C4 Forums | Control4

Presence/Identity Detection

neil12011

Are there any latest greatest innovations with identity detection within a room, not just general occupancy?  I tried the RoomMe hardware a while back and it was awful.  Looking for a solution to program off a specific person entering a room or area.

Thanks!

Neil

I keep expecting Apple to implement this on HomeKit, assuming you have an AppleTV and/or HomePod in the rooms you want to track (and people have iPhone and/or Apple Watch with them).  I'd then use a Control4/Homekit bridge driver to expose this info to C4.  This has got to be on Apple's roadmap.

If you find something deployable out-of-the-box now, please let us know.

If an Apple-centric client, I know you can use Shortcuts to kick off actions based on connecting/disconnecting to a selected Bluetooth device.   It could be anything.  So you could buy a cheap bluetooth device for each person you want to track entering the target room, pair it to the phone and then, when you walk into area, it would connect and then you could program off this connection event.  For example, you could then toggle a dummy device in HomeKit that was synced to C4 via HomeKit bridge driver and do your further programming on C4 side.  Not elegant (to say the least), but depending on how many rooms/people you want to track, you could, in theory, make your magic happen this way.  Obviously not viable to track 20 people and 20 rooms.  But 2-3 people and 2-3 rooms (not within bluetooth range of each other), then maybe doable?

Apple’s iBeacon platform has been available to enterprise clients for this exact reason. MLB stadiums use them for some cool interactions. Launched in 2013 a full year before HomeKit, iBeacons never made it to the consumer space and were never integrated into HomeKit.

I would suspect that Apple is working on a next gen version at least from an R&D perspective, but who knows if it’ll make it to market.

Aqara’s new millimeter wave radar presence detector is pretty awesome, super accurate pin-point presence detection, at least on paper. Integrates into HomeKit wihh the one of their hubs. You can learn more about it here:

https://www.macrumors.com/review/aqara-presence-sensor-fp2/

The developer documentation provides details on how iBeacons can also provide information on far away the user is:

While a beacon is in range of a user’s device, apps can also monitor for the relative distance to the beacon.

You can use the information advertised by beacons to enhance the user’s experience of a particular location. For example, a museum app can monitor for beacons placed near the museum’s important exhibits. As a user approaches a particular exhibit, the app can use the relative distance of the beacon as a cue to provide more information about that exhibit rather than another.

Just swap museum/home and exhibit/room. Seems totally doable in a home environment.

I don’t even think iBeacons are available to consumers, but you might be able to buy some old ones off eBay and tinker with an custom app.

its a real shame they didn’t take off. A little early I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

If an Apple-centric client, I know you can use Shortcuts to kick off actions based on connecting/disconnecting to a selected Bluetooth device.   It could be anything.  So you could buy a cheap bluetooth device for each person you want to track entering the target room, pair it to the phone and then, when you walk into area, it would connect and then you could program off this connection event.  For example, you could then toggle a dummy device in HomeKit that was synced to C4 via HomeKit bridge driver and do your further programming on C4 side.  Not elegant (to say the least), but depending on how many rooms/people you want to track, you could, in theory, make your magic happen this way.  Obviously not viable to track 20 people and 20 rooms.  But 2-3 people and 2-3 rooms (not within bluetooth range of each other), then maybe doable?

Do you guys have any specific recommendations for this? I have tried buying a few BT products to see if I could get it to work but all of them turn off after a certain amount of time. Any advice would be appreciated. 

On 11/21/2023 at 10:12 PM, Southerncentralrain said:

Do you guys have any specific recommendations for this? I have tried buying a few BT products to see if I could get it to work but all of them turn off after a certain amount of time. Any advice would be appreciated. 

I was waiting for their v2 of hardware that were never launched, RoomMe allows you to have room presence by tracking BT iPhones, Google it and see if this suites you, it has a C4 driver as well, this is my only recommendation, another way which is more complex, again is to use BT gateway with HA then Import these sensors to C4 with the C4 to HA driver I pointed out earlier in this post, nothing else will work!

I am using this through HA passing the entities into C4. using Aqara Fp2 and also ESPresence. FP2 uses MMWave technology. ESPresense uses BT and works quite well. But as mentioned it has a lot more work to get it working and non C4 integrated items. Would be great to an Aqara integration direct to C4.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:33 PM, Amr said:

I was waiting for their v2 of hardware that were never launched, RoomMe allows you to have room presence by tracking BT iPhones, Google it and see if this suites you, it has a C4 driver as well, this is my only recommendation, another way which is more complex, again is to use BT gateway with HA then Import these sensors to C4 with the C4 to HA driver I pointed out earlier in this post, nothing else will work!

RoomMe turned out to be hot garbage from my testing.  Good concept, poor execution unfortunately. 

On 11/28/2023 at 5:01 PM, neil12011 said:

RoomMe turned out to be hot garbage from my testing.  Good concept, poor execution unfortunately. 

Good to know, I think they are dead, 2 years delay in a product lunch tells a lot!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.