C4 Forums | Control4

PSA: Apple TV tvOS 13 killed my remote programming

pinkoos

1 minute ago, EverAction said:

Totally. In the C4 world, Roku is the undisputed king no question. I feel like they're the gold standard for CI.

yup - rock solid and watch --> Apps on your remote doesn't get any better!  Especially if you are just using Netflix, Hulu and the likes, no advantages of ATV

1 hour ago, EverAction said:

Let's not embellish too much. Their walled garden is the issue here, not so much bugs. Granted iOS 13 has been a bit bumpy, but we were due for that considering how iOS 12 focused on tightening things up and 13's focus is adding features.

Anyways I digress. Instead of providing a method of control outside of their walled garden, their idea of using HomeBridge as a proxy into the garden has quite obviously not gone well. Will it get fixed at some point, hopefully. But IMO, the damage has been done with integrating Apple stuff a long time ago. Apple diehards don't care about the shortcomings in regards to integration, but they are losing the fringe users.

yep. I have an ATV 3 (?) that uses the old unsupported IP driver and it is still kicking but I use Roku as my main streamer now. I only use the apple tv for airplay and the apple movies I have previously bought. apple is supposed to be making an apple tv app for roku for their apple tv + service. wonder if it will let users view movies and tv shows they have bought as well (that is if they even make the app outside of ATV).

Just now, therockhr said:

yep. I have an ATV 3 (?) that uses the old unsupported IP driver and it is still kicking but I use Roku as my main streamer now. I only use the apple tv for airplay and the apple movies I have previously bought. apple is supposed to be making an apple tv app for roku for their apple tv + service. wonder if it will let users view movies and tv shows they have bought as well (that is if they even make the app outside of ATV).

Hope so. It would be the nail in the coffin for AppleTV for CI.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, therockhr said:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/15/roku-apple-tv-app-available-today/

Roku today announced that the Apple TV app will be available on its platform starting today, allowing users to access their iTunes libraries of movies and TV shows, Apple TV Channels, and soon Apple TV+.

With this news I dont know how much I will be firing up my ATV anymore. This should be pretty cool!

3 hours ago, therockhr said:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/15/roku-apple-tv-app-available-today/

Roku today announced that the Apple TV app will be available on its platform starting today, allowing users to access their iTunes libraries of movies and TV shows, Apple TV Channels, and soon Apple TV+.

With this news I dont know how much I will be firing up my ATV anymore. This should be pretty cool!

Ding dong the witch is dead! 😂

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Still ATV is a beautiful interface and much better viewing experience, integration is limited for now but let’s wait and see they are always late in entrance but catching up   in 10-15 years 😂😂

That’s true. The ATV interface is very nice but right now I think the features of Roku and it’s integration make it the clear choice for anyone using Control4. 

2 hours ago, Amr said:

Why people drive BMW’s while there other cars?

You tell me, and while you're add it tell me what you mean by a better viewing experience. Does the ATV make for a more comfortable seating arrangement while watching?

Is it more quiet? Handles better? How does it do those things for you?

These are simple, honest questions, and making a comparison like you did doesn't any questions, as per above, that's just dodging it.

Again, AppleTV has a nice interface to select apps....but with a Roku you wouldn't need ANY interface as you'd just go straight to apps.

31 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Why are you 2 doing this?

If I'm missing something and advising people poorly I want to know.  He said it's a better viewing experience.  How?  If you can't describe how it's better, then it's preference.  WHich is ok, but just say I prefer an Apple TV.

37 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I'm nothing more or less than honestly wondering what he means by 'better viewing experience'.

Is it the interface, is it other apps available, is he experiencing better quality video or audio? Are the apps working better or otherwise different in a significant way on one vs the other?

As per above - if I'm missing a piece of information, then I'd love to know.

Coming back with the BMW reference is silly as it doesn't explain WHY it's 'better'.

48 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Dealers are fed up with having to eat costs and change implementations across the life of the AppleTV. What you are seeing is the frustrations/scorn . They are laying it on thick but I do not blame them whatsoever.

As much as the end-users are annoyed at this situation, dealers are pissed off. The good ones are not making a dime off of this fiasco, and I would even say that they are losing money due to it.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

If I'm missing something and advising people poorly I want to know.  He said it's a better viewing experience.  How?  If you can't describe how it's better, then it's preference.  WHich is ok, but just say I prefer an Apple TV.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

I'm nothing more or less than honestly wondering what he means by 'better viewing experience'.

Is it the interface, is it other apps available, is he experiencing better quality video or audio? Are the apps working better or otherwise different in a significant way on one vs the other?

As per above - if I'm missing a piece of information, then I'd love to know.

Coming back with the BMW reference is silly as it doesn't explain WHY it's 'better'.

You all knew he meant he just preferred the Apple TV interface (as lots of others do). Just stop it.

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

You all knew he meant he just preferred the Apple TV interface (as lots of others do). Just stop it.

22 hours ago, Amr said:

Still ATV is a beautiful interface and much better viewing experience, integration is limited for now but let’s wait and see they are always late in entrance but catching up   in 10-15 years 😂😂<span>

Yes we knew he meant he refers the AppleTV interface. He said it.

We're curious about the "much better viewing experience" part.

Did I stepped on some one toes? Anyways, for sure slicker interface, better navigation with apps, over all polished experience, etc.  Don’t you still have customers that prefers Apple to Roku? Am not talking about integration now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.