C4 Forums | Control4

Help - Neutral cut from switch

I bought these switches (not dimmers) used so I guess I get what I pay for! But is there any way to make this work? Why would someone cut the neutral wire on the switch so short? I was thinking if possibly soldering a wire to the stub. Bad idea?

Thanks,

Jeff

278f6d62f385dde70926942446b84467.jpg

well you need the neutral wire in order for it to work, so yes your option is to splice or solder on to that stub.  why did they cut it that short? laziness in removing it probably...since it was probably tied into a bundle of neutral wires in the back of the box and they didn't feel like removing the other switches in the box to get to it.

I think I will try to solder a wire onto the existing stub of a wire. I probably would damage the circuit board if I tried to replace the wire. Resoldering to a board is something I have zero experience with. Maybe someone else has done this and will respond.

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

I think I will try to solder a wire onto the existing stub of a wire. I probably would damage the circuit board if I tried to replace the wire. Resoldering to a board is something I have zero experience with. Maybe someone else has done this and will respond.

I've done it, and can attest to the fact that it's harder than you might think. I'm sure it's like most things where if you're good at it and know how to do it it's no big deal. For the inexperienced person like me it's tricky and easy to get solder where you don't want it.

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Don't attempt soldering to the board.  You'll most likely burn a hole through it trying to de-solder the wire out, let alone adding it back.

Grab a new piece of wire and heat shrink.  Strip back both wires and solder, then heat shrink over it.

I would solder a new wire. Doesn't take much to heat the wire up and pull it out, it takes a lot to damage a circuit board. Trick is getting the excess solder out so you can put the new wire in. Rework station is the easiest way, but a solder sucker or solder wick gets the job done.  

Depending on the hole size and wire size you could heat up the hole to melt the remaining solder and slide the wire in. Cleaning and tinning the soldering iron with flux core solder right before touching to the hole is key. 

11 minutes ago, KWD said:

I would solder a new wire. Doesn't take much to heat the wire up and pull it out, it takes a lot to damage a circuit board. Trick is getting the excess solder out so you can put the new wire in. Rework station is the easiest way, but a solder sucker or solder wick gets the job done.  

Depending on the hole size and wire size you could heat up the hole to melt the remaining solder and slide the wire in. Cleaning and tinning the soldering iron with flux core solder right before touching to the hole is key. 

All those things you said lend credence to exactly what I stated above. Clearly you do this often and know what you're doing. Most people do not.

1 hour ago, KWD said:

That's you.  Not most people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.