C4 Forums | Control4

Composer Home; Set room speaker to the value of another room speaker (e.g. as when using '+' icon with the media section of the C4 App).

UKmatC

Hi all,

Can anyone advise how I can program, via Composer Home edition, a room speaker to turn on & play the audio of another room (e.g. when you have existing audio playing and in the C4 app you click on the '+' icon to add another room)?

Given the limitations of my C4 audio matrix (4x4), I cannot simply program to add the individual sources to play in each room separately, and therefore need to replicate the '+' room/speaker option that we have within the C4 App.

What I have tried;

- Select the channel "Storybook Forest" in Bedroom 3 (media plays fine)

- Set Kitchen -> CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE to the value of Bedroom 3->CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE (this doesn't work. Kitchen speakers are not added/turned on).

I have asked my local dealer, but he doesn't know how to do this via Composer Home, and mentioned that he would have to add a 'join room' module (or something like that; I can't remember the exact name). I would have thought that this should be possible within Composer Home. 

Many thanks,

Mat.

I think the best way to do this is with the Media Scene Agent. You’ll need to create a media scene for each scenario (group of rooms, primary starting room) you want.

If your matrix doesn’t have enough ports and C4 sees these as 2 separate/independent sources, you’ll then need to create custom programming to manually switch the second room to the required physical input / source device. Not the media stream, but the source device.

Getting a bigger matrix will ultimately be a more consistent and flexible solution.

1 hour ago, UKmatC said:

- Set Kitchen -> CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE to the value of Bedroom 3->CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE (this doesn't work. Kitchen speakers are not added/turned on)

That should work unless bedroom 3 was set to a local only source that couldn’t be routed to the kitchen.

can you manually do that scenario?

Room Control driver per room would be the alternative.

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Lots of ways to do this but Room Control Driver is definitely the easiest.  Media Scenes (a a mentioned above) also works.  I would use direct selection of device as the last alternative as this won’t work for everything.

Best thing I did was getting the Room Control Drivers and deleting all Media Scenes. the Room Control Drive is 1000% better. 

17 hours ago, UKmatC said:

What I have tried;

- Set Kitchen -> CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE to the value of Bedroom 3->CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE (this doesn't work. Kitchen speakers are not added/turned on).

This doesn't work because there is no 'hard' source selected in your situation, but digital media instead. With the inclusion of all the streaming options in recent years, using 'current selected' really is more or less dead.

As others have mentioned, the room control driver(s) should be added for you. Dealer can do this -literally drop in the drivers (I would just ask to get this done for every room with audio or video in it)- and from there you can set everything from within composer HE

Many thanks, all. I appreciate the quick feedback. 

Media Scenes sounds like an available solution to me; however, I've pinged my rep and requested the Room Control drivers to be added to all rooms with audio, as this sounds like the best solution for me. 
Once up & running, I will report back with the (hopefully positive) results. 

Mat. 

On 10/10/2023 at 5:45 AM, UKmatC said:

Many thanks, all. I appreciate the quick feedback. 

Media Scenes sounds like an available solution to me; however, I've pinged my rep and requested the Room Control drivers to be added to all rooms with audio, as this sounds like the best solution for me. 
Once up & running, I will report back with the (hopefully positive) results. 

Mat. 

It's so easy, can do when + pushed if x is playing media add zone y. When volume x changes set volume y to volume x. I do this with kitchen speakers and Den TV.

Just to update all that the Room Control driver half worked. It still seemed to limit me to output to only x4 rooms (from x2 different sources), however, I am using this in conjunction with Hub -> Digital Media -> Add Rooms (e.g. "Add Rooms 'Kitchen, Ensuite, Dressing Room' to Bedroom 3 session"). That seems to let me add as many rooms as I want. Thanks, all!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.