C4 Forums | Control4

Weather - particularly wind speed integration

TexasBill

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK more drama.

Yes I meant it will work, and I meant that at 99 dollars for the unit it is worth a shot to see if it is "good enough for him"

Does this make me a "Prima Dona"?

No drama here. It will work and if it doesn't, return it. I'm sure that ILoveC4 had no idea he could return it :)

Instead, why don't we continue the thread like this:

1. What are you interested in that you can't get from the weather app?

2. Are you willing to live without it integrating with C4?

3. Where is the distributor and do they have a return policy. warranty and a customer service 800 number.

All guys really want to do is control things off of some parameter like rain, wind or sun. Second, maybe display that info on existing GUIs. Currently, there are options for that but nobody wants to pony-up. There's your "drama".

^. Yeh. And you have to leave a computer on... right?

Kind of a deal breaker for me. :(

They need to come up with a Linux version and then you can connect it to a Raspberry Pi. I am sure that the power usage of <5W wouldn't disturb anyone.

I have a PC that's always on. I want to be able to execute programming based on wind speed, and execute announcements (also programming really) based on rainfall.

That sounds interesting - what types of programming would you be wanting to execute?

I have a PC that's always on. I want to be able to execute programming based on wind speed, and execute announcements (also programming really) based on rainfall.

I can address the rainfall (and have in previous posts). A $50 device is all you need. Programming amounts to recording number of "bucket tips" using HC contacts and a variable. So many of those and you shut-down the sprinklers, etc.

Another option, though not as cheap at C4UG's, are these sensors from these guys... http://www.onsetcomp.com/products/sensors/w-smc

This is a wireless soil moisture sensor, for those with sprinklers this would be the ideal way to not only decide IF to run the sprinkler but for how long to run the sprinkler.

Give me a zigbee version of that and tie it into my irrigation system and Im sold.

^I took a brief look but didn't see a reference to relays or contacts. How would this device talk to Control4?

It would require a driver but the sensor is zigbee... This is one of those "Pushing the Limits" discussions but it seems very interesting as basing your watering on actual soil moisture conditions would be the most accurate and provide the most economic and resource conservation benefit.

I see this having serious possibilities both residential and commercial use. Think about watering zones being able to decide if that specific zone needs water or not, shady areas may not need as much or any water at all while a zone in full sun may need more water. While it might rain, it may not rain enough and zones may still need to run but for shorter time periods.

I'd be interested to know how many C4 installations have irrigation systems and how many are residential vs commercial. Could be an interesting project to financially get involved in.

^I believe you are correct. The rain parameter probably relates most to lawn watering. The low-cost sensor I'm using is extremely sensitive so the usefulness becomes a little vague. The kids flip-out when it announces rain because they like to play in puddles...

I have a PC that's always on. I want to be able to execute programming based on wind speed' date=' and execute announcements (also programming really) based on rainfall.[/quote']

That sounds interesting - what types of programming would you be wanting to execute?

I have shades that I want to pull up in the wind and I want to execute an announcement when rainfall is detected. I have a long drive, and it takes quite a bit longer when it's raining.

To further this discussion, can Control4 integrate with the information that comes from a Westher Underground weather station? In other words, rather than purchase a weather station, can I pull information directly from the Weather Underground weather station near my home and use it to control my HVAC, etc?

A driver could probably be made to read from weather underground's website, referencing your local station, and then you could use that driver's variables to program in Control4.

It's a bit more involved than most end users and some dealers would do, though.

RyanE

I have a PC that's always on. I want to be able to execute programming based on wind speed' date=' and execute announcements (also programming really) based on rainfall.[/quote']

I have shades that I want to pull up in the wind and I want to execute an announcement when rainfall is detected. I have a long drive, and it takes quite a bit longer when it's raining.

My dealer added on a rain sensor for $35.00 that allows me to shut all open windows and make an announcement if moisture is detected. It really was worth the money.

My SOMFY outdoor shades came WITH a wind sensor that raises them when the wind gets high.

(I still would like a weather station though as well).

Bill

Cumulus works with Weather Underground but its more sending the info to W.U. than pulling it from it.

This is the one I'm recommending for those using the EV driver with our server http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-2080-Wireless-Station/dp/B003OSJ08S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351178453&sr=8-3&keywords=ambient+weather for $109.99.

I have shades that I want to pull up in the wind and I want to execute an announcement when rainfall is detected. I have a long drive' date=' and it takes quite a bit longer when it's raining.[/quote']

My dealer added on a rain sensor for $35.00 that allows me to shut all open windows and make an announcement if moisture is detected. It really was worth the money.

My SOMFY outdoor shades came WITH a wind sensor that raises them when the wind gets high.

(I still would like a weather station though as well).

Bill

So are you agreeing with me that for $50 (or under in your case) you could get half of what I mentioned (without 3rd party intervention) in my above post? The shade control is not going to be $50 in any case but I think people know that already.

Archived