C4 Forums | Control4

Solution: Sync SR260 Remote Control And Receiver Volume Per Button Press

Problem: When pressing the SR260 Remote Control volume up or down buttons, the volume level registered on the remote control display was one digit off the actual receiver volume.
Solution: I found out how to sync the remote control volume display to the receiver for the following devices in Composer HE by adjusting the driver options for the Denon AVR-X3800H "Command Delay-Milliseconds" field. There's probably a lot of variables with equipment used in any project so this timing change may not work or matter with other combinations.

The volume ramping of the remote control and receiver still seems to be off even after adjusting the C4 driver options for the Denon AVR-X3800H "Volume Ramp Delay-Milliseconds" field. However after the ramping finishes another volume button press seems to sync the displayed volume for the devices again. In testing the Android Control4 mobile app the volume ramping seems to sync with the actual receiver volume displayed.

Devices tested in the Composer HE project:
Denon AVR-X3800H
SR260 Remote Control

Note: It seems this issue may be noticeable more often when using the Denon AVR-X3800H driver option "Volume Step" of 1 instead of 0.5.

Edited by Thirs
Removed the Composer HE progrmaming due to loop concerns

38 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That doesn't make sense. You shouldn't have to do that 

In fact, doing that, may well create a loop that sends your volume rapidly up to maximum volume which could create chaos…

Something is very wrong and I would remove that line of code before things become much worse.

Okay, so what is the correct way to program so the case of out of sync volume updates on the remote doesn't occur? Or, is this something that I can't see in the Composer HE view?
Right, the volume for the receiver is set for 1 not .5 per increment.
Volume limit is set on the receiver so it won't ramp to max by accident for that case but I understand about a possible loop condition if that might happen.

Is this a sort of bugs you that it's one number different than the face of the AVR or are you seeing a real issue? I actually can't see my AVR's in the rack when I'm using the remote. I wouldn't care if it were 1 off because I only care if the volume sounds right for the content. It's nice to have the volume bar on the remote, otherwise if the sound isn't coming out of the speakers I might not know what the problem is...

Problem: When pressing the SR260 Remote Control volume up or down buttons, the volume level registered on the remote control display is one digit off the actual receiver volume. I would think this is a real issue since the volume values don't match.
The Denon Receiver has an option to overlay the current volume on a TV screen when the remote volume is pressed. So It's easy to see the issue in that case. I understand your point, however the remote volume displayed on button press is always one digit off the actual volume. So, it's annoying enough from my perspective. 🙂

Project versions:
Composer Home Edition: 3.4.0, Build 681327-res / OS Management Pack: 3.4.0.681327-res
Director version: 3.4.0.681769-res  

A couple of thoughts:

1. Make sure you don’t have a default volume set for the room if you are using the AVRs default volume.

2. Similarly make sure you don’t have a default volume set via a room control driver.

3. Try changing the default volume on the AVR. I had a similar problem to you where (for some reason), using a default starting volume of 50 on my Denon AVR, it was displaying as 49.5 and it was always 0.5 out from Control4.  This has never really bothered me.  But I fiddled today and seem to have fixed it.  I changed the AVR default starting volume to 60 (I also enabled max volume at 80 - which I had not done previously).   Everything worked perfectly thereafter.  I suspect that the issue and I may be totally wrong relates to the AVR range being 0-98 and not 0-100 and the AVR does som funny calculation when setting the default starting volume and occasionally gets the rounding wrong.  I am not sure if that is on what it sends to C4 or what it displays but I actually suspect the latter as I was seeing 49.5 , 50.5 etc.  now I see 60, 61 etc and can go all the way up or down without a problem.

Thanks for the comments and ideas, that was helpful. I verified no default volumes were configured in Composer (at least what I can see in HE) or the receiver. I did however find a partial solution so I edited the original post with that information. Overall I agree this is a minor issue where some timings could be changed. I'm glad the Composer driver for the receiver allowed for fine tuning the timings so that was helpful.

4 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

relates to the AVR range being 0-98 and not 0-100

Probably. You're likely to see some of these sort of oddities when the range isn't easily dividable - some devices actually use a 0-255 or 0-254, others only have 80 steps...the C4 system/driver will then 'calculate' where to be and yes that can certainly create some off readings between the two.

18 minutes ago, Thirs said:

so I edited the original post with that information

Doing this kind of thing can lead to confusion for future readers. It's always best to leave the content unless its a broken link etc.

56 minutes ago, Shoe said:

Doing this kind of thing can lead to confusion for future readers. It's always best to leave the content unless it’s a broken link etc.

This! There are now 4 or 5 responses posted that make so sense as the original post is totally different from what it used to be.