C4 Forums | Control4

Best device for Netflix integration?

epike

Roku is better than AppleTV primarily due to the dedicated channel icon, after that once you're in Netflix it really matters little. AppleTV if you already are big into the Apple/iTunes ecosystem, otherwise there really is no benefit. I have most all players between home and work but actually prefer the Netflix interface in the AppleTV over my AmazonFire and Roku. I would suggest taking a look at both and see which interface you like better. To me the one in AmazonFire is crap compared to Roku and really compared to AppleTV but that may just be because that's what I'm used to since that was my first streaming media player. Clear/muddy enough? ;)

3 minutes ago, d1amund said:

Roku is better than AppleTV primarily due to the dedicated channel icon, after that once you're in Netflix it really matters little. AppleTV if you already are big into the Apple/iTunes ecosystem, otherwise there really is no benefit. I have most all players between home and work but actually prefer the Netflix interface in the AppleTV over my AmazonFire and Roku. I would suggest taking a look at both and see which interface you like better. To me the one in AmazonFire is crap compared to Roku and really compared to AppleTV but that may just be because that's what I'm used to since that was my first streaming media player. Clear/muddy enough? ;)

This is exactly what I should have said in my post. My family will typically start AppleTV and then Netflix rather than cranking up the Roku directly into Netflix. But this changes when the apps are updated. Used to use the Netflix app built into the old TV because it was more consistent when streaming. Then it was Roku. Then it was ATV. Now we have a new AndroidTV and "Ok, google..." 

But to give them one button access to Netflix via C4, it's Roku or AndroidTV apps. 

Just to muddy it some more...

I also like the Apple TV Netflix interface better than Roku, but we could live with either.  I only recently bought a Roku to experiment to help make this decision.  It does seem like Roku has more to offer, but we use Netflix more than anything else and we are a split Android/iPhone house.  Maybe we could have a Roku and Apple TV on each TV (we aren't doing a matrix), using Apple TV for Netflix and Airplay and Roku for everything else?  On the other hand, I don't think Apple TV Netflix supports 4K, if/when that becomes relevant (we will probably only upgrade 1 TV to 4K in the near term).

7 minutes ago, epike said:

On the other hand, I don't think Apple TV Netflix supports 4K, if/when that becomes relevant (we will probably only upgrade 1 TV to 4K in the near term).

I'm going down this road right now. Just put the 4k on the wall and I'm pretty much moving the old peripherals with the old TV except the AppleTV. With 4k iPhones, I feel certain the next iteration of the ATV will be 4k so I'll wait for that to happen.  

If you have any of the newer Sony 4K Tvs you can have an automatic option on a C4 (250/260/app) remote to go right into Netflix off the tv apps. I use it for the uhd stuff, otherwise I just use the Apple TV interface. 

IMG_2340.PNG

4 hours ago, d1amund said:

I have both players and I totally agree with you except I don't care about the dedicated icon on Roku. I think the interface is more important and I find it easier to browse for the channels I want with the Apple TV.  I gave my Amazon fire to my son.

I might go a different way with this as I was hoping to find one perfect device...never usually possible.

I get the roku has great integration with tons of apps, but I also love kodi. Roku can't get kodi so if I had to pick one box right now it would be the new shield.

Roku vs shield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived