C4 Forums | Control4

Need faster Fire TV gui / menu control in C4?

videostorm

• 1 month later...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I will say is that Alanchow's support is amazing... probably worth the price of the driver in and of itself.

BTW, the same may very well be (and likely is) true of Video Storm as well. I just haven't used any of his products until now. 

Good luck, and please consider sharing back your experience in order to build up some knowledge on these new drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm a little lost.  I installed the irUSB into the empty FireTV USB port, downloaded the IRUSB software.  When I run the software I get the screen attached.  Does this mean it doesn't see the irUSB?

RussellB

20180309_124609.jpg

The version of the FireTV I have has an open USB port.  I tried the irUSB in a newer FireTV with an OTG cable and it works.

Is there something with respect to permissions?  The FireTV is a second generation.  It has a micro SD slot.  On the 3-Gen when I installed the software it asked for access to the USB port.

6 minutes ago, RussellB said:

The version of the FireTV I have has an open USB port.  I tried the irUSB in a newer FireTV with an OTG cable and it works.

Is there something with respect to permissions?  The FireTV is a second generation.  It has a micro SD slot.

IrUSB does work on the 2nd gen Fire TVs (verified in our lab).  Are you sure you don't have 1st gen?  

Oopsey, it's a first-gen.  Ethernet port on the back instead of optical out.  Am I in Barney? Like Rubble.  Trouble.  It's from Ocean's 11.  I am using the third gen now.  I had an OTG cable, along with a hub to add to it so I should be good to go.

Oh, I also modified the driver to support 50 apps.  I had done the same with the amazon fire driver.

45 minutes ago, RussellB said:

Oopsey, it's a first-gen.  Ethernet port on the back instead of optical out.  Am I in Barney? Like Rubble.  Trouble.  It's from Ocean's 11.  I am using the third gen now.  I had an OTG cable, along with a hub to add to it so I should be good to go.

Oh, I also modified the driver to support 50 apps.  I had done the same with the amazon fire driver.

Yeah, no go with the gen 1s.  50 apps?  Somebody really likes variety :)

Yeah.  Interestingly enough not all the custom channels I created work with the new driver.  For example, the Pluto TV driver I wrote doesn't launch with the new driver.

But the Plex driver I wrote works fine.  And some of the pre-existing ones are not working either.  I'm assuming that with the new version of the Fire stick the domain names changed on the applications.  Hulu, Pandora, Pluto TV, Disney Jr.

• 3 months later...

Using an NVidia Shield.

How do I map the "Menu" button on the SR-260 to take me home? Can you guys add that to the Driver's properties? This is the behavior in every other Media Box.

When fast forwarding, press and hold doesn't work. Any plans to fix this?

14 minutes ago, eddy.trochez said:

Using an NVidia Shield.

How do I map the "Menu" button on the SR-260 to take me home? Can you guys add that to the Driver's properties? This is the behavior in every other Media Box.

When fast forwarding, press and hold doesn't work. Any plans to fix this?

Menu maps to Android Keycode_menu.  This keycode is used in a lot of apps.  Why not just use one of the other options for the HOME key on the driver (GUIDE key or one of the colored buttons)?

The best place to request new features and changes is at NetPlay support ticket system 

47 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Menu maps to Android Keycode_menu.  This keycode is used in a lot of apps.  Why not just use one of the other options for the HOME key on the driver (GUIDE key or one of the colored buttons)?

The best place to request new features and changes is at NetPlay support ticket system 

Got it. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, zaphod said:

But you don't need the IRUSB since the Cube has built-in IR blasting, correct?

IRUSB is for IP control of the Fire Cube in C4.  It also gives you IR output to control something else.  The Fire Cube has IR output also, but not controllable with C4.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, icefloe01 said:

Will this allow a Fire TV to still be IP controlled with the new security update to the Fire TV that breaks IP control with Control 4's driver?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yes, but it doesn't use the control4 driver. it either uses a "lite" free driver from Video storm (on their website) or a more feature rich driver from Chowmain soft that costs $$

yes, but it doesn't use the control4 driver. it either uses a "lite" free driver from Video storm (on their website) or a more feature rich driver from Chowmain soft that costs $$
Yes, I know it doesn't use the C4 driver. I actually have this device & free driver myself for my Nvidia shield. I work for a company that does Control 4 installation and am considering recommending this for all our customers that have Fire TVs (some as many as four in a house) on Control 4 to get around their security update that breaks the IP controllability with C4's driver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived