C4 Forums | Control4

Multiple Houses

South Africa C4 user

As I have 2 Control4 systems in 2 homes, I find it frustrating that I cannot have Intercom Anywhere live for both of them (on the same phone) at the same time.  This would be a nice improvement.

Thinking about this got me thinking that what would be really really cool would be to have the ability to use the intercom functionality on T3s work between houses... I.e. I’d love to use my T3 in my home to call a T3 in my Beach house... I am currently using Intercom anywhere to do this from my phone...

I do realize that my use case is probably fairly limited!

it would also be nice to be able to see the camera picture from a T3 in the cameras view of the main app.

should be possible to create a vpn between networks and  make it into one large project. Also believe there is a MDU agent to allow several system to connect to the same intercom but i do not know if this would work in this case.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:22 PM, Matt Lowe said:

should be possible to create a vpn between networks and  make it into one large project. Also believe there is a MDU agent to allow several system to connect to the same intercom but i do not know if this would work in this case.

Thanks! Interesting suggestions!

7 hours ago, lippavisual said:

VPN connection would be way to slow if you went that route.

Unfortunately, the only way I know to make this happen and work consistently well would be with Mikrotik routers at each site and use EOIP tunnels.

Lots of choices though for site to site. I'm not sure I could make a statement like a vpn would be way to slow. Plenty of vpn's are making the world work site to site. Almost every major networking equipment brand has a solution.

I think it's an interesting idea to connect the two houses. If good internet could be had at both locations or you could get line of sight lots of cool things could happen. I hope that the OP gets it working.

The majority of my clients have multiple properties and the amount of revenue lost due to the fact you cant be simultaneously logged into two systems is saddening and frustrating. I posted on the dealer fourms about this recently and it's the same with many other dealers. There are complicated ways of doing it, we have one client who asks me weekly if C4 has changed anything on this front. I'm speaking to one company who claim they can but I'm very pessimistic about it tbh. I know for sure I'm not getting involved in it until (IF) it's ever an official feature. 

I believe the DS2 should of shipped with this functionality considering its target market. 

21 minutes ago, 3D - Benn said:

I believe the DS2 should of shipped with this functionality considering its target market. 

why would it make sense for just the ds2 to ship like this but none of the rest of the platform?

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

why would it make sense for just the ds2 to ship like this but none of the rest of the platform?

What about his statement did you interpret as binary?

It is an obvious need for this product.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:16 PM, Pounce said:

Lots of choices though for site to site. I'm not sure I could make a statement like a vpn would be way to slow. Plenty of vpn's are making the world work site to site. Almost every major networking equipment brand has a solution.

I think it's an interesting idea to connect the two houses. If good internet could be had at both locations or you could get line of sight lots of cool things could happen. I hope that the OP gets it working.

Unicast traffic, sure vpn would be fine.  Multicast  traffic would require a lot of work on the network engineer to get both sites connected and working properly.  I foresee that communication to be slow.  Not saying it wouldn’t work, I just don’t think it would be a solution I’d offer.  I may have to test this from my office to my house and see what happens.

Thats why I suggested EoIP would be the best choice because it allows all traffic both ways, untouched.  Only slowness factor would be the ISP services at each site and the path between locations.

Because when clients want to switch over from one account to another within the C4 app, it's to control something in another one of their properties for a specific reason at a specific time.

Unless they are telepathic and know some one is going to shortly press the call button on their DS2 to which they are not currently logged into on their Intercom anywhere app then it will not call through to their phone.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, 3D - Benn said:

Because when clients want to switch over from one account to another within the C4 app, it's to control something in another one of their properties for a specific reason at a specific time.

Unless they are telepathic and know some one is going to shortly press the call button on their DS2 to which they are not currently logged into on their Intercom anywhere app then it will not call through to their phone.

I’ve been trying out my telepathic skills but I am not getting it right...

Archived