C4 Forums | Control4

How to access control4 EA5 in VLAN44 from another WIFI VLAN41 ?

Networkguru

9 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Uh. No, thats not the same. You need to learn more about firewall/routing rules. 

Sorry, I forgot, your’e the Netgear genius  that uses stock configurations.

Give me a break.. get off that soap box again.  Just because you may have passed the Pakedge PCNA, does not mean you’re some networking guru.  You watched some videos and retained the information long enough to pass a quiz.

Your constant negativity is getting long in the tooth.  You’re no special than any other dealer here.

18 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Sorry, I forgot, your’e the Netgear genius  that uses stock configurations.

Give me a break.. get off that soap box again.  Just because you may have passed the Pakedge PCNA, does not mean you’re some networking guru.  You watched some videos and retained the information long enough to pass a quiz.

Your constant negativity is getting long in the tooth.  You’re no special than any other dealer here.

What in the absolute hell are you bumbling about? PCNA… right… 

You are an idiot. 

5 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Spoken like a true AV guy. This is why our industry sucks at networking. 

KISS is no reason to think your industry sucks at networking. If anything, it's the folks who don't know how to keep it simple, or just use networking features for no logical reason, maybe because they were taught that way, that are probably screwing up the networking.

11 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Spoken like a true AV guy. This is why our industry sucks at networking. 

I'd have to disagree. You'll find a lot of AV installers are actually better at networking than you believe, in particular for practical things which affect AV. Also, VLAN's aren't really considered advanced honestly (my coworker was trained within 10mins), unless you go completely overboard with policies. Snap even provides a 10 page guide (with a large font) on Araknis. You'll note that even their guide basically recommends KISS under their best practices (ie, do things with the least number of VLAN's you can)..

The trick is network design, which is part of why Access Networks was likely purchased by Snap, because they can facilitate that, and provide fast support for questions like the one asked by OP.

9 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Fair…as the admin on here im grouping you with the rest of us pros. 

Can you please answer NetworkGuru's question in more detail then...

• 3 weeks later...

Dear People here in the forum,
unfortunately no one answer to my question and give me some hints how to configure SSDP, MDNS IGMP Multicast etc., only andvice that i should configure only one VLAN, ok i have done this for test purpose, but unfortunately the dealer also wasn´t able to connect the control4 as expected to play music.
what is wrong, composer software ?

please help, what can i do ?
many thanks and best regards
Bernd

2 hours ago, Networkguru said:

unfortunately no one answer to my question and give me some hints how to configure SSDP, MDNS IGMP Multicast etc., only andvice that i should configure only one VLAN, ok i have done this for test purpose, but unfortunately the dealer also wasn´t able to connect the control4 as expected to play music.

Bernd

Could be anything.. Someone will likely need to log into your system

4 hours ago, Networkguru said:

Bernd

Yes it is possible to have the networks separated across vlans, but it requires some knowledge of the problem. SSDP (or C4's SDDP in this case) cannot traverse subnets so you require a method to pass/relay that information back and forth between them. That is why the majority of installers choose to have a single (flat) subnet for all your AV devices so they do not come across this issue. I've come across mostly enterprise (or enterprise-based) hardware that has the capability to pass on the traffic to the multicast address for ssdp and on its port (239.255.255.250 on UDP 1900). I have not checked but if your cisco device has Cisco PIM then you may have overcome one crucial step. However, that is not the end of the problem because if you have configured the switches for L3 routing, they would also need to know what to do with the multicast packets so either they would need to have a PIM package or you would need to route those packets up to the Cisco unit so that it can forward them on using PIM It's the same situation with other non-routable protocols like mDNS (for Chromecast): you'd either need to configure the static routings or have a relay agent that manages it for you.

It really is up to you if you want to redesign your whole network just to allow for this vlan segregation - it is no small task and which is why it is only viable if the fundamental hardware is capable of doing so in the first place.

If after creating a single subnet for your devices it still does not work, my advice would be to look if you have any firewalls in the way and use packetsniffing to trace the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,
many thanks for your support, ideas and information !

I still configured one vlan for all the control4 devices and WiFi hotspot, but only one problem still exists.

It is not possible to play songs from iPhone via airplay.

All devices are in the same vlan but cannot see any control4 device to play songs.

Do you have any idea ?

many thanks and best wishes

Networkguru 

many thanks for your answer, but the Airplay iPHone is within the same subnet as the C4 controller !
This is what is strange ?
I don´t know how to configure the C4 controller and who has access rights to it or can check the configuration ?

13 hours ago, Networkguru said:

Hi All,
many thanks for your support, ideas and information !

I still configured one vlan for all the control4 devices and WiFi hotspot, but only one problem still exists.

It is not possible to play songs from iPhone via airplay.

All devices are in the same vlan but cannot see any control4 device to play songs.

Do you have any idea ?

many thanks and best wishes

Networkguru 

It sounds like it may be a simple case of the AirPlay driver not being installed.

You can start by downloading Composer HE and connect it to your C4 network. It's not the most intuitive app if you have never seen it before so you may want to tread carefully at first and do some reading up (or watch a little YT if nothing else).

the network is nw "flat", all control4 devices and iPhones via WLAN are now in the same vlan, everything works well, beside Airplay !

i have some questions to understand, please.

1. what is the function of "Composer he" and what are the requirements ?

2. what can only a dealer configure via web ?

3. how can i get a configuration overview from my control4 devices ?

4. is it possible to access the contol4 EA% directly via ssh or https ?

5. can i configure the devices directly without a tool ?

6. for what reason is should/could use the following: https://customer.control4.com/account/system ?

i appreciate your help and support, many thanks 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.