C4 Forums | Control4

C4-16AMP3-B vs. Triads

BY96

I have been reading through old threads but saw mixed opinions on the older CA-16AMP3-B. I was looking at the Triad options, which I know are the latest and greatest, but came across the older combined matrix/amp. Other than it being older, if I were able to get a new one, would there be any downside to it? Would it still fully integrate with the latest C4 OS? What would be the advantages of doing with a Triad matrix and amp for 4 to 5x the price? 

Also, does anyone know the differences between V1 and V2 of the Triad matrix? 

Thanks for any insight. 

I upgraded from the CA-16AMP to Triad to get HD sound quality.  I had the CA-16AMP installed for 2+ years and it worked great with great sound.  I've had the Triad matrix and amp installed for 4 years and it's been fantastic too.  Along with the Triads, I upgraded speakers in 3 rooms.  The sound from the Triad is excellent; I wish I would have started there - I would have saved some money!  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't unhappy with the CA-16AMP - I just wish I would have answered my dealer differently when he asked about what quality sound I wanted during the sales process!

Follow up question for anyone…

I have given up on the idea of the combined matrix/amp in favor of Triad. However, I guess I am not understanding something. If I plan to only use one source at a time, do I need a matrix? Can the C4 controller turn on/off certain zones with just the Triad amp? Or is the matrix needed for C4 control? I saw that the matrix had a LAN input, but not the amp.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. My initial thought was that the matrix was only needed if one was using multiple sources, but that is not the case. Even with one source, I would still need the matrix to manage 8 zones. 

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

well I wouldn't say that's completely true - if you have a CORE 3 for example, it has 3 audio outputs, each of which could be mapped to a specific room...so you'd have control of volume etc for up to 3 zones.

It IS true - because now your controller is essentially your matrix 😉

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Integration is flawless, sound is good for the price range.

I'm not touting them as anything special, but they're solid units that I'd just as easily put in as the old Control4 branded matrix amplifiers.

I don't need "amazing" sound, "good" is fine enough, as this is for background music mainly for my wife. The integration is the #1 factor for me. 

I like the two-in-one of the Resource and from what I have been told, the downsides of it compared to the Triads won't impact me (e.g., no digital inputs, no DSP via C4 app). (I can always use an external DAC and the web-based DSP is fine with me.) 

5 hours ago, BY96 said:

I don't need "amazing" sound, "good" is fine enough, as this is for background music mainly for my wife. The integration is the #1 factor for me. 

I like the two-in-one of the Resource and from what I have been told, the downsides of it compared to the Triads won't impact me (e.g., no digital inputs, no DSP via C4 app). (I can always use an external DAC and the web-based DSP is fine with me.) 

Then you'll find it works perfectly fine.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:13 PM, Cyknight said:

Then you'll find it works perfectly fine.

Interestingly, I just saw a video on YouTube where the person was saying nothing good about the Episode Response DSP Amps. He was showing some of the current and new C4 items on a rack at a trade show and made some critical remarks when he got to the Episode DSP amp. Hopefully, my experience is different than his!! 

You'll find youtube videos on every item in the world that are negative.

We have lots of them running by now and zero complaints, zero issues.

Yes, the same for the C4 original series that were matrix amps.

Yes we did see plenty of issues with the C4 branded power amps

Yes we've seen a bad batch Triad matrices/amps (though nothing since that batch).

🤷‍♂️

Again, I'm not claiming this is the amp of choice for intense audio listening: That's not what it's made for. If you're looking to fire speakers to have your outdoor speakers or indoor ceiling speakers for daily use music - it'll perform very well, at a not unreasonable price.

15 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

You'll find youtube videos on every item in the world that are negative.

We have lots of them running by now and zero complaints, zero issues.

Yes, the same for the C4 original series that were matrix amps.

Yes we did see plenty of issues with the C4 branded power amps

Yes we've seen a bad batch Triad matrices/amps (though nothing since that batch).

🤷‍♂️

Again, I'm not claiming this is the amp of choice for intense audio listening: That's not what it's made for. If you're looking to fire speakers to have your outdoor speakers or indoor ceiling speakers for daily use music - it'll perform very well, at a not unreasonable price.

Thanks for the reassurance. Just glad to know you have lots of them running out there without problems. I am moving from an ABUS system, so I am sure the audio quality has to be better than that, but for the background music we use the system, even the ABUS sounds fine. 

19 hours ago, BY96 said:

Thanks for the reassurance. Just glad to know you have lots of them running out there without problems. I am moving from an ABUS system, so I am sure the audio quality has to be better than that, but for the background music we use the system, even the ABUS sounds fine. 

I expect you'll love them

On 6/20/2023 at 12:38 AM, BY96 said:

Follow up question for anyone…

I have given up on the idea of the combined matrix/amp in favor of Triad. However, I guess I am not understanding something. If I plan to only use one source at a time, do I need a matrix? Can the C4 controller turn on/off certain zones with just the Triad amp? Or is the matrix needed for C4 control? I saw that the matrix had a LAN input, but not the amp.

I know I am a bit late on this, but why are you giving up on the older C4 matrix amps?  I have a bunch of the C4-16s.  They are still rock solid.  The next gen of C4 amps had a lot of problems but the older C4-16 and C4-8 were very solid and had the advantage of being matrix amps.  But one downside to the C4-16 is that it didn't have digital audio inputs.

I agree, the original amps are pretty good.  I still have my OG matrix amps, but I've never used them as matrix, since I also had a 16x16 matrix switch.

I did get rid of my original audio switch to put in a 16x16 Triad AMS, which is nice because it has a lot more controls and functionality than the original switch did.

RyanE

3 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I know I am a bit late on this, but why are you giving up on the older C4 matrix amps?  I have a bunch of the C4-16s.  They are still rock solid.  The next gen of C4 amps had a lot of problems but the older C4-16 and C4-8 were very solid and had the advantage of being matrix amps.  But one downside to the C4-16 is that it didn't have digital audio inputs.

I guess I just didn't want to invest in older technology. I did find a great deal on a new C4 matrix amp, but was persuaded by comments here to get something newer. I ended up getting a stellar deal on a brand new combined Episode Response matrix/amp, so I am sticking with the combined approach, but it is a current model. 

With the Episode Response, I get the DSP like with the Triads, though it is through the website GUI only, not the C4 app. But I don't expect to make many or frequent changes to the DSP settings. 

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

I agree, the original amps are pretty good.  I still have my OG matrix amps, but I've never used them as matrix, since I also had a 16x16 matrix switch.

I did get rid of my original audio switch to put in a 16x16 Triad AMS, which is nice because it has a lot more controls and functionality than the original switch did.

RyanE

Did the same thing myself - we have three of the OG matrix amps and a 24x24 Triad AMS and never had a problem - works like a charm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.