C4 Forums | Control4

Can dealer remote in to set-up/program new TV?

Looks like I need to get a new TV for our family room.  If I buy the TV and install it (making all the cable connections), would a dealer be able to just remote in to incorporate it into my system and program it to work with the C4 remote, etc. by just having the make and model of the TV?  Or, does the dealer need to physically come out to take care of getting it up and running?  Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pinkoos said:

Looks like I need to get a new TV for our family room.  If I buy the TV and install it (making all the cable connections), would a dealer be able to just remote in to incorporate it into my system and program it to work with the C4 remote, etc. by just having the make and model of the TV?  Or, does the dealer need to physically come out to take care of getting it up and running?  Thanks.

Which model TV is it?  If the TV already has a control4 driver, it shouldn't take too long at all.  You just need to put the IR bud in the right spot, OR, there might already be an IP driver.  I can set that up for you if you like.    PM me.

+1 on the samsungs with IP drivers.  I recently changed nearly ever TV in my house to Samsung. ranging from 40 to 75.  The IP driver works great.

Also I work with @AK1 on my system.  He is remote, prompt and know his stuff.  So yes it can be done, if you can get everything plugged in and communicate what is where.

You could also try typing in the model number of the TV you're considering to see if its on the list.  Or add an "*" close  the end without typing the full model number and you'll see a larger list with models that are closely matched up until the * character.  Click the driver and it will display more info. Look at the "control method".  You will see IR, IP, or Serial.  The same TV may have 2 different drivers.  Depending on control.

So I used the link posted above (and in another thread) and typed in every model number in the pics (posted in another thread).  The only TV that came up with a green check mark and control method listed as IP is the LG 55UK6500AUA.

All the others either don't have the green check marked (and have the control method listed as serial) or are not in the database at all.

Wondering if maybe a model like the Samsung UN55MU6290 would be listed as 6300 in the database?  Just not sure why these are not showing up when everything I've heard is that Samsung and LG should have IP drivers.  Thanks.

Ended up with the Samsung UN58MU6070.  Just need to get it configured with Control4 now.  Any way to know if there is an IP driver for it and/or if I still need the IR blaster stuck to the front?

6 hours ago, CFUG said:

Closest I see is a UN58MU6100 Network driver.  I would try it.

I think that should probably work as I think the main difference is that the 6100 has 3 HDMI vs 2 HDMI in the model I bought.

6 hours ago, CFUG said:

Correct, in fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a IR driver.  You're talking to the wrong person about IP drivers.  I gave up them and went 100% IR and haven't looked back.

So I'm confused, are IP drivers better than IR or vice versa?

Well, if I had confidence, I'd try a IP driver first.  But I don't.  In your case, only a IP driver appears available.  I don't doubt that there is some Samy IR driver that might work too but I would think you want all the functionality and the two-way comms that only a network driver will provide.  So, load-up the driver I found and let us know how it works out.

Hopefully, not being able to address that third HDMI won't be a hang-up for you...

IR vs. IP is a holy war.  Think Christians vs. Romans.

I'm an IP fan.  The one thing that IR can never give is feedback to C4.  IP drivers can be written to incorporate feedback.  For example, I have 2 AVRs in my house, one is controlled by IR and one by IP.  The one that is controlled by IP has numbers in the volume slider in my C4 navigators.  The one using IR doesn't.  This is because C4 is able to ask my IP controlled AVR "What's your volume setting" or "Set your volume to 40%".  On the other hand, all my IR controlled AVR can do is "volume up" and "volume down".

In the case of my LG and Sony smart TVs, the driver is able to figure out what smart apps are installed, select a smart app at power on, direct input selection, and I'm sure a zillion other things I don't even realize is happening.

Archived