rec function stops but AV is passed while off..

His issues is the receivers not turning off and didnt mention TV staying on

17 hours ago, ajd123 said:

In my family room we have a Denon stereo receiver, Sony TV and Rogers (xFinity) box.  When the TV is turned off (via the "off button" on the T260 remote, or if the entire room is turned off) everything turns off, but the Audio for the source being watched continues to come out of the stereo speakers..

What might be causing this?  Any suggestions on Control4 programming to look at or specific settings with the stereo and/or HDMI ARC settings for the TV or Receiver?

Are u using the correct receiver driver? Is it added via SDDP or manual? If it’s the correct driver it should shut off your receiver, but u can also manually program it but it’s not a correct thing it’s a bit of workaround. When Room OFF send turn OFF command to your receiver, which I don’t thing will work cause u r not using the correct driver!

@ajd123 Quick questions

1) when you say the music continues to come out of the stereo speakers?  Are you referring to in-ceiling speakers?  What are those connected to?

2) Do you have a HDMI matrix connected to the AVR?

3) Do you have an audio matrix connected to the AVR?

4) Do you have "two rooms" like an "audio" room and and "TV" room in your interface?

It is very rare, but it is possible to confuse the pathing system if you interconnect a HDMI matrix to an audio matrix and have two rooms with duplicate endpoints.  I found the same thing happen in my personal system and had to separate the room bindings.

On 4/23/2023 at 11:59 AM, Jeff W said:

@ajd123 Quick questions

1) when you say the music continues to come out of the stereo speakers?  Are you referring to in-ceiling speakers?  What are those connected to?

2) Do you have a HDMI matrix connected to the AVR?

3) Do you have an audio matrix connected to the AVR?

4) Do you have "two rooms" like an "audio" room and and "TV" room in your interface?

It is very rare, but it is possible to confuse the pathing system if you interconnect a HDMI matrix to an audio matrix and have two rooms with duplicate endpoints.  I found the same thing happen in my personal system and had to separate the room bindings.

Hey Jeff, sorry for the slow reply was out of town.

1) Speakers are a combination of in ceiling for rear speakers, freestanding subwoofer, bookshelf speakers for front right / left and the TV's internal speaker for center channel.  The 5.1 setup is connected to the stereo receiver directly.  The stereo receiver is also connected to the audio matrix via

2) No HDMI matrix.

3) Yes I have an audio matrix connected to the AVR.

4) I do have "two rooms" setup for the family room.  1) Family Room: which runs the audio through the matrix.  This is used for all sources such as cable boxes, apple tv's and even for the TV's internal apps.  2) Family Room TV: which uses the TV's internal audio.  I never use the "Family Room TV" room, and think I am going to delete this room.

On 4/20/2023 at 3:37 PM, lippavisual said:

From a Denon manual:

HDMI PassThrough

On
(De­fault):

Off:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Just went into the settings and it will not let me turn off HDMI pass through (see attached picture).  Any suggestions?

IMG_2434.JPG

On 4/21/2023 at 1:16 AM, Amr said:

Are u using the correct receiver driver? Is it added via SDDP or manual? If it’s the correct driver it should shut off your receiver, but u can also manually program it but it’s not a correct thing it’s a bit of workaround. When Room OFF send turn OFF command to your receiver, which I don’t thing will work cause u r not using the correct driver!

I am not sure the driver being used.  How can I check?

1 hour ago, ajd123 said:

I am not sure the driver being used.  How can I check?

Go to the driver itself what it says in its tab?

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

Turn off HDMI/ARC and let Control4 turn off the receiver

Yes this is correct and it should be turned off for all equipment not only AVR’s, I have a quiet stable “life” turning off HDMI control!

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Go to the driver itself what it says in its tab?

Yes this is correct and it should be turned off for all equipment not only AVR’s, I have a quiet stable “life” turning off HDMI control!

Thanks.  I turned off the setting for HDMI/ARC on all devices.  Lets see if it does the trick.

I checked the driver for the AVR and the correct one is installed.

I noticed on my Sony AVR a setting for HDMI control (CEC).  Should this also be turned off?

On 4/27/2023 at 4:31 AM, ajd123 said:

Hey Jeff, sorry for the slow reply was out of town.

1) Speakers are a combination of in ceiling for rear speakers, freestanding subwoofer, bookshelf speakers for front right / left and the TV's internal speaker for center channel.  The 5.1 setup is connected to the stereo receiver directly.  The stereo receiver is also connected to the audio matrix via

2) No HDMI matrix.

3) Yes I have an audio matrix connected to the AVR.

4) I do have "two rooms" setup for the family room.  1) Family Room: which runs the audio through the matrix.  This is used for all sources such as cable boxes, apple tv's and even for the TV's internal apps.  2) Family Room TV: which uses the TV's internal audio.  I never use the "Family Room TV" room, and think I am going to delete this room.

@ajd123

The other forum members may be onto something with the CEC/HDMI control.  Test that out first.  

However, if it's something similar to my situation, it may be because the audio matrix is connected to the AVR and you have duplicate audio connections for your end points.

We would need to see the end points for both "two rooms"  ie the "Family Room" and "Family Room TV". 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.