C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - LIFX Wifi Lighting Driver

alanchow

$300 was somewhat (except in California:-) a euphemism. Regardless the cost an end user shouldn't have to contact an integrator or anyone else just to add a light bulb. Can you imagine if every time you bought a new printer or plugged in a USB stick you had to call Dell or Apple to tell your system it existed?  This is a very outdated way of doing things. 

Another issue we're having is execution. When we can create a scene with some LIFX lamps with proper values and then execute the scene we feel like we're playing roulette. For example, going from a scene of three LIFX lamps being 3000° @ 100% to two of them being blue (color=59) @ 100% we'll see a variety of colors appear in the lamps and will sometimes, after some time, get to what they are supposed to be. Sometimes not. One might get to the proper blue and another might give end up white of some temp.

These lamps all work properly w/ the LIFX app.

Internet connection is 1gb with very low latency and no recorded dropouts.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, TundraSonic said:

$300 was somewhat (except in California:-) a euphemism. Regardless the cost an end user shouldn't have to contact an integrator or anyone else just to add a light bulb. Can you imagine if every time you bought a new printer or plugged in a USB stick you had to call Dell or Apple to tell your system it existed?  This is a very outdated way of doing things. 

Not going to hijack the thread, but please post in the general forum or reply to one of the 100's of other threads in the general forum on this topic. C4 is a dealer based system, when sold to you it should have been clear.  You can do a lot with Composer Home Edition (which gives you way more control than RTI, Savant, Crestron, etc) but it still not 100% DIY Friendly

as mentioned if you need support: http://www.chowmainsoft.com/support

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2020 at 10:37 AM, TundraSonic said:

Another issue we're having is execution. When we can create a scene with some LIFX lamps with proper values and then execute the scene we feel like we're playing roulette. For example, going from a scene of three LIFX lamps being 3000° @ 100% to two of them being blue (color=59) @ 100% we'll see a variety of colors appear in the lamps and will sometimes, after some time, get to what they are supposed to be. Sometimes not. One might get to the proper blue and another might give end up white of some temp.

These lamps all work properly w/ the LIFX app.

Internet connection is 1gb with very low latency and no recorded dropouts.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I realize this thread is dated, but I ran across it when looking for LIFX drivers. Maybe your problem lies in the fact that you have 64 LIFX bulbs. I can’t imagine what your WiFi RF spectrum looks like!😁

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When using the LIFX driver via Control4 is there is a known delay between command responses?  I have some of my remote buttons programmed for my room with LIFX BR30 bulbs and each colored button on remote will change the light color or brightness.  However, there is always a delay and the lights do not respond for a short period of time between commands.  Is this a known bug?

I think I figured out the issue of slow responses using the driver. Most of my commands were based on an IF command for what the current light level was. I'm assuming that has to check through the cloud what the light level is creating a slight delay. What I've done to remedy this is create a variable in Control4 that is the light value so that the checking of that value is much quicker and therefore bypasses the cloud for checking what the actual brightness level is. This in turn allows the LIFX light to utilize the driver in the fast manner bypassing the cloud.

• 10 months later...

Major Update

Version 20220725 - 2022-JUL-25

By popular request, we went back to the drawing board and are proud to introduce our new LIFX V3 drivers. LIFX V3 is our new from-scratch rewritten LIFX driver. Designed for OS 3.3 or later, it now utilises UDP / Local Network Connections for improved performance and reliability, and no longer requires the cloud. Due to the large number of changes required, it is not backwards compatible with our existing drivers, and they will need to be replaced entirely.

Some of the new benefits over V2/V1 includes:

• Faster performance. Latency of commands is reduced from seconds to milliseconds
  • More reliable communication with the ability to resend unacknowledged commands
  • Infrared light brightness support via command (compatible hardware required)
  • HEV disinfection support to kill bacteria and sanitise surfaces (compatible hardware required)
  • Modern Diagnostics / Troubleshooting infrastructure
  • Significantly faster deployment. New One-Touch Auto-Setup will install drivers and setup devices. Personal Access Token is no longer required.
  • And many new features

Our new driver is composed of 2 parts:

LIFX V3 Agent (Optional)

• Provides device management, IP Healing capabilities and troubleshooting
  • Detect and display information on all devices
  • One-Touch Automatic setup of new drivers
  • This new Agent replaces the original Master Driver. Tokens are not required for local control (for many installers, it will be plug and play)

LIFX V3 Light

• Provides Lighting control
  • Auto-Detection of lighting capabilities, and self-setup of the device
  • This new driver requires OS 3.3 or later.

Please note:

1. Because of the breadth of the LIFX changes, LIFX V3 is not compatible with LIFX V2/V1, and it is strongly recommended to replace all old drivers
  2. Due to deficiencies in the LIFX Group LAN/UDP protocol, native LIFX groups are not supported. Advanced Lighting scenes may be used as an alternative (and native C4 scenes are expected to be implemented in the future)

We would like to thank everyone who assisted with testing including:

• All of our Beta testers
  • Tony Audia
  • TundraSonic
  • Mitch Greenfield
  • Carlos Kam

Version 20220609 - 2022-JUN-09

• More defence against Code crashes. Bad feedback won't break feedback for all lights (Master)
  • Fix Crash caused when Lights are added after initial setup. Detected by Automated code tests (Master)

Version 20220608 - 2022-JUN-08

• Fix Voice Scene / Alexa support (Light) - Thanks Trey Nolan / Eldon

Version 20220602 - 2022-JUN-02

This is a huge new release with some major new changes

• New OS3.3.0 compliant Lighting driver, with Lightwheel support (Light V2).
    • This new driver supports both groups and lights
    • Native Color Support
    • Hue / CCT button links for integration with SnapAV's Keypads or other compatible hardware. -- Thanks Kenton Matthews
    • Add Power On Behavior to adjust default Power on Mode (Light V2) - Thanks Kenton Matthews
    • Improved Ramping System (Light V2) -- Thanks Kenton Matthews
    • Load Groups
      • Lights can now be used in combination with Control4's Dimmer Load Group Driver for control of multiple lights with a single driver. Please note, color control is not supported at this time
  • New Diagnostics System (all)
    • Improved Debugging on all drivers to assist with troubleshooting
    • Self-diagnose issues. Simply use the Display Diagnostics action built into the driver.
    • Or, for additional assistance, use Submit Diagnostics to send a diagnostic report to the Chowmain support team, which you can use in your support ticket.
  • Fix Crash on Feedback for original V1 Lighting Driver (Light)
  • Improve Handling of bad feedback (Light)
  • Fix Turn On / Off Light Action (Light) -- Thanks Mitch Greenfield
  • Allow Poll Rate To be Set for general polling, and post-action polling to improve performance. WARNING, setting these rates too fast may lead to Rate Limits being hit on server (Master)
  • Fix Minor Crash (Master) - Thanks Mitch Greenfield
  • Remove Auto Setup From Group Driver. (Group)
  • Modify Button Link Connections. Add Hue / CCT button links. Fix All Button Links (Light V2) -- Thanks Kenton Matthews

Also, just a heads up. With our V3 driver, its a total rewrite. So, keep in mind, the replacement for Master is an Agent (so is found in the agents tab in Composer, NOT system design). And, the easiest way to set it up is to use our auto-setup in the Agent (which will scan the network and add the light devices automatically). The light drivers will configure themselves after they are added (you will require OS 3.3 for this new driver). 

As a bonus, no need for personal access token anymore either. 

• 3 weeks later...

G'day, 

If you're using the LIFX V3 Agent / Light, 20220812 will be online shortly, and should have some performance updates (utilising some new features built into OS3). It will mainly affect large LIFX installs. You'll have to reboot the controller after installing the drivers to enable the new Performance improvements. 

If you're still using V1 or V2 Light, Master or group driver, make sure you update to V3 for the best experience

43 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

G'day, 

If you're using the LIFX V3 Agent / Light, 20220812 will be online shortly, and should have some performance updates (utilising some new features built into OS3). It will mainly affect large LIFX installs. You'll have to reboot the controller after installing the drivers to enable the new Performance improvements. 

If you're still using V1 or V2 Light, Master or group driver, make sure you update to V3 for the best experience

If I have LIFX V3 Agent and Light drivers in my system, will they auto upgrade to 20220812?

3 hours ago, C4 User said:

If I have LIFX V3 Agent and Light drivers in my system, will they auto upgrade to 20220812?

They should auto-upgrade within the next week..

You'll have to reboot the controller after the upgrade though (if the reboot isn't performed, the drivers will perform almost exactly the same as the old version, with some very minor updates internally).

EDIT: 20220812 is now online

• 1 year later...

Just an update, I've updated to the version 3 driver and now this issue has again started up again.  From what I can tell, the issue is with the Advanced Lighting Agent.  Apparently, setting the LIFX brightness to 0% in lighting agent does not set the LIFX bulb to 0% but rather 1% as shown in the LIFX app.  

Not sure if this is something that can be fixed but it's pretty damn annoying to wake up in the middle of the night with 1 of 4 light bulbs in your master bedroom coming on randomly for no reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.