C4 Forums | Control4

Is Custom Button the best choice?

I am working with a setup that has Lutron Keypads (HW8 & RR2) throughout the house

All of the lighting & shade scenes are already programed to these keypad buttons

I would like to simulate button presses on the C4 UI devices.  I used the Custom Buttons and they work fine but are not very attractive.

Are there any phantom keypads / buttons in C4 that I can use that look like the actual 6 button keypads with LED's?  On press they would run the needed bit of programing (id+Button #) but not control any actual loads

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 12:04 PM, msgreenf said:

BTW this driver doesn’t show the true status of a button so it’s deceiving and at the end it’s just a menu item to select instead of custom buttons menu, I will try to open a case with them to fix this as it’s really has no huge value and this would make Chowmain driver the only one that provides real feedback!

So the true feedback for me is important so I will try the Advanced Custom Button driver  

I am using the Homework’s Illumination (P5) driver. All of the switched and dimming lighting loads are working fine and I can emulate HW keypad presses with C4 custom button pushes.

My 2 issues are:

1) How do I get the current LED state of the Homeworks keypads?  It looks like you can set it but not sure if you can get the current state of the LED in this driver. I have a mix of homework and Ra2 lighting.  I need to know the status of the HW keypad Led to properly program the selection of the correct phantom button in Ra2

2) Is there a fan driver? The switch driver works but not as functional as the fan driver for Ra2 (25%, 50%, etc). Can I use the dimmer driver for a fan?

OK I'm going to take a step back here. Assuming you have the actual lutron lighting and shades etc in the system: C4 should already have it's own interface for lighting, it's own interface for blinds and more: what exactly are you trying to project a keypad on a screen for?

I ask because it sounds like to you're trying to integrate just the keypads to get control over the underlying devices: that is NOT what you should be doing, you should just integrate the actual devices those keypads control.

Yes all of the lighting and shades are in C4 and are individually working fine.  I already have all of the scenes for the individual rooms and for global scenes built into Lutron and they can be accessed by the Lutron keypads.  I am trying to project the keypads onto the C4 navigators so the scenes are easily accessed  in a familiar and attractive way.

I don't think I should replicate the scenes in C4 because:

1) The popcorn effect of as an example having over 100 lights and shades go on with an Entertain Scene

2) Lutron is already tracking if any light is on in a scene group and will light the LED in that case.  It toggles from there so if a LED is on the next buttons press turns off the scene or if the LED is off the next button press turns on the scene. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 10:29 AM, Amr said:

BTW this driver doesn’t show the true status of a button so it’s deceiving and at the end it’s just a menu item to select instead of custom buttons menu, I will try to open a case with them to fix this as it’s really has no huge value and this would make Chowmain driver the only one that provides real feedback!

I tried the Chowmain driver but they do not show up on the iPads or iPhones. 

I have the magic switch buttons working.  On magic switch button select it simulates the Lutron keypad button press & release and the switch simulates the LED.  I have programing looking for the Lutron scene to change and it updates the  magic button switch.

I do wish the magic switch button would select when pressed anywhere on the button like the toggle version does, not just the text area.  Also if I could left justify the text it would look more like Lutron keypads.  Ideally they would have a third button type available that has a status light instead of a switch. I sent them a note for feedback.

Any other ideas?

Well 4drivers looked at my request and has already updated the Magic Custom Buttons driver. 

I now have buttons that mimic the Lutron keypads for lighting and shades scenes.

I have a variable setup that has  the LED’s on the Magic Custom Buttons track the room status. It works great if I press the Lutron keypad or the Custom Button.

I will also use these for some global scenes and mode settings as well.

Give them a try if you need something similar in a project.

IMG_2371.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.