C4 Forums | Control4

Gererate Cert failure

jfournier69

What can I say.  I'm a do it yourselfer as much as possible.  Over the last two years I have pieced my control4 system together through many purchases.  It is a simple system thus far. I have three touch screens, an HC1000 (which was an accidental purchase), an HC800, 16 channel amp, and radio tuner.  That is all I require for now.  Eventually I will add thermostats, lighting options, and possible motion sensors to the system, but as of now, all I want to do is use my touchscreens to be able to control music throughout my home . I have in ceiling speakers all hooked to the control4 amp. 

Now that this is out of the way, here is my issue.  I have both composer HE and pro.  I have an account at my.control4.com.  When I open composer and select connect on local network, I see both controllers.  I select either, say in this case the 800.  Project HC800 comes up (on the left). In the center of the screen, it shows no connections, but the green icon in the bottom right corner is telling me that the director is connected.  I can also see all touchscreens and other devices on the network on the far right of the screen.  I am trying to register the controller to my control4 account.  I get the registration code, and when I attempt to register the controller though composer, I get the following message:  "Error activating controller.  Gererate Cert failure.  Generation of certificate failed.  Connections for director are still being established. Please reidentify controller and then complete registration."

I run diagnostics on the controller and everything is good to go.  I try to register the  controller via touchscreen and nothing happens.  Someone please tell me what I'm missing here before I get any more gray hair or just simply pull it out!

He's a dealer, thats the only way to have Pro. :wacko:

It's getting hilarious really.

Actually no its pissing me off, WTF I only spend a truck load and apparently only got half the programming !

Not trying to start another debate but how does one get his hands on a functional PRO, that to me brings up some questions that possibly some dealers would not want to answer.

Rant over.

I have a great dealer and would probably screw things up with more access as my tech knowledge is limited, but learning.

At what point in the process do I need to use a dealer? Here's the scenario. I have three touch screens, all installed and powered through POE, an HC800, an HC1000 for media storage, an 8 zone amp, and the dual tuner. All of the devices are connected to the home network. If I purchase composer HE and a subscription to 4sight so I can even use composer, at what point do I need a dealer. I'm not doubting your word at all, I just feel like maybe I'm missing a big step in the process then? 

This is a post of yours from July of 2013 we told you then it is time for you to get a dealer and this remains true today. You have found a cracked version of composer pro, but that does not automatically mean you know WHAT to do.

Please hire one of the dealers on this forum who do remote work, the time you save will be well worth the dollars spent

Brent

Instead of worrying about the inconsequential and all the ranting and raving maybe there is a solution out there. I misspoke. It is not pro. I just updated to a newer version of home. For some reason I thought it was pro. And yes it is registered. Everything is legit. Why can't I register the controller? Why do I keep getting this error?

Instead of worrying about the inconsequential and all the ranting and raving maybe there is a solution out there. I misspoke. It is not pro. I just updated to a newer version of home. For some reason I thought it was pro. And yes it is registered. Everything is legit. Why can't I register the controller? Why do I keep getting this error?

And I don't care if you have Pro or home version of Composer, Time to contact a dealer. Why are you fighting this? Neil (from this forum) can have you up and running in no time and (probably) less than you are expecting. Please call a dealer who does remote work.

Edit

Jfournier69

If you only have composer HE you CAN NOT do the steps necessary to register the device.

If you have composer pro, then you do not have the knowledge to do the steps necessary, I really don't care which program you have but you need the help of a dealer to get going.

After the proper steps have been taken then you can do what you want.

By the way just getting it registered will not help your problem, You need the basics done, and then you can register it. But registering it will not help in getting the basics done.

Please contact a dealer 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hacked Pro shouldn't matter.  But having 2 controllers running director isn't good.

To the OP:

Get rid of the HC1000.  There's no reason to use a HC1000 if you already have a HC800.  Only one controller can run director, apparently you have 2 controllers running director.   The HC1000 is obsolete in your situation.

Archived